Description of Akanishta

General forum on the teachings of all schools of Mahayana and Vajrayana Buddhism. Topics specific to one school are best posted in the appropriate sub-forum.
ThreeVows

Description of Akanishta

Post by ThreeVows »

I’m aware there are different ways to understand the term Akanishta, but I’m curious if in any of the ways, there are descriptions of a pure land similar to how there are extensive descriptions of Sukhavati. That is, descriptions with characteristics of a certain type.

Are there any sources that discuss this?

Thank you.
“Whoever wants to find the wisdom beyond intellect without praying to his guru is like someone waiting for the sun to shine in a cave facing the north. He will never realize appearances and his mind to be one.”
Kyabje Dilgo Khyentse Rinpoche
Malcolm

Re: Description of Akanishta

Post by Malcolm »

Seeker12 wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 2:17 am I’m aware there are different ways to understand the term Akanishta, but I’m curious if in any of the ways, there are descriptions of a pure land similar to how there are extensive descriptions of Sukhavati. That is, descriptions with characteristics of a certain type.

Are there any sources that discuss this?

Thank you.
Yes, there is an extensive literature on the subjecting Tibetan sources.
ThreeVows

Post by ThreeVows »

Malcolm wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 3:32 am Yes, there is an extensive literature on the subjecting Tibetan sources.
Are there any English translations available that you know of? Thank you.
“Whoever wants to find the wisdom beyond intellect without praying to his guru is like someone waiting for the sun to shine in a cave facing the north. He will never realize appearances and his mind to be one.”
Kyabje Dilgo Khyentse Rinpoche
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

Seeker12 wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 6:44 pm
Malcolm wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 3:32 am Yes, there is an extensive literature on the subjecting Tibetan sources.
Are there any English translations available that you know of? Thank you.
Myriad worlds is one place you can look.

Return to “Mahāyāna Buddhism”