So are Sutras really from the Buddha, or just fiction

General forum on the teachings of all schools of Mahayana and Vajrayana Buddhism. Topics specific to one school are best posted in the appropriate sub-forum.
amanitamusc

Re: So are Sutras really from the Buddha, or just fiction

Post by amanitamusc »

Please tell us more on how we can become less ism'y and more Zenny.
A quote from Zenny ." I class myself as Zenny,not zen buddhist,because although I think Buddha was a great man and the best ever famous "teacher", I don't feel it's necessary to be named in my identity,as the essence of his message is Meditation".

Define meditation through the mind of Zenny for us and explain how meditation is the essence of Buddhas message.
Last edited by amanitamusc on Sat May 15, 2021 11:37 am, edited 2 times in total.
Bristollad

Post by Bristollad »

Zenny wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 10:33 am OK. So when you talk about liberation/ awakening you venture into philosophical talk. Let's just be clear. Have you felt liberation/awakening? I don't want to hear you repeat formulas,I want to know your experiential wisdom on awakening.
I'm not awakened. Nor do I think you are.
Zenny wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 10:33 am Meditation is an intuitive/instinctive matter.
It can be. There are also techniques that can be taught and passed on. Do you follow the advice passed on in the teachings and/or by your teachers or are just doing stuff 'cause it feels right?
Zenny wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 10:33 am But to say he is required for enlightenment is wrong and nor something he would have said.
Really? So refuge in the triple gem is incorrect? The Buddha isn't the great physician, the Dharma isn't the great medicine?
Zenny wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 10:33 am The buddhist concept pretyakkabuddha of the buddha who is self taught contradicts that.
Remember that the Buddha taught rebirth - solitary-realisers are self-taught in their last life when they achieve arhatship.
The antidote—to be free from the suffering of samsara—you need to be free from delusion and karma; you need to be free from ignorance, the root of samsara. So you need to meditate on emptiness. That is what you need. Lama Zopa Rinpoche
Zenny

Post by Zenny »

amanitamusc wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 11:32 am Please tell us more on how we can become less ism'y and more Zenny.
A quote from Zenny ." I class myself as Zenny,not zen buddhist,because although I think Buddha was a great man and the best ever famous "teacher", I don't feel it's necessary to be named in my identity,as the essence of his message is Meditation".

Define meditation through the mind of Zenny for us and explain how meditation is the essence of Buddhas message.
Meditation is an experience. A general explanation would be the act of focusing to achieve a positive outcome.
The essence of Siddharthas message is the practical use of focus in everyday life and in all facets of life to eliminate suffering.
And if you want to call it buddhism,yoga,dhayana or vajryana that's fine. The ism and ist occurs when you insist on certain words and strict definitions,and exclude the experiences of others.
Non buddhist Zen practioner.
Focus!
narhwal90
Global Moderator

Post by narhwal90 »

Thread has run its course, please contact a moderator to unlock if there is something substantive to add.

Return to “Mahāyāna Buddhism”