What is the Orthodox position of your school on alcohol, narcotics, psychedelics?

General forum on the teachings of all schools of Mahayana and Vajrayana Buddhism. Topics specific to one school are best posted in the appropriate sub-forum.
Johnny Dangerous
Global Moderator

Re: What is the Orthodox position of your school on alcohol, narcotics, psychedelics?

Post by Johnny Dangerous »

Brunelleschi wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 3:55 pm
dharmafootsteps wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 1:21 pm I’m not sure we can really say there’s an orthodox position on classes of drugs, rather simply to abstain from intoxication.

Regarding your last point, I don’t think it needs to be argued that many drugs are useful for therapeutic purposes, that’s pretty well established by now. Personally I don’t see a problem if they’re used for this purpose with knowledge, awareness and the right intention.
Well, afaik there is not really enough data to draw any long lasting conclusions. There is mdma which seems to show some promise in the treatment of PTSD. There are studies applying the use of psilocybin in terminal care, and it could possibly have a place there. When it come to ketamine it is a very "dirty" substance and more research needs to be done on potential long term side effects and so on.

This is of course in a setting with professionals. Just because a substance could potentially have its uses when in a therapeutic session with professionals does not mean it is "beneficial" to drop acid with your friends. If anyone wants to do that, fine, but people should not pretend that it is some kind of therapy session.

Lastly, there's some pretty bad science out there, see:

This is so true. Some of the studies out there are just transparently people who advocate the use of the substances and see them as panaceas making all kinds of big claims. The data is pretty scant though.
Meditate upon Bodhicitta when afflicted by disease

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when sad

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when suffering occurs

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when you are scared

-Khunu Lama
dharmafootsteps

Re: What is the Orthodox position of your school on alcohol, narcotics, psychedelics?

Post by dharmafootsteps »

Brunelleschi wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 3:55 pm Just because a substance could potentially have its uses when in a therapeutic session with professionals does not mean it is "beneficial" to drop acid with your friends. If anyone wants to do that, fine, but people should not pretend that it is some kind of therapy session.
Of course, hence my proviso "if they’re used for this purpose (therapy) with knowledge, awareness and the right intention."
Brunelleschi

Post by Brunelleschi »

dharmafootsteps wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 4:24 pm
Brunelleschi wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 3:55 pm Just because a substance could potentially have its uses when in a therapeutic session with professionals does not mean it is "beneficial" to drop acid with your friends. If anyone wants to do that, fine, but people should not pretend that it is some kind of therapy session.
Of course, hence my proviso "if they’re used for this purpose (therapy) with knowledge, awareness and the right intention."
Ok, then I misunderstood what you were saying. :)
Nicholas2727

Post by Nicholas2727 »

Malcolm wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 4:11 pm
Padmist wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 12:51 am Or does it break the precepts as well?
It breaks the fifth precept. But one does not have to follow the fifth precept at all, in the Tibetan tradition. One can choose to follow only the vows against killing, stealing, and lying.

Of course, if you are a Dzogchen practitioner, there really are no hard and fast rules. You can try anything, but if you get habituated to anything, this is negative.
Isn't the first part true for all schools of Buddhism? When I took the 5 precepts at a Theravadin temple we had the option to choose any of the 5 precepts to take. They said its better to take the ones you can follow then one you know you will break. Unless you mean something else from your first comment.

Not being a Dzogchen practitioner myself, some of the comments you have made about it are interesting (not in a bad way). I believe I remember you saying there are not many rituals in Dzogchen either in a different post.
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

Nicholas2727 wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 4:49 pm I believe I remember you saying there are not many rituals in Dzogchen either in a different post.
A Dzogchen practitioner can use a lot of rituals, if they find this useful, or none at all. The main point is knowledge (rig pa) of one's own state.

Return to “Mahāyāna Buddhism”