Where did Nagarjuna go on retreat?

General forum on the teachings of all schools of Mahayana and Vajrayana Buddhism. Topics specific to one school are best posted in the appropriate sub-forum.
Manjukumaar

Where did Nagarjuna go on retreat?

Post by Manjukumaar »

Hi all,

I've been reading about the life of Nagarjuna and I've heard different things about his life. From what I understand, there were possibly two or three Nagarjunas including at least one tantric figure connected to Nalanda. However, in this post, I will be asking about the original Nagarjuna based in South India.

Does anyone know where he was based or where he underwent retreats? I've heard places ranging from Guntur, Kanchipuram, Kanyakumari... Is anything really known?

:)
Virgo

Re: Where did Nagarjuna go on retreat?

Post by Virgo »

Manjukumaar wrote: Sun Nov 07, 2021 11:22 pm

Does anyone know where he was based or where he underwent retreats?
In the cave of the heart.

Virgo
zerwe

Post by zerwe »

Manjukumaar wrote: Sun Nov 07, 2021 11:22 pm Hi all,

I've been reading about the life of Nagarjuna and I've heard different things about his life. From what I understand, there were possibly two or three Nagarjunas including at least one tantric figure connected to Nalanda. However, in this post, I will be asking about the original Nagarjuna based in South India.

Does anyone know where he was based or where he underwent retreats? I've heard places ranging from Guntur, Kanchipuram, Kanyakumari... Is anything really known?

I am not sure of how much is really known either, but there are some caves associated with Nagarjuna in Kathmandu at Nagarjun Hill.

Shaun :namaste:
jmlee369

Post by jmlee369 »

Manjukumaar wrote: Sun Nov 07, 2021 11:22 pm Hi all,

It is probably a matter of much speculation given the limited historical records we can rely on. However, His Holiness the Dalai Lama visited one cave reputed to have been used by Nagarjuna in Chhattisgarh, there is this photo of him inside the cave, and this shell that he picked up as an auspicious souvenir during that visit.

Return to “Mahāyāna Buddhism”