Fire Under the Snow, Movie

General forum on the teachings of all schools of Mahayana and Vajrayana Buddhism. Topics specific to one school are best posted in the appropriate sub-forum.
cjdevries

Fire Under the Snow, Movie

Post by cjdevries »

I just discovered this movie that was put out several years ago; it's about Palden Gyatso, the Tibetan monk who was imprisoned for 33 years in China. He maintained his practice throughout imprisonment, always going back to his meditation while being tortured. He said there were times that he felt hatred when he was being tortured, but he would always collect himself right after the abuse and go back to his compassion practice. Here is the website that shows where you can rent or purchase the movie; they also have a kit that you can buy to do group screenings and raise money for your organization: http://fireunderthesnowmovie.com/
"Please call me by my true names so I can wake up; so the door of my heart can be left open: the door of compassion." -Thich Nhat Hanh

"Ask: what's needed of you" -Akong Rinpoche

"Love never claims, it ever gives. Love ever suffers, never resents, never revenges itself." -Gandhi
Hazel
Former staff member

Re: Fire Under the Snow, Movie

Post by Hazel »

Viktor Frankl's Experiences in a Concentration Camp was eye opening for me about surviving extreme conditions/torture, though in his case it was about finding meaning and not compassion. I think some of what he talks about though are applicable.
Happy Pride month to my queer dharma siblings!

What do you see when you turn out the lights?
cjdevries

Re: Fire Under the Snow, Movie

Post by cjdevries »

I really enjoy Viktor Frankl's work.
"Please call me by my true names so I can wake up; so the door of my heart can be left open: the door of compassion." -Thich Nhat Hanh

"Ask: what's needed of you" -Akong Rinpoche

"Love never claims, it ever gives. Love ever suffers, never resents, never revenges itself." -Gandhi

Return to “Mahāyāna Buddhism”