What exactly is it that leads to Enlightenment? (arhat and buddhahood)

General forum on the teachings of all schools of Mahayana and Vajrayana Buddhism. Topics specific to one school are best posted in the appropriate sub-forum.
Astus
Former staff member

Re: What exactly is it that leads to Enlightenment? (arhat and buddhahood)

Post by Astus »

Nalanda wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 11:14 amWhat I meant to say is what is it 'technically' that generates the enlightenment.
It is the elimination of clinging by the realisation of emptiness.
1 Myriad dharmas are only mind.
Mind is unobtainable.
What is there to seek?

2 If the Buddha-Nature is seen,
there will be no seeing of a nature in any thing.

3 Neither cultivation nor seated meditation —
this is the pure Chan of Tathagata.

4 With sudden enlightenment to Tathagata Chan,
the six paramitas and myriad means
are complete within that essence.

1 Huangbo, T2012Ap381c1 2 Nirvana Sutra, T374p521b3; tr. Yamamoto 3 Mazu, X1321p3b23; tr. J. Jia 4 Yongjia, T2014p395c14; tr. from "The Sword of Wisdom"
PadmaVonSamba

Post by PadmaVonSamba »

Nalanda wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 4:08 am So what is it that actually brings about enlightenment in someone?
Please remember, there is nothing in the mind that you don’t already have, that you need to acquire. The true nature of mind is already Buddha. All the different Buddhist practices exist purely for the purpose of clearing away obstacles to realizing the mind’s true nature. Buddhism is like a huge bucket full of window cleaning supplies. The mind is like a perfectly clear crystal window but which is covered in grease and soot. None of the cleaning supplies will “give” the window the true clarity it already has on its own. They will only help you to remove the grime. Likewise, none of the practices can “give” the mind its intrinsic Buddha-nature. They only help you to discover what you already possess.
EMPTIFUL.
An inward outlook produces outward insight.
Miorita

Post by Miorita »

You said it yourself: Buddha's teachings.
"Patience is not something that ripens, patience is coming via understanding."
KC:

Post by KC: »

Nalanda wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 7:01 pmI understand that practices matter from prostrations, poetry, mantra, memorization, chanting, worshipping, etc. are important. I get that. I understand that moral ethics are vital.
I notice no mention of bodhicitta. Since this is the Mahayana topic I'll expand a bit.

For years/decades I've noticed that most of my cohort (sangha?) are very big on compassion and loving kindness. Perhaps because of my Soto Zen roots, I am more concerned with human nature i.e. from confusion come passion/aggression, lust/antagonism.

From my fairly substantial library I can cite only a small (single handful) selections of text that deal with how empathy/sympathy is basic our understanding the true nature of reality. (As a hippie kid in the 60s I declared solidarity/empathy to be core to community.)
Bodhicitta ... bodhisattva aspiration ... these cannot be displaced, though they can be dismissed.

In another tab just now, the 2020 documentary about building Perseverance, the Mars lander. That's my turf: high-end high-tech.
Buddhadharma isn't about chemistry or mechanics. It's about how we as individual persons cope with the confusion that arises from samsaric entanglements and conflicted emotions.
Tragically, most everything in our society moves us towards posturing as subject matter experts.

"Just sit" ... the teaching I take as core to Dogen Zenji's instructions for shikantaza. I'm sure Gautama the Buddha would not disagree!

--KC:
Shinjin

Post by Shinjin »

Nenbutsu is the easiest and most direct path especially in the current age.
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

Shinjin wrote: Thu Feb 10, 2022 2:38 am Nenbutsu is the easiest and most direct path especially in the current age.
Not so. For example, the Buddha in the Cakrasamvara tantra asserts that the practice of Heruka is the only means by which one can attain buddhahood in this degenerate age, and so on.
Schrödinger’s Yidam

Post by Schrödinger’s Yidam »

My understanding of general Mahayana is that if you acquire both enough merit and enough awareness you become enlightened. At least that’s my impression from my time with Gelugpas.
1.The problem isn’t ‘ignorance’. The problem is the mind you have right now. (H.H. Karmapa XVII @NYC 2/4/18)
2. I support Mingyur R and HHDL in their positions against lama abuse.
3. Student: Lama, I thought I might die but then I realized that the 3 Jewels would protect me.
Lama: Even If you had died the 3 Jewels would still have protected you. (DW post by Fortyeightvows)
Nicholas2727

Post by Nicholas2727 »

Malcolm wrote: Thu Feb 10, 2022 3:12 am
Shinjin wrote: Thu Feb 10, 2022 2:38 am Nenbutsu is the easiest and most direct path especially in the current age.
Not so. For example, the Buddha in the Cakrasamvara tantra asserts that the practice of Heruka is the only means by which one can attain buddhahood in this degenerate age, and so on.
How is this understood by most Vajrayana practitioners then? I know you practice Dzogchen and it seems you view this is the fastest way to Buddhahood. If the Buddha said Heruka is the only way to attain Buddhahood shouldn't we all practice that?
PadmaVonSamba

Post by PadmaVonSamba »

Nicholas2727 wrote: Thu Feb 10, 2022 3:28 am
How is this understood by most Vajrayana practitioners then? I know you practice Dzogchen and it seems you view this is the fastest way to Buddhahood. If the Buddha said Heruka is the only way to attain Buddhahood shouldn't we all practice that?
Whatever is the ‘best way’ depends a lot on what’s the best way for each person.
EMPTIFUL.
Nicholas2727

Post by Nicholas2727 »

PadmaVonSamba wrote: Thu Feb 10, 2022 3:35 am

Whatever is the ‘best way’ depends a lot on what’s the best way for each person.
Yes I understand that but Malcolm's quote from the Cakrasamvara tantra says the that the practice of Heruka is the only means one can attain Buddhahood in the degenerate age. Im not sure how literal this is supposed to be taken, but if it is why would most vajrayana practitioner practice anything besides Heruka?
Shinjin

Post by Shinjin »

Don't know. Even if it is not everyone has the luxury of finding a qualified guru and practicing with them. Nenbutsu on the other hand is accessible to all.
cjdevries

Post by cjdevries »

PadmaVonSamba wrote: Thu Feb 10, 2022 3:35 am

Good post. Agreed. I like what Stephen Levine says about the spiritual path being like a brailleing along individual pathways; he says there is no one size fits all.
"Please call me by my true names so I can wake up; so the door of my heart can be left open: the door of compassion." -Thich Nhat Hanh

"Ask: what's needed of you" -Akong Rinpoche

"Love never claims, it ever gives. Love ever suffers, never resents, never revenges itself." -Gandhi
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

Shinjin wrote: Thu Feb 10, 2022 4:55 am
Don't know. Even if it is not everyone has the luxury of finding a qualified guru and practicing with them. Nenbutsu on the other hand is accessible to all.
It very much depends on how quickly one is motivated to attain Buddhahood, from the point of view of the cause and result vehicles. It still requires three incalculable eons to attain buddhahood, even if one should take birth in Sukhavati, according to the causal vehicles.
Shinjin

Post by Shinjin »

Malcolm wrote: Thu Feb 10, 2022 10:33 am

It very much depends on how quickly one is motivated to attain Buddhahood, from the point of view of the cause and result vehicles. It still requires three incalculable eons to attain buddhahood, even if one should take birth in Sukhavati, according to the causal vehicles.
It depends in what grade one is born into. High grade birth is instant buddhahood.
Aemilius

Post by Aemilius »

"Buddhahood" is hallucination, you still have an eternity of time in front of you. You regard buddhahood as an escape, that is no the case. It is normally sold to you like that, and you believe it naturally. But the truth is more like "three incalculable kalpas", because there are anyway three incalculable kalpas, even when you are a "buddha". The world of becoming is still there and you are responsible, and you must act because of it.
svaha
"All human beings are born free and equal in dignity and rights.
They are endowed with reason and conscience and should act towards one another in a spirit of brotherhood.
Sarvē mānavāḥ svatantrāḥ samutpannāḥ vartantē api ca, gauravadr̥śā adhikāradr̥śā ca samānāḥ ēva vartantē. Ētē sarvē cētanā-tarka-śaktibhyāṁ susampannāḥ santi. Api ca, sarvē’pi bandhutva-bhāvanayā parasparaṁ vyavaharantu."
Universal Declaration of Human Rights, Article 1. (in english and sanskrit)
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

Shinjin wrote: Thu Feb 10, 2022 12:36 pm
It depends in what grade one is born into. High grade birth is instant buddhahood.
No, it isn’t. And this is the problem: everyone claims their own path is the best, fastest, etc. but it’s not a race, and everyone has to work out their own path to their own satisfaction. But the one thing necessary in all is a teacher, a spiritual friend.
PadmaVonSamba

Post by PadmaVonSamba »

Malcolm wrote: Thu Feb 10, 2022 3:40 pm
Shinjin wrote: Thu Feb 10, 2022 12:36 pm It depends in what grade one is born into. High grade birth is instant buddhahood.
No, it isn’t.
What is “High grade birth”?

"Not by birth is one an outcast; not by birth is one a brahman. By deed one becomes an outcast, by deed one becomes an brahman."

Although this quote (Pali Canon, Vasala Sutta) is not specifically about attainment, it points out that according to the Buddha, one’s actions, not one’s birth, determine one’s results. Of course, one’s birth is also the result of one’s previous actions.

This doesn’t mean that some types of birth aren’t preferable to others as far as liberation from samsara is concerned. Human birth is the only one which is is a constant state of changing and provides opportunities to study and practice the path to liberation. But within the human realm, it is possible to squander this opportunity. There is no guarantee of attainment based on birth.
EMPTIFUL.
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

PadmaVonSamba wrote: Thu Feb 10, 2022 3:59 pm
Shinjin wrote: Thu Feb 10, 2022 12:36 pm It depends in what grade one is born into. High grade birth is instant buddhahood.
No, it isn’t.
What is “High grade birth”?
He is referring to the nine grades of birth in in Sukhavati described in the Chinese canon’s contemplation sutra.
Shinjin

Post by Shinjin »

No, it isn’t. And this is the problem: everyone claims their own path is the best, fastest, etc. but it’s not a race, and everyone has to work out their own path to their own satisfaction. But the one thing necessary in all is a teacher, a spiritual friend.
Yes, let's not repeat the same discussion we had over at the other thread. Everyone determines a path according to their own karmic dispositions. Mine happens to be JSS but I always like to keep an open mind.
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

Shinjin wrote: Thu Feb 10, 2022 4:25 pm
Yes, let's not repeat the same discussion we had over at the other thread. Everyone determines a path according to their own karmic dispositions. Mine happens to be JSS but I always like to keep an open mind.
Yes, and even if the Buddha were sitting in front of us telling us in a group what the most effective teaching was, we would all hear something completely different.

Return to “Mahāyāna Buddhism”