What to do with water and food after offering?

General forum on the teachings of all schools of Mahayana and Vajrayana Buddhism. Topics specific to one school are best posted in the appropriate sub-forum.
bodhiye

What to do with water and food after offering?

Post by bodhiye »

I want to offer the Triple gem and Bodhisattvas water and food (fruits or cooked vegetarian items) at home. Can I drink the water and eat the food after some time? If the altar offerings must not be consumed, should they be given to someone or placed somewhere outside? Are there any specific ways to dispose of the offered things?
Knotty Veneer

Re: What to do with water and food after offering?

Post by Knotty Veneer »

I as always told to offer the food to animals outside.
Water should be thrown outside too in a place where people do not walk. You could also use it to benefit plants that need water.
This is not the wrong life.
jmlee369

Post by jmlee369 »

bodhiye wrote: Sun Jul 18, 2021 4:08 pm I want to offer the Triple gem and Bodhisattvas water and food (fruits or cooked vegetarian items) at home. Can I drink the water and eat the food after some time? If the altar offerings must not be consumed, should they be given to someone or placed somewhere outside? Are there any specific ways to dispose of the offered things?
Zopa Rinpoche has advised that you can consume them if you recite this mantra.
bodhiye

Post by bodhiye »

Knotty Veneer wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 10:00 am I as always told to offer the food to animals outside.
Water should be thrown outside too in a place where people do not walk. You could also use it to benefit plants that need water.
Thanks!
bodhiye

Post by bodhiye »

jmlee369 wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 1:49 pm
bodhiye wrote: Sun Jul 18, 2021 4:08 pm I want to offer the Triple gem and Bodhisattvas water and food (fruits or cooked vegetarian items) at home. Can I drink the water and eat the food after some time? If the altar offerings must not be consumed, should they be given to someone or placed somewhere outside? Are there any specific ways to dispose of the offered things?
Zopa Rinpoche has advised that you can consume them if you recite this mantra.
Thank you!
PadmaVonSamba

Post by PadmaVonSamba »

I put it on plants or into my coffee maker.
If it goes into the coffeemaker, I make the aspiration that it may serve to facilitate my awakening!
:jumping:
Actually, the wish is more like “may it help me be of benefit to others” which I was told is really what one can wish/pray/aspire to with regards to all actions, and anything we consume.
EMPTIFUL.
An inward outlook produces outward insight.
Lotomístico

Post by Lotomístico »

I personally drink and eat it, water the plants, give it to pets or stray animals.
Different traditions might have other rules, but that's what I do, personally.
One should become the master of one’s mind rather than let one’s mind master oneself.
bodhiye

Post by bodhiye »

PadmaVonSamba wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 6:47 am I put it on plants or into my coffee maker.
If it goes into the coffeemaker, I make the aspiration that it may serve to facilitate my awakening!
:jumping:
Actually, the wish is more like “may it help me be of benefit to others” which I was told is really what one can wish/pray/aspire to with regards to all actions, and anything we consume.
That's nice! Thanks.
bodhiye

Post by bodhiye »

Lotomístico wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 7:32 pm
I personally drink and eat it, water the plants, give it to pets or stray animals.
Thank you.
Ayu
Global Moderator

Post by Ayu »

For me it's a problem, because I live in the suburbs. Putting outside big amounts of food will be regarded as disposal of litter. There are only very few animals who could eat it.
Therefore I only offer nuts and raisins as food. No chocolate or alike.
This food 'vanishes' when thrown widely on the lawn.
bodhiye

Post by bodhiye »

Ayu wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 10:23 am For me it's a problem, because I live in the suburbs. Putting outside big amounts of food will be regarded as disposal of litter. There are only very few animals who could eat it.
Therefore I only offer nuts and raisins as food. No chocolate or alike.
This food 'vanishes' when thrown widely on the lawn.
That's a good idea.
Minobu

Post by Minobu »

I used to live in high Park on the 15th floor of an apartment.

I would take the water i used my Buddha Dzambhala practice and pour it directly on my concrete balcony floor and aim for itto purify the area and bring fortune to all as it fell off and evaporated into the air.

About 6 months( maybe more ) into this the whole building project got this beautiful upgrade. And the rents soared due to a lifting of rent controls so i moved...it became a place for richer people...

weird to watch...

i used to make tormas out of fig newtons and M&M's minis...i would use three M&M's and force them into the fig newtons and turn them into tormas with vajrayana .

after a few days of use i would take them down stairs and place them under trees and watch squirrels take them...

Weird thing is (coincidence)the squirrels got a taste for chocolate and started to steal cadbury fruit and nut bars from a Variety store owned by Koreans...

the lady was chasing them away from her display near the door...very small store more of a tuck shop to service the five buildings.

One day when she was complaining about it to me ... he came into store....i said let him have one and i'll buy it for him... "You Pay?"

"yes"

he took his prize ran off with it and i followed him to a tree with lots of cadbury wrapping paper at it's base...
maybe the tormas enlightened him to his favourite food source :rolling:
Last edited by Minobu on Wed Jul 21, 2021 3:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lotomístico

Post by Lotomístico »

bodhiye wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 7:16 am
Thank you.
Depending on what it is, you could offer it to a needy person in your community or donate it to a food bank or similar place (possibly with other food ítems), I thought of that last night.
One should become the master of one’s mind rather than let one’s mind master oneself.
bodhiye

Post by bodhiye »

Minobu wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 3:14 pm I used to live in high Park on the 15th floor of an apartment.

I would take the water i used my Buddha Dzambhala practice and pour it directly on my concrete balcony floor and aim for itto purify the area and bring fortune to all as it fell off and evaporated into the air.

About 6 months( maybe more ) into this the whole building project got this beautiful upgrade. And the rents soared due to a lifting of rent controls so i moved...it became a place for richer people...

weird to watch...
Oh!
i used to make tormas out of fig newtons and M&M's minis...i would use three M&M's and force them into the fig newtons and turn them into tormas with vajrayana .

after a few days of use i would take them down stairs and place them under trees and watch squirrels take them...

Weird thing is (coincidence)the squirrels got a taste for chocolate and started to steal cadbury fruit and nut bars from a Variety store owned by Koreans...

the lady was chasing them away from her display near the door...very small store more of a tuck shop to service the five buildings.

One day when she was complaining about it to me ... he came into store....i said let him have one and i'll buy it for him... "You Pay?"

"yes"

he took his prize ran off with it and i followed him to a tree with lots of cadbury wrapping paper at it's base...
maybe the tormas enlightened him to his favourite food source :rolling:
:lol: Thanks for sharing this.
bodhiye

Post by bodhiye »

Lotomístico wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 4:27 pm
bodhiye wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 7:16 am
Thank you.
Depending on what it is, you could offer it to a needy person in your community or donate it to a food bank or similar place (possibly with other food ítems), I thought of that last night.
Good idea! :twothumbsup:

Return to “Mahāyāna Buddhism”