Question: The eternal śrāmaṇera?

General forum on the teachings of all schools of Mahayana and Vajrayana Buddhism. Topics specific to one school are best posted in the appropriate sub-forum.
FiveSkandhas

Question: The eternal śrāmaṇera?

Post by FiveSkandhas »

A śrāmaṇera (shami in Japanese) is usually what is translated as a "novice monk". They receive Tokudo, get a Dharma name, have robes, and take an abbreviated set of vows.

They are also usually very young; in both Japan and in Theravada countries it's usually something one goes through as young as age ten and usually no older than age 20. Thus, the śrāmaṇera is a kind of "pre-monk."

In Japan, anyway, when adults decide to ordain at a later point in their life, the might only spend as little as one or two months as a śrāmaṇera before receiving full monkhood (albeit at the lowest rank).

So there is definitely a difference between śrāmaṇera and laity, it seems, while on the other hand they appear to be below and outside the entire monastic hierarchy, despite their robes and dharma names.

My question to anyone in the know is a bit odd: are there any cases of people who remain eternal śrāmaṇera? Who receive the Tokudo and vows of this category yet never go on to become actual monks?

Just curious.
"One should cultivate contemplation in one’s foibles. The foibles are like fish, and contemplation is like fishing hooks. If there are no fish, then the fishing hooks have no use. The bigger the fish is, the better the result we will get. As long as the fishing hooks keep at it, all foibles will eventually be contained and controlled at will." -Zhiyi

"Just be kind." -Atisha
Dhammanando

Re: Question: The eternal śrāmaṇera?

Post by Dhammanando »

FiveSkandhas wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 2:48 am My question to anyone in the know is a bit odd: are there any cases of people who remain eternal śrāmaṇera? Who receive the Tokudo and vows of this category yet never go on to become actual monks?
I don't know about Japanese customs, but in both the Theravāda and Dharmaguptaka Vinaya lineages there are some men (albeit only a small minority) who opt to remain "eternal śrāmaṇeras".

There's a variety of reasons for such a decision. For example...

1. A bhikṣu thinks he may have committed a defeating offence but isn't sure about it. If his teachers can't free him from his doubts then he might opt to be demoted to śrāmaṇeraship in order to avoid the risk of being "in communion by theft".

2. A śrāmaṇera can't take higher ordination because he has one of the five prohibitive diseases (nowadays it's most often epilepsy).

3. A monastic who does a lot of international teaching might opt for śrāmaṇeraship because then he won't then be obliged to observe the three-month rains retreat when travelling is prohibited for bhikṣus.

4. A śrāmaṇera decides not to take higher ordination because he's not confident of his ability to observe the Vinaya in full and would rather be a strict śrāmaṇera than a lax bhikṣu.

5. A monastic of a strongly eremