Illuminating Quotes by Malcolm Namdrol-la

Forum for discussion of Tibetan Buddhism. Questions specific to one school are best posted in the appropriate sub-forum.
Schrödinger’s Yidam

Re: Illuminating Quotes by Malcolm Namdrol-la

Post by Schrödinger’s Yidam »

Malcolm wrote: Tue Jun 23, 2020 8:35 pm
smcj wrote: Tue Jun 23, 2020 8:25 pm
Malcolm wrote:That's because you can't produce a sūtra passage which says this; though certainly in the tantras you can find passages which _seem_ to say things like this; but they cannot be taken literally, nor are they meant to taken literally. Well, because, tantras.
Okay, so the tantras do say it, but they don’t mean it.

Got it.
Some tantras make such statements, but they are not literal statements, they are interpretable statements, defined as such in the tantras themselves, as well as their commentarial literature.

But you will never find such statements in the sūtras.
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=34001
1.The problem isn’t ‘ignorance’. The problem is the mind you have right now. (H.H. Karmapa XVII @NYC 2/4/18)
2. I support Mingyur R and HHDL in their positions against lama abuse.
3. Student: Lama, I thought I might die but then I realized that the 3 Jewels would protect me.
Lama: Even If you had died the 3 Jewels would still have protected you. (DW post by Fortyeightvows)
tkp67

Post by tkp67 »

Malcolm wrote: Wed Jun 24, 2020 5:59 pm All buddhas have the same realization, the dharmakāya. This means the source of all teachings of the buddhas can be considered to have a single source, buddhahood. But since there are infinite buddhas, there are infinite causes and conditions which leads to their buddhahood. Those infinite causes and conditions make it possible for them to teach infinite sentient beings in all dimensions.
---> viewtopic.php?f=39&t=34024

Thank You Malcolm
Rick

Post by Rick »

Malcolm wrote: Wed Jun 24, 2020 3:05 am The study of tenet systems should reduce your concepts. Not increase them.
Rick wrote: Wed Jun 24, 2020 3:02 pm What would I be without my beloved concepts?
Malcolm wrote: Wed Jun 24, 2020 3:19 pm Awakened.
Merrily, merrily, merrily, merrily ...
Schrödinger’s Yidam

I am an atheist. Just not a materialist one.
https://dharmawheel.net/viewtopic.php? ... 1#p554241
1.The problem isn’t ‘ignorance’. The problem is the mind you have right now. (H.H. Karmapa XVII @NYC 2/4/18)
3. Student: Lama, I thought I might die but then I realized that the 3 Jewels would protect me.
Lama: Even If you had died the 3 Jewels would still have protected you. (DW post by Fortyeightvows)
Schrödinger’s Yidam

Malcolm wrote: Mon Nov 02, 2020 1:20 pm
Schrödinger’s Yidam wrote: Mon Nov 02, 2020 5:17 am Kongtrul ToK book 6 part 3
The supreme traditions of these two chariots (Shentong & Rangtong) do not contradict each other:
Yes, this is the point of view of some scholars. Others disagree. There are many arguments for both sides.
https://dharmawheel.net/viewtopic.php? ... &start=40
Schrödinger’s Yidam

https://www.dharmawheel.net/viewtopic.p ... 2&start=20
Malcolm wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 2:58 pm
Donny wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 1:01 pm
I heard from some posters that I do not know what shentong is.other posters have said to me that shentong is no different to Advaita.I don’t know who to believe.
The statement that shentong is not different from Advaita is for sure false.
The positions of Advaita and Extrinsic Emptiness are structurally similar, in so far as they both posit an utterly real ultimate in which the utterly unreal relative does not exist.

Madhyamaka by contrast, merely argues that relative things are ultimately empty, without suggesting there is some ultimate reality that exists to be established beyond the emptiness of relative entities.
Schrödinger’s Yidam

Malcolm wrote:There are only two kinds of paths— those based on mind and those based on gnosis. The latter are always superior to the former.
https://www.dharmawheel.net/viewtopic.p ... &start=40
Schrödinger’s Yidam

Malcolm wrote:Tulkus are just Tibetan cultural bullshit, did you ever ask yourself why there were never any Indian Tulkus? Or Tulkus in China, Japan, etc.?
https://www.dharmawheel.net/viewtopic.p ... 3#p561123
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

Schrödinger’s Yidam wrote: Thu Dec 10, 2020 3:25 am
Malcolm wrote:Tulkus are just Tibetan cultural bullshit, did you ever ask yourself why there were never any Indian Tulkus? Or Tulkus in China, Japan, etc.?
https://www.dharmawheel.net/viewtopic.p ... 3#p561123
Not to mention the fact that the Tulku institution only emerged in Tibet in the 13th century, after Dharma had been in Tibet for nearly 500 years...
Schrödinger’s Yidam

