How to deal with certain altercations?

General forum on the teachings of all schools of Mahayana and Vajrayana Buddhism. Topics specific to one school are best posted in the appropriate sub-forum.
SkyFox

How to deal with certain altercations?

Post by SkyFox »

Hey guys I just experience something which has never happened before in my life, and it kinda shooked me. I'm wondering how should a Buddhist deal with a scenario like what just happened to me?

I was walking into a grocery and happened to be looking at certain items near this women. She kept looking at me, but I thought nothing of it and proceeded to do my task. Finally, we happened to bump into each other again, but this time she proceeded to scream profanities at me and said I was stalking her while making a scene. She then proceeded to tell me that I should be in uniform. At this point, I'm assuming this lady is probably on drugs and is extremely paranoid (She is very old/aged and her eyes were bulging out) I defended my position and proceeded to call the manager and explain myself. If this was any other place, I would of just left, but this is where I shop all the time. I can't have the people working there think anything of me.

I wanted to forgive and forget, but I was too shooked and this lady made a big scene at a place where I usually go.I hate making a scene but felt like I had to. Doesn't help that this neighborhood of mine is considered one of the worst in Toronto. From a Buddhist's position , what should I have done?
PadmaVonSamba

Re: How to deal with certain altercations?

Post by PadmaVonSamba »

What you did was appropriate regardless of whether you are a Buddhist or not.
As a Buddhist, you can dedicate merit for the benefit of this unfortunate person, or pray/wish that she be free of suffering.
EMPTIFUL.
An inward outlook produces outward insight.
SkyFox

Re: How to deal with certain altercations?

Post by SkyFox »

PadmaVonSamba wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 8:13 pm What you did was appropriate regardless of whether you are a Buddhist or not.
As a Buddhist, you can dedicate merit for the benefit of this unfortunate person, or pray/wish that she be free of suffering.
thank you, I was just so unsure of myself; however, I do feel a bit happy that I never got overly aggressive nor did I raise my voice too much and was a lot more calm then expected but just shooked: I attribute this to buddhism :twothumbsup:

It kinda sucks because I felt like the manger and the people around were more on her side because she is a women. I feel like as a man, you are guilty until proven innocent. The funny thing is that she was 1 heads taller than me, which would make me dumb to even attempt anything on her.
Last edited by SkyFox on Tue Oct 26, 2021 8:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Mahāyāna Buddhism”