Best Translation of Bodhicharyavatara

General forum on the teachings of all schools of Mahayana and Vajrayana Buddhism. Topics specific to one school are best posted in the appropriate sub-forum.
KonchogUrgyenNyima

Best Translation of Bodhicharyavatara

Post by KonchogUrgyenNyima »

Hello all,

What is your favorite english translation of Bodhicharyavatara? Why is it your favorite?

I personally am looking for whichever translation is most literal and if anyone could point me in the direction, i would be very grateful.

Thanks so much, looking forward to your responses!
Sādhaka

Re: Best Translation of Bodhicharyavatara

Post by Sādhaka »

I like the Wallace translation.

It may or may not be the best; but it’s likely in the top two or three at least....
KonchogUrgyenNyima

Re: Best Bodhicharyavatara Translations

Post by KonchogUrgyenNyima »

This and the next two posts were moved from this old thread : https://www.dharmawheel.net/viewtopic.php?f=63&t=31618

明安 Myoan wrote: Tue Jul 30, 2019 6:00 pm I believe this is the one. The footnotes include where the Tibetan and Sanskrit versions differ, and other excellent info.

I also have a Stephen Bachelor translation but haven't read it in detail.
Hello, can you post another link to this version? I don’t think that link is working anymore.
明安 Myoan
Former staff member

Post by 明安 Myoan »

Here you go. :reading:

A paperback copy is worth having on your shelf, too.
Namu Amida Butsu
Dhammanando

Post by Dhammanando »

Könchok Thrinley wrote: Tue Jul 30, 2019 5:34 pm Anybody has any opinion or few cents worth of suggestions?
I don't know which is the best translation of the Tibetan edition, but of the Sanskrit I know of none better than the one you already have. Don't be put off by Skilton and Crosby being academics; they are also practising Buddhists of several decades standing.
Könchok Thrinley
Former staff member

Post by Könchok Thrinley »

Dhammanando wrote: Mon May 31, 2021 7:21 am
Könchok Thrinley wrote: Tue Jul 30, 2019 5:34 pm Anybody has any opinion or few cents worth of suggestions?
I don't know which is the best translation of the Tibetan edition, but of the Sanskrit I know of none better than the one you already have. Don't be put off by Skilton and Crosby being academics; they are also practising Buddhists of several decades standing.
Oh thank you venerable! I might then invest into their translation once it is possible for me.
“Observing samaya involves to remain inseparable from the union of wisdom and compassion at all times, to sustain mindfulness, and to put into practice the guru’s instructions”. Garchen Rinpoche

For those who do virtuous actions,
goodness is what comes to pass.
For those who do non-virtuous actions,
that becomes suffering indeed.

- Arya Sanghata Sutra

Return to “Mahāyāna Buddhism”