Ibid
Malcolm wrote: Thu Dec 10, 2020 3:38 am
Schrödinger’s Yidam wrote: Thu Dec 10, 2020 3:30 am
How about you. Do you think any tulkus are nitmanakaya Buddhas? (Hint; this is on the record. I’m posting it to your “Malcolm quotes” thread.)
Nope. Not a single one. There might be some outside the system (most certainly, actually) though, unrecognized and anonymous.
Last edited by Schrödinger’s Yidam on Thu Dec 10, 2020 3:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
Schrödinger’s Yidam

Malcolm wrote:I just rejected your assertion that since both Dudjom R. And Dilgo R. were partial to [Shentong], it was the dominant Madhyamaka View of Nyingmapas. In fact the dominant Madhyamaka presentation is that of Rongzom, Longchenpa, and Mipham, none of whom can be described as gzhan stong. But this did not prevent gzhan stong from gaining currency among some nyingma and Sakya scholars.
https://www.dharmawheel.net/viewtopic. ... 5#p561825
Schrödinger’s Yidam

Malcolm wrote: Tue Dec 29, 2020 4:51 am
Schrödinger’s Yidam wrote: Tue Dec 29, 2020 4:43 am Apparently Situ R has said that you can get enlightened doing NgonDro. I can’t source it though.
Yes, because it is just gathering the two accumulations capped by the practice of guru yoga.
https://www.dharmawheel.net/viewtopic. ... 6#p563076
Schrödinger’s Yidam

Malcolm wrote: Fri Jan 01, 2021 3:29 am
Schrödinger’s Yidam wrote: Fri Jan 01, 2021 2:44 am
Malcolm wrote: Thu Dec 31, 2020 5:58 pm

No, not necessarily. Not all vajra masters are actually buddhas. In fact, virtually none of them are, from their own point of view. Being a buddha is not a requirement for being a vajra master. If it were, Vajrayāna would be impossible.

The tantras never prohibit ordinary people from acting as vajra masters, provided they have done the retreats, etc., needed to act as a vajra master.
I meant a real one, not a ceremonial one.
Obviously.
From the point of view of the student, there is no difference. That’s the point of the whole thing, a point which you clearly overlook. Every master is a disciple, and always will be. That’s why our Vajrayana lineages are so strong.
https://www.dharmawheel.net/viewtopic ... #p563523
Schrödinger’s Yidam

Malcolm wrote: For Yogacārins, emptiness exists, it is strictly defined as an affirming negation; a village is empty of a city, and so on. Asanga explicitly invokes the emptiness described in the Cullasuññata sutta in a rebuke to Madhyamakas.
https://www.dharmawheel.net/viewtopic ... start=20
Schrödinger’s Yidam

Malcolm wrote: Fri Feb 12, 2021 3:07 am
Schrödinger’s Yidam wrote: Fri Feb 12, 2021 12:00 am I’ve had a long lingering suspicion that Malcolm’s not into the whole jnãnasattva thing. I could be wrong about that.
:shrug:
It’s a useful fiction for beginners.
https://www.dharmawheel.net/viewtopic.p ... 0&start=20
Schrödinger’s Yidam

Malcolm wrote:That is the yogacara theory. When there are no bijas in the ālayavijñana, it transforms. What are those bijas? The afflictive and knowledge obscuration. When they are exhausted, this ālayavijñāna turns into dharmadhātu gnosis.
https://www.dharmawheel.net/viewtopic ... tart=240
Schrödinger’s Yidam

https://www.dharmawheel.net/viewtopic.p ... &start=80
Malcolm wrote:The assumption I work with is that we cannot say anything about anyone's karma unless we are buddhas ourselves.
I’ve been taught that, and I accept it. The corollary is you therefore cannot properly assess anybody’s person’s spiritual practice. A person’s practice is appropriate to their individuals karma.

However I have not been able to resist forming opinions about myself and others.
Matt J

Post by Matt J »

Schrödinger’s Yidam wrote: Fri Jul 16, 2021 6:00 am
However I have not been able to resist forming opinions about myself and others.
I have recently developed an amazing siddhi: the ability to NOT always share that opinion online. :lol:
"The world is made of stories, not atoms."
--- Muriel Rukeyser
Schrödinger’s Yidam

Matt J wrote: Fri Jul 16, 2021 5:30 pm
Schrödinger’s Yidam wrote: Fri Jul 16, 2021 6:00 am
I have recently developed an amazing siddhi: the ability to NOT always share that opinion online. :lol:
:good:
Schrödinger’s Yidam

Malcolm wrote:The closest thing to grace in Buddhism is the Pure Land concept of "other power."
https://www.dharmawheel.net/viewtopic.p ... 9&start=20

Return to “Tibetan Buddhism”