Appearance of the Buddhas and Bodhisattvas

General forum on the teachings of all schools of Mahayana and Vajrayana Buddhism. Topics specific to one school are best posted in the appropriate sub-forum.
bodhiye

Appearance of the Buddhas and Bodhisattvas

Post by bodhiye »

Most of the time the Buddha dresses like a monk but now and then I see images in which the Buddha is adorned with a crown and wears elaborate jewelry around his neck, on the arms and the feet. Kshitigarbha Bodhisattva is like a bhikshu sometimes but also looks similar to the crowned and bedecked Buddha in some pictures. Are the monk-like Buddhas and adorned Buddhas different? Why do the Bodhisattvas not look like the Buddhas or monks? Do the ornaments worn by the Buddhas and Bodhisattvas signify anything?
PadmaVonSamba

Re: Appearance of the Buddhas and Bodhisattvas

Post by PadmaVonSamba »

Well, you can’t wear the same thing every day, can you?
EMPTIFUL.
An inward outlook produces outward insight.
master of puppets

Post by master of puppets »

:D
Johnny Dangerous
Global Moderator

Post by Johnny Dangerous »

bodhiye wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 5:40 pm Most of the time the Buddha dresses like a monk but now and then I see images in which the Buddha is adorned with a crown and wears elaborate jewelry around his neck, on the arms and the feet. Kshitigarbha Bodhisattva is like a bhikshu sometimes but also looks similar to the crowned and bedecked Buddha in some pictures. Are the monk-like Buddhas and adorned Buddhas different? Why do the Bodhisattvas not look like the Buddhas or monks? Do the ornaments worn by the Buddhas and Bodhisattvas signify anything?
Because they have chosen to stay in phenomenal existence to benefit beings, this is an explanation about why they wear Jewels, etc.
Meditate upon Bodhicitta when afflicted by disease

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when sad

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when suffering occurs

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when you are scared

-Khunu Lama
Seishin
Former staff member

Post by Seishin »

I can't speak for other traditions, but in the Japanese traditions Tathagatas are usually depicted with a simple monks robe and hair with a top bun/knot. The acception to this is Dainichi Nyorai (Mahavairochana Tathagata) who is usually depicted wearing a crown and jewelry (but not always). In Mahayana buddhism there is more than one Buddha.

Bodhisattvas usually wear (artistically speaking) the garb of an Indian prince, which includes a lot of jewelry. They do not dress the same as Tathagatas because they are not Tathagatas yet, and they don't dress like monks as (artistically speaking) the Arhats dress in monks garb.

Whilst there is symbolism behind what they wear, it is also practical for identification, which also includes the various mudras and symbolic items they hold, as well as number of arms, what they sit on/stand on, and much more.
bodhiye

Post by bodhiye »

Seishin wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 12:55 pm I can't speak for other traditions, but in the Japanese traditions Tathagatas are usually depicted with a simple monks robe and hair with a top bun/knot. The acception to this is Dainichi Nyorai (Mahavairochana Tathagata) who is usually depicted wearing a crown and jewelry (but not always). In Mahayana buddhism there is more than one Buddha.

Bodhisattvas usually wear (artistically speaking) the garb of an Indian prince, which includes a lot of jewelry. They do not dress the same as Tathagatas because they are not Tathagatas yet, and they don't dress like monks as (artistically speaking) the Arhats dress in monks garb.

Whilst there is symbolism behind what they wear, it is also practical for identification, which also includes the various mudras and symbolic items they hold, as well as number of arms, what they sit on/stand on, and much more.
I did not know about these. I learned some new things today! :thanks:

:good:
bodhiye

Post by bodhiye »

Johnny Dangerous wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 9:23 am
bodhiye wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 5:40 pm Most of the time the Buddha dresses like a monk but now and then I see images in which the Buddha is adorned with a crown and wears elaborate jewelry around his neck, on the arms and the feet. Kshitigarbha Bodhisattva is like a bhikshu sometimes but also looks similar to the crowned and bedecked Buddha in some pictures. Are the monk-like Buddhas and adorned Buddhas different? Why do the Bodhisattvas not look like the Buddhas or monks? Do the ornaments worn by the Buddhas and Bodhisattvas signify anything?
Because they have chosen to stay in phenomenal existence to benefit beings, this is an explanation about why they wear Jewels, etc.
Can you elaborate?
bodhiye

Post by bodhiye »

PadmaVonSamba wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 3:36 am Well, you can’t wear the same thing every day, can you?
:lol:
Johnny Dangerous
Global Moderator

Post by Johnny Dangerous »

bodhiye wrote: Sat Jul 31, 2021 5:51 am
Can you elaborate?
Not much, they wear adornments like Jewels etc. because they are in Samsara serving sentient beings, Buddhas on the other hand have transcended it entirely and are unadorned. This is one simple explanation given for their appearance, there are "esoteric" teachings etc. as well, but as far as simple symbolism that's what I know of.
Meditate upon Bodhicitta when afflicted by disease

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when sad

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when suffering occurs

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when you are scared

-Khunu Lama
Natan

Post by Natan »

The ornaments represent sambhogakaya.
bodhiye

Post by bodhiye »

Johnny Dangerous wrote: Sat Jul 31, 2021 7:02 am
bodhiye wrote: Sat Jul 31, 2021 5:51 am
Can you elaborate?
Not much, they wear adornments like Jewels etc. because they are in Samsara serving sentient beings, Buddhas on the other hand have transcended it entirely and are unadorned. This is one simple explanation given for their appearance, there are "esoteric" teachings etc. as well, but as far as simple symbolism that's what I know of.
Thank you.
bodhiye

Post by bodhiye »

Crazywisdom wrote: Sat Jul 31, 2021 12:20 pm
Sorry, I missed the notification for your reply.
I read a little about Sambhogakaya online but I haven't understood it entirely.
Can you explain more about the link between Sambhogakaya and the adornments?
DewachenVagabond

Post by DewachenVagabond »

bodhiye wrote: Sat Aug 07, 2021 6:38 am
The Sambhogakaya is the enjoyment body, which experiences the results of practice. The adornments represent those results.
:bow: :buddha1: :bow: :anjali: :meditate:
bodhiye

Post by bodhiye »

DewachenVagabond wrote: Sun Aug 08, 2021 7:37 pm
bodhiye wrote: Sat Aug 07, 2021 6:38 am
The Sambhogakaya is the enjoyment body, which experiences the results of practice. The adornments represent those results.
Thank you.
Aemilius

Post by Aemilius »

There are the Three realms in Buddhist cosmology:
Kāmaloka the world of desire, typified by base desires, populated by hell beings, preta (hungry ghosts), animals, humans and lower demi-gods.
Rūpaloka is the world of form, predominately free of baser desires, populated by dhyāna-dwelling gods, possible rebirth destination for those well practiced in dhyāna.
Arūpaloka is the world of formlessness, a noncorporeal realm populated with four heavens, possible rebirth destination for practitioners of the four formlessness stages.
These realms have several subrealms, so that we get for example the Five pure abodes, Six realms of becoming, Ten realms and 31 realms.
Buddha appears in the Rupaloka as a Sambhogakaya form (or forms), and these have very often divine adornments.
svaha
"All human beings are born free and equal in dignity and rights.
They are endowed with reason and conscience and should act towards one another in a spirit of brotherhood.
Sarvē mānavāḥ svatantrāḥ samutpannāḥ vartantē api ca, gauravadr̥śā adhikāradr̥śā ca samānāḥ ēva vartantē. Ētē sarvē cētanā-tarka-śaktibhyāṁ susampannāḥ santi. Api ca, sarvē’pi bandhutva-bhāvanayā parasparaṁ vyavaharantu."
Universal Declaration of Human Rights, Article 1. (in english and sanskrit)
bodhiye

Post by bodhiye »

Aemilius wrote: Mon Aug 09, 2021 8:31 am There are the Three realms in Buddhist cosmology:
Kāmaloka the world of desire, typified by base desires, populated by hell beings, preta (hungry ghosts), animals, humans and lower demi-gods.
Rūpaloka is the world of form, predominately free of baser desires, populated by dhyāna-dwelling gods, possible rebirth destination for those well practiced in dhyāna.
Arūpaloka is the world of formlessness, a noncorporeal realm populated with four heavens, possible rebirth destination for practitioners of the four formlessness stages.
These realms have several subrealms, so that we get for example the Five pure abodes, Six realms of becoming, Ten realms and 31 realms.
Buddha appears in the Rupaloka as a Sambhogakaya form (or forms), and these have very often divine adornments.
Thank you!
:anjali:
ThreeVows

Post by ThreeVows »

Generally I think the adornments represent the sambhogakaya.
“Whoever wants to find the wisdom beyond intellect without praying to his guru is like someone waiting for the sun to shine in a cave facing the north. He will never realize appearances and his mind to be one.”
Kyabje Dilgo Khyentse Rinpoche
Aemilius

Post by Aemilius »

"There are the Three realms in Buddhist cosmology:
Kāmaloka the world of desire, typified by sense desires, populated by hell beings, preta (hungry ghosts), animals, humans and lower gods or gods of the realm of sense desires.
Buddha appears in the Rupaloka as a Sambhogakaya form (or forms), and these have very often divine adornments."

I have to make a little correction to the above: There are six levels of devas or gods in the Kamaloka or the realm of sense desires. These realms are above the level of human beings. The Kamaloka heavens appear quite often in the Buddhist sutras. Buddha appears also in the heavens of Kamaloka. The six heavens of the devas of Kamaloka are:
Parinirmita-vaśavartin, the heaven of devas "with power over (others') creations"
Nirmāṇarati, the devas of this world are capable of making any appearance to please themselves
Tusita, the world of the "joyful" devas
Yama, sometimes called the "heaven without fighting"
Trayastrimsa, the world "of the Thirty-three (devas)" is a wide flat space on the top of Mount Sumeru, filled with the gardens and palaces of the devas. Its ruler is Śakro devānām indra, ”Śakra, lord of the devas".
Caturmaharajika, the world "of the Four Great Kings"
svaha
"All human beings are born free and equal in dignity and rights.
They are endowed with reason and conscience and should act towards one another in a spirit of brotherhood.
Sarvē mānavāḥ svatantrāḥ samutpannāḥ vartantē api ca, gauravadr̥śā adhikāradr̥śā ca samānāḥ ēva vartantē. Ētē sarvē cētanā-tarka-śaktibhyāṁ susampannāḥ santi. Api ca, sarvē’pi bandhutva-bhāvanayā parasparaṁ vyavaharantu."
Universal Declaration of Human Rights, Article 1. (in english and sanskrit)
bodhiye

Post by bodhiye »

Seeker12 wrote: Wed Aug 11, 2021 1:44 pm
Generally I think the adornments represent the sambhogakaya.
Thanks.
bodhiye

Post by bodhiye »

Aemilius wrote: Thu Aug 12, 2021 10:41 am "There are the Three realms in Buddhist cosmology:
Kāmaloka the world of desire, typified by sense desires, populated by hell beings, preta (hungry ghosts), animals, humans and lower gods or gods of the realm of sense desires.
Buddha appears in the Rupaloka as a Sambhogakaya form (or forms), and these have very often divine adornments."

I have to make a little correction to the above: There are six levels of devas or gods in the Kamaloka or the realm of sense desires. These realms are above the level of human beings. The Kamaloka heavens appear quite often in the Buddhist sutras. Buddha appears also in the heavens of Kamaloka. The six heavens of the devas of Kamaloka are:
Parinirmita-vaśavartin, the heaven of devas "with power over (others') creations"
Nirmāṇarati, the devas of this world are capable of making any appearance to please themselves
Tusita, the world of the "joyful" devas
Yama, sometimes called the "heaven without fighting"
Trayastrimsa, the world "of the Thirty-three (devas)" is a wide flat space on the top of Mount Sumeru, filled with the gardens and palaces of the devas. Its ruler is Śakro devānām indra, ”Śakra, lord of the devas".
Caturmaharajika, the world "of the Four Great Kings"
Thank you.

Return to “Mahāyāna Buddhism”