Refuge as a pre-requisite for lung

Forum for discussion of Tibetan Buddhism. Questions specific to one school are best posted in the appropriate sub-forum.
ManiThePainter

Refuge as a pre-requisite for lung

Post by ManiThePainter »

Is going for refuge a pre-requisite for receiving the lung of a text?
"Don't mind me, just trying to find the nearest exit"
- someone stuck in Samsara... or maybe lost in Walmart
Inedible

Re: Refuge as a pre-requisite for lung

Post by Inedible »

Do you really have to ask? Without going for Refuge, you aren't a Buddhist. You don't have to have a formal ceremony, but you have to say the words. And mean them.
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

Inedible wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 2:43 am Do you really have to ask? Without going for Refuge, you aren't a Buddhist. You don't have to have a formal ceremony, but you have to say the words. And mean them.
Not really. It’s sufficient to be sincerely interested in the Dharma.
PeterC

Post by PeterC »

The vast majority of practices you do (in the Tibetan traditions at least) start with some form of refuge. So I’m not sure how one could actually practice in this tradition without saying the words.

Though technically speaking, I received lungs for a couple of practices before I had said the refuge vows in any Tibetan tradition. I happen to have taken refuge in a different tradition previously, but the lama would not have known that. And this was as part of a major, regular teaching event by a high-profile lama. So sure, it’s possible. But I can’t imagine one actually *practising* without taking refuge.
n8pee

Post by n8pee »

PeterC wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 4:28 am The vast majority of practices you do (in the Tibetan traditions at least) start with some form of refuge. So I’m not sure how one could actually practice in this tradition without saying the words.

Though technically speaking, I received lungs for a couple of practices before I had said the refuge vows in any Tibetan tradition. I happen to have taken refuge in a different tradition previously, but the lama would not have known that. And this was as part of a major, regular teaching event by a high-profile lama. So sure, it’s possible. But I can’t imagine one actually *practising* without taking refuge.
Refuge isn't just words. It certainly doesn't need vocalization.
PeterC

Post by PeterC »

n8pee wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 4:55 am
PeterC wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 4:28 am The vast majority of practices you do (in the Tibetan traditions at least) start with some form of refuge. So I’m not sure how one could actually practice in this tradition without saying the words.

Refuge isn't just words. It certainly doesn't need vocalization.
Yet every ceremony bestowing refuge vows involves words, as does that part of every sadhana. So saying words clearly isn’t unimportant
ManiThePainter

Post by ManiThePainter »

Quite a few different views on this it seems.

From my own basic knowledge I’d assume that practice necessitated refuge.

But is receiving a lung a practice?
PeterC

Post by PeterC »

ManiThePainter wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 5:38 am Quite a few different views on this it seems.

As stated above, one can receive lungs from respected major lamas without saying a word of refuge. If it were needed to receive the lung they would not give them so readily
ManiThePainter

Post by ManiThePainter »

PeterC wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 6:16 am As stated above, one can receive lungs from respected major lamas without saying a word of refuge. If it were needed to receive the lung they would not give them so readily
Thank you.
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

ManiThePainter wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 5:38 am Quite a few different views on this it seems.

For a practitioner it is a practice, part of the three wisdoms.
ManiThePainter

Post by ManiThePainter »

Malcolm wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 1:53 pm

For a practitioner it is a practice, part of the three wisdoms.
Noted.
Inedible

Post by Inedible »

I'm not Catholic so I don't take Communion. My parents tried, but it didn't take. I don't know about other religions. Why would someone want to be involved with someone else's religion without actually joining it?
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

Inedible wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 10:04 am I'm not Catholic so I don't take Communion. My parents tried, but it didn't take. I don't know about other religions. Why would someone want to be involved with someone else's religion without actually joining it?
The Buddha never said to anyone, “Before you sit and listen to me, you must go for refuge to me.” However, very often at the end of a discourse, people, impressed by his words, then went to refuge in the Three Jewels.
ManiThePainter

Post by ManiThePainter »

Inedible wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 10:04 am I'm not Catholic so I don't take Communion. My parents tried, but it didn't take. I don't know about other religions. Why would someone want to be involved with someone else's religion without actually joining it?
Nobody here is saying anything about never taking refuge.

Since I’m planning on taking an online lung within a couple of months but might be unable to take formal refuge (I would like to do so in person at a temple or with a sangha and to take vows) due to the current coronavirus strain, I was merely wondering if it was pointless to receive the lung if I hadn’t already gone for refuge.
PeterC

Post by PeterC »

ManiThePainter wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 4:44 pm

Since I’m planning on taking an online lung within a couple of months but might be unable to take formal refuge (I would like to do so in person at a temple or with a sangha and to take vows) due to the current coronavirus strain, I was merely wondering if it was pointless to receive the lung if I hadn’t already gone for refuge.
You can take refuge anywhere, at any time. If you feel a little formality would be desirable, look into Garchen R’s ‘refuge at a distance’ arrangement.
ManiThePainter

Post by ManiThePainter »

PeterC wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 5:10 pm

You can take refuge anywhere, at any time. If you feel a little formality would be desirable, look into Garchen R’s ‘refuge at a distance’ arrangement.
Thanks PeterC. I thought I had read somewhere that one had to go for refuge and take vows in person (one could say it by oneself but it would not be the same). Clearly I was misinformed.
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

ManiThePainter wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 5:31 pm

Thanks PeterC. I thought I had read somewhere that one had to go for refuge and take vows in person (one could say it by oneself but it would not be the same). Clearly I was misinformed.
Mahayāna refuge can be taken by visualizing the Buddhas and bodhisattvas in front of you and reciting refuge formula. You do not need a preceptor. This system is clearly taught in the Mahāyāna sūtra. However, you should not let other people's religious trips make you anxious.
ManiThePainter

Post by ManiThePainter »

Malcolm wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 6:03 pm

Mahayāna refuge can be taken by visualizing the Buddhas and bodhisattvas in front of you and reciting refuge formula. You do not need a preceptor. This system is clearly taught in the Mahāyāna sūtra. However, you should not let other people's religious trips make you anxious.
Thanks. I appreciate the help.

So the cutting of hair as part of the refuge ceremony is just a formality?
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

ManiThePainter wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 6:09 pm
Malcolm wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 6:03 pm

Thanks. I appreciate the help.

So the cutting of hair as part of the refuge ceremony is just a formality?
Yes, it is a formality. You never read in the sutras where someone cuts hair just for going for refuge. All ordination rites are later developments. None of them come from the Buddha himself.
Inedible

Post by Inedible »

ManiThePainter wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 4:44 pm planning on taking an online lung within a couple of months but might be unable to take formal refuge
The first time I read The Four Noble Truths I knew I was a Buddhist. My parents didn't approve. Other people told me I had to be Asian. When you know you are, it doesn't matter what anyone says.

Return to “Tibetan Buddhism”