Making sense of getting enlightened in Mahayana thought

General forum on the teachings of all schools of Mahayana and Vajrayana Buddhism. Topics specific to one school are best posted in the appropriate sub-forum.
Nalanda

Making sense of getting enlightened in Mahayana thought

Post by Nalanda »

How does becoming enlightened in Mahayana work?

At glance, it seems there is some sort of delaying (although this apparently is a misconception) of enlightenment, to become boddhisatva. Meaning, deliberately prolonging the stay in samsara as boddhisatva to benefit all beings.

But then I hear that one can benefit all beings as boddhisatva from becoming enlightened or as a complete Buddha. That's where I get confused.

What is enlightenment really then? How does one get to it? Do we get to it or do we aim for the boddhisatva path? Is boddhisatva synonymous with enlightenment? What about Buddhahood?

Could you please share your thoughts on the steps or path to complete enlightenment?

Also, please recommend books that talk about this. Thanks.
PadmaVonSamba

Re: Making sense of getting enlightened in Mahayana thought

Post by PadmaVonSamba »

“Enlightened” is a vague English language word, one word used to refer to a variety of Buddhist experiences, awakening, and levels of realization.
That’s why it’s confusing.
EMPTIFUL.
An inward outlook produces outward insight.
Virgo

Post by Virgo »

Nalanda wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 6:19 pm How does becoming enlightened in Mahayana work?
You gather the two heaps of merit and wisdom over 3 incalculable eons.
Nalanda wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 6:19 pm At glance, it seems there is some sort of delaying (although this apparently is a misconception) of enlightenment, to become boddhisatva. Meaning, deliberately prolonging the stay in samsara as boddhisatva to benefit all beings.
With the motivation to benefit others, you remain in samsara and practice the six perfections. That is the path to Bodhi.
Nalanda wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 6:19 pm But then I hear that one can benefit all beings as boddhisatva from becoming enlightened or as a complete Buddha. That's where I get confused.
There are stages of enlightenment. People can progress from an ordinary person, into a bodhisattva, and eventually into a Buddha.

High level bodhisattvas have more capacity to help sentient beings. Buddhas have the highest capacity. There are various stages.
Nalanda wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 6:19 pm What is enlightenment really then? How does one get to it? Do we get to it or do we aim for the boddhisatva path? Is boddhisatva synonymous with enlightenment? What about Buddhahood?
One gets to it by practicing the six perfections.

Virgo
LastLegend

Post by LastLegend »

Virgo wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 7:57 pm
Don’t believe this nonsense.
LastLegend

Post by LastLegend »

Also anyone can connect with Buddhas and feel that connection. It’s a matter of how. It becomes a secret when people don’t believe it that’s possible. It’s also called “Other Power.”
Last edited by LastLegend on Mon Oct 25, 2021 8:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Virgo

Post by Virgo »

LastLegend wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 8:20 pm
Sometimes it takes longer.

Virgo
LastLegend

Post by LastLegend »

Virgo wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 8:30 pm
LastLegend wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 8:20 pm
Sometimes it takes longer.

Virgo
There is a whole sect that devotes to “Other Power” that’s called Pure Land…yes Amitabha!
Virgo

Post by Virgo »

LastLegend wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 8:32 pm

There is a whole sect that devotes to “Other Power” that’s called Pure Land…yes Amitabha!
That's excellent, but it still takes that long.

Virgo
LastLegend

Post by LastLegend »

Virgo wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 8:36 pm
LastLegend wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 8:32 pm

That's excellent, but it still takes that long.

Virgo
Come on man.

Wasn’t referring to different levels of practitioners who take rebirth in Pure Land or Pure Land itself. I am actually referring to the “Other Power” of Amitabha that one can experience.
Tilopa

Post by Tilopa »

Nalanda wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 6:19 pm At glance, it seems there is some sort of delaying (although this apparently is a misconception) of enlightenment, to become boddhisatva. Meaning, deliberately prolonging the stay in samsara as boddhisatva to benefit all beings
Indeed it is a common misconception albeit one which accurately reflects the depth of a bodhisattva's altruism.

Bodhisattvas are so compassionate they would willingly forgo enlightenment for themselves and remain in samsara if it was beneficial to do so but in reality they seek E as quickly as possible because only a Buddha can help sentient beings in the most effective way (Buddhas are omniscient, bodhisattvas aren't)

There's a progression. After generating uncontrived bodhicitta one becomes a bodhisattva and enters the mahayana path. Then E is achieved either by practicing the 6 perfections over many aeons (common mahayana) or in a much shorter period of time through the practice of tantra (uncommon mahayana)

It's usually said Buddha taught tantra for bodhisattvas whose compassion is especially strong and for whom the thought of taking aeons to complete the path is unbearable. They want to help as much as possible, in the best possible way, as soon as possible.

Possibly :rolling:
Virgo

Post by Virgo »

LastLegend wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 8:45 pm
Wasn’t referring to different levels of practitioners who take rebirth in Pure Land or Pure Land itself. I am actually referring to the “Other Power” of Amitabha that one can experience.
I am not sure I understand.

Virgo
LastLegend

Post by LastLegend »

Virgo wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 11:08 pm
LastLegend wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 8:45 pm
I am not sure I understand.

Virgo
The power of Amitabha permeates through us if we can establish the connection. It’s even a meditation too.

Return to “Mahāyāna Buddhism”