Searching for a Tradition

General forum on the teachings of all schools of Mahayana and Vajrayana Buddhism. Topics specific to one school are best posted in the appropriate sub-forum.
Nicholas2727

Re: Searching for a Tradition

Post by Nicholas2727 »

I can relate to your confusion. I started practicing in Theravada since it was the closest center to me, although something was always interesting to me about Mahayana Buddhism. I wasn't sure what it was at the time, but there seemed to be some connection with the teachings of the Mahayana. When I began to look into Mahayana tho, I felt so lost. Not only is there zen, but there is Rinzai zen, Soto zen, Chinese chan, Korean seon and so on for other schools such as the five traditions of Tibetan Buddhism. I had the same fear as you, what if I am wasting my time with the wrong school? Luckily I came across a teacher that I felt a strong connection with and he had some good advice. "You are only wasting time, if you waste it." Like others have said on this thread, you may study with one school for now and stay within that school forever, or maybe you will find something new in a few years that is right for you. Each school can produce great masters. There are numerous Soto masters, numerous Chan masters, numerous Kagyu masters and so on for each tradition. My advice would be to experiment with all the schools that interest you and when the time is right you will know.
avatamsaka3

Post by avatamsaka3 »

Because of this I would like to hear how was for you guys to find your way on Dharma, if u can say a word or two about it.
And, when you found your tradition, how can you be sure the teacher has reached a level of achievement? This is important, right?
I hope that you are totally freed from suffering and find the ultimate wisdom. Quite frankly, there may be too much emphasis on the differences between schools / practices. At the end of the day, it's about living life in a way that's ethical, mindful, contented, respectful, wise... I'm not saying there are no differences between the different schools or traditions. Of course, there are, and they point to different goals and ways of thinking about things. But, the life we live everyday is rather... mundane: putting our pants on one leg at a time is not Mahayana or Theravada or the School of So and So. Dealing with nasty people is going to hurt, whether we follow this teacher or that one. So at that level, the theories don't matter a whole lot. Naturally, a serious practitioner with time on their hands to study and meditate should care about theoretical distinctions. But I think most ordinary people aren't at a level where the pie-in-the-sky arguments have any real value. Just my two cents.
clyde

Post by clyde »

avatamsaka3 wrote: Fri Jul 16, 2021 5:17 pm
Because of this I would like to hear how was for you guys to find your way on Dharma, if u can say a word or two about it.
And, when you found your tradition, how can you be sure the teacher has reached a level of achievement? This is important, right?
I hope that you are totally freed from suffering and find the ultimate wisdom. Quite frankly, there may be too much emphasis on the differences between schools / practices. At the end of the day, it's about living life in a way that's ethical, mindful, contented, respectful, wise... I'm not saying there are no differences between the different schools or traditions. Of course, there are, and they point to different goals and ways of thinking about things. But, the life we live everyday is rather... mundane: putting our pants on one leg at a time is not Mahayana or Theravada or the School of So and So. Dealing with nasty people is going to hurt, whether we follow this teacher or that one. So at that level, the theories don't matter a whole lot. Naturally, a serious practitioner with time on their hands to study and meditate should care about theoretical distinctions. But I think most ordinary people aren't at a level where the pie-in-the-sky arguments have any real value. Just my two cents.
:bow:
“Enlightenment means to see what harm you are involved in and to renounce it.” David Brazier, The New Buddhism

“The most straightforward advice on awakening enlightened mind is this: practice not causing harm to anyone—yourself or others—and every day, do what you can to be helpful.” Pema Chodron, “What to Do When the Going Gets Rough”
KeithA

Post by KeithA »

clyde wrote: Fri Jul 16, 2021 5:57 pm
avatamsaka3 wrote: Fri Jul 16, 2021 5:17 pm
:bow:
:bow: :good:
When walking, standing, sitting, lying down, speaking,
being silent, moving, being still.
At all times, in all places, without interruption - what is this?
One mind is infinite kalpas.

New Haven Zen Center
SilenceMonkey

Post by SilenceMonkey »

Garchen Rinpoche said that philosophical differences between schools don't matter so much for practitioners, that's really the domain of scholars. Yogis would do fine just by following their guru.

Although I'm interested in philosophical views, I love this perspective.
MUMMU

Post by MUMMU »

LucasGP wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 7:32 pm So, I'm into buddhism for almost a year, and althought I was brought in because of Zen Teachings I kinda feel uncertain if that's really the way to go for me. I also like Vajrayana as well, and I don't have any teacher closer than four hours of trip from me, actually, both traditions centers are at similar distances from where I live.

PS: I'm not sure if that is the right topic, but looked like it.
Hi Lucas

Download teaching by the Buddha himself (words spoken by Buddha that is translated to a language you can understand :English) like the Suråraïgama Sutra and many others).

Take your time to read them with patient, read them many time from time to time if you need, with no opinion and mindful that all thoughts arises are empty in nature, and do not be hard on yourself if you may not understand fully.

This has been my way for or you may call it a tradition.
Hazel
Former staff member

Post by Hazel »

MUMMU wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 4:51 am
LucasGP wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 7:32 pm So, I'm into buddhism for almost a year, and althought I was brought in because of Zen Teachings I kinda feel uncertain if that's really the way to go for me. I also like Vajrayana as well, and I don't have any teacher closer than four hours of trip from me, actually, both traditions centers are at similar distances from where I live.

Hi Lucas

Download teaching by the Buddha himself (words spoken by Buddha that is translated to a language you can understand :English) like the Suråraïgama Sutra and many others).

Take your time to read them with patient, read them many time from time to time if you need, with no opinion and mindful that all thoughts arises are empty in nature, and do not be hard on yourself if you may not understand fully.

This has been my way for or you may call it a tradition.
Commentaries will also help a great deal as some of the subtleties are easy to miss or entirely misinterpret.

There are messages between the words that need to be explained. Reading sutras is quite beneficial, but only reading sutras is a recipe for misinterpretation and delusion if not accompanied by basic instruction. That is my personal opinion.
Happy Pride month to my queer dharma siblings!

What do you see when you turn out the lights?
reiun

Post by reiun »

master of puppets wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 1:05 pm I don't understand why everyone is looking for an enlightened teacher or master.

Do you think he will give his 20-30 years with dealing by you and so save you? Are there any there?
Well, but that is exactly what such a teacher or master will try to do. We vow to practice on behalf of all sentient beings. A teacher embodies this vow. But, as you admit, you do not understand this. Probably one reason why you don't is because you have never had the firsthand experience of a teacher or master. People here who advise seeking a teacher or master have all no doubt had firsthand experience with one, and are just trying to help you.

Without a teacher, you are flying blind: no GPS, no map, no compass.
master of puppets wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 1:05 pm On the other hand if you are ready you can get enlightened by a small stone's tick or sound.
And how do you think you "get ready"? 1. Zazen, the fundamental, indispensable practice, and 2. Teacher's guidance.
master of puppets wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 1:05 pm In my own understanding; anyone who understand the teaching(this is level 2. - ten bulls) can easily be a master for a beginner.
2. Seeing the Footprints

A tangle of thorny bushes: the faint murmur of running water.

But here and there are footprints—Is this the right path?

If you want to pierce its nose and tie it up, do not rely on someone else’s strength!

In this picture, the oxherder finally sees some footprints. It represents the stage when we decide to do something about the dissatisfaction. We look around for something. We discuss philosophy, read about psychology and various states of consciousness. We hear about meditation and Buddhism or Zen. We might have a friend who is practicing or we might listen to a talk by a Zen teacher. We like the idea of liberation and awakening or the quirkiness of the koan.

We are attracted to the Zen stories but we stop there. We just read about it. So, very little changes; we continue to have the same sufferings, the same disturbing emotions, and the same negative patterns. Reading or hearing about Zen only is not going to make a great difference in our lives.

-- https://tricycle.org/magazine/ten-oxherding-pictures/

So, the above is level two. Someone at this level is not at all qualified to be a "master for a beginner", if that is what you mean.
master of puppets wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 1:05 pm Other than this; this is a process.
first understand the teaching.
secondly, insist on that understanding.
Insist from whom? Who can objectively confirm the level of your understanding? Who can confirm that you are on "the right path"?
PadmaVonSamba

Post by PadmaVonSamba »

Ayu wrote: Fri Jul 16, 2021 12:24 pm
master of puppets wrote: Fri Jul 16, 2021 9:49 am
PadmaVonSamba wrote: Fri Jul 16, 2021 5:16 am And frankly, I don’t think it would have mattered too much. It felt like coming home to me.
exactly. where you feel as your home is your home.
Experience shows, it's good to check some more aspects than that.
I don’t think I would have felt “at home” with just any tradition or teacher. But with most traditions, yes.
EMPTIFUL.
An inward outlook produces outward insight.
Natan

Post by Natan »

You're in Brasil Lucas. Boa noite. There was Chagdud Tulku here. He's dead. His consort is here, but I'm not sure how much she teaches. There's Tarthang Tulku centers, but he lives in San Francisco. I live in Brazil now and teach tantra to just a few. I got my start in California back in 2008. There was this 12 year period when there was this explosion of Vajrayana. We literally got everything from every lineage. Every week there's was another empowerment or retreat,. It was 3 full time jobs to catch it all and some would take three months. Lamas died, moved away and it was over. That was a very special time. It was about 2016 and suddenly poof. Gone. I took inventory of what I had and took to the air. I eventually liked Brasil. I'm in RJ.

I focus on Kagyu and Nyingma. My main motivation is in the Guhyagarbha.

Return to “Mahāyāna Buddhism”