Thich Nhat Hanh has passed away

General forum on the teachings of all schools of Mahayana and Vajrayana Buddhism. Topics specific to one school are best posted in the appropriate sub-forum.
Nicholas2727

Thich Nhat Hanh has passed away

Post by Nicholas2727 »

Very sad news for the Buddhist world. Om Amideva Hrih

https://tricycle.org/trikedaily/thich-nhat-hanh-dies/
Leo Rivers

Re: Thich Nhat Hanh has passed away

Post by Leo Rivers »

That man is a milestone who has passed away, and like an iceberg, 7 tenths unseen under the surface. I have his book from the Vietnam era. Most people today have little idea.

:namaste:
anjali
Former staff member

Post by anjali »

I'm sure a flood of articles will come out, but this is a nice early one from Lion's Roar: Thich Nhat Hanh, one of the great Buddhist teachers of our time, dies at 95

From the conclusion of the article,
In his book, At Home in the World, published in 2016, Nhat Hanh addressed his inevitable death. He wrote:
This body of mine will disintegrate, but my actions will continue me… If you think I am only this body, then you have not truly seen me. When you look at my friends, you see my continuation. When you see someone walking with mindfulness and compassion, you know he is my continuation. I don’t see why we have to say “I will die,” because I can already see myself in you, in other people, and in future generations.

Even when the cloud is not there, it continues as snow or rain. It is impossible for the cloud to die. It can become rain or ice, but it cannot become nothing. The cloud does not need to have a soul in order to continue. There’s no beginning and no end. I will never die. There will be a dissolution of this body, but that does not mean my death.

I will continue, always.
On a personal note, his teachings helped me through a very difficult time in my life about 12 years ago, for which I will always be deeply grateful.
KathyLauren

Post by KathyLauren »

This is sad news. He was one of the truly great teachers of our time.

Om mani padme hum
Kathy
Dan74
Former staff member

Post by Dan74 »

He gave the world so much.

:bow: :bow: :bow:
DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

seeker242

Post by seeker242 »

Hope he comes back to do it all again. :D

:buddha2: :bow:
One should not kill any living being, nor cause it to be killed, nor should one incite any other to kill. Do never injure any being, whether strong or weak, in this entire universe!
Miorita

Post by Miorita »

Sahaloka is pure
PadmaVonSamba

Post by PadmaVonSamba »

Ceremony on the transition of Thich Nhat Hanh

https://youtu.be/pGxyUa37WbU

EMPTIFUL.
An inward outlook produces outward insight.
明安 Myoan
Former staff member

Post by 明安 Myoan »

His gathas brought Buddhism into my daily activities. And I first learned about the Noble Eightfold Path from his books.
Thank you, Thich Nhat Hanh!

:buddha2:
Namu Amida Butsu
muni

Post by muni »

May His Teachings be vividly present curing all beings.

In deep gratitude :buddha1:
“We are each living in our own soap opera. We do not see things as they really are. We see only our interpretations. This is because our minds are always so busy...But when the mind calms down, it becomes clear. This mental clarity enables us to see things as they really are, instead of projecting our commentary on everything.” Jetsunma Tenzin Palmo.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6bg9jOYnEUA
White Lotus

Post by White Lotus »

:smile: gratitude. Be happy, bring happiness, old friend. :namaste:
in any matters of importance. dont rely on me. i may not know what i am talking about. take what i say as mere speculation. i am not ordained. nor do i have a formal training. i do believe though that if i am wrong on any point. there are those on this site who i hope will quickly point out my mistakes.
SkyFox

Post by SkyFox »

As a fellow Vietnamese, I'm really happy to see Thich Nhat Hanh being viewed in such a positive light outside of the Vietnamese community; I had a no idea before :anjali:
Johnny Dangerous
Global Moderator

Post by Johnny Dangerous »

He was truly a remarkable being. Like someone else kinda said, I rejoice that he will be back again doing his thing.
Meditate upon Bodhicitta when afflicted by disease

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when sad

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when suffering occurs

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when you are scared

-Khunu Lama
narhwal90
Global Moderator

Post by narhwal90 »

He is often referenced in the soto sangha I attend, several of his books being among the first a newcomer is suggested to obtain.
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

TNH's commentary on the Heart Sutra was one of the first Buddhist teachings I ever heard. His social engagement, which grew out of his experience dealing with colonial repression in Vietnam caused him to coin the term "engaged Buddhism." He is the OG Engaged Buddhist teacher, one of the most important Buddhist teachers of the 20th and early 21st century.

"Our ecology should be a deep ecology—not only deep, but universal."
--Thich Nhat Hahn.
Miorita

Post by Miorita »

Malcolm wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 4:54 pm TNH's commentary on the Heart Sutra was one of the first Buddhist teachings I ever heard. His social engagement, which grew out of his experience dealing with colonial repression in Vietnam caused him to coin the term "engaged Buddhism." He is the OG Engaged Buddhist teacher, one of the most important Buddhist teachers of the 20th and early 21st century.
Then condolences!
Hazel
Former staff member

Post by Hazel »

“Please do not build a stupa for me. Please do not put my ashes in a vase, lock me inside and limit who I am. I know this will be difficult for some of you. If you must build a stupa though, please make sure that you put a sign on it that says, ‘I am not in here.’ In addition, you can also put another sign that says, ‘I am not out there either,’ and a third sign that says, ‘If I am anywhere, it is in your mindful breathing and in your peaceful steps.’”

More info here: https://www.dharmawheel.net/viewtopic.php?t=32796
Happy Pride month to my queer dharma siblings!

What do you see when you turn out the lights?
Kim O'Hara
Former staff member

Post by Kim O'Hara »

Hazel wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 7:23 pm “Please do not build a stupa for me. Please do not put my ashes in a vase, lock me inside and limit who I am. I know this will be difficult for some of you. If you must build a stupa though, please make sure that you put a sign on it that says, ‘I am not in here.’ In addition, you can also put another sign that says, ‘I am not out there either,’ and a third sign that says, ‘If I am anywhere, it is in your mindful breathing and in your peaceful steps.’”

More info here: https://www.dharmawheel.net/viewtopic.php?t=32796
Love this! It's so true to everything in his teaching.

:meditate:
Kim
tingdzin

Post by tingdzin »

ConfusedOne wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 7:45 am As a fellow Vietnamese, I'm really happy to see Thich Nhat Hanh being viewed in such a positive light outside of the Vietnamese community; I had a no idea before
Oh, yes. Well regarded everywhere.

Return to “Mahāyāna Buddhism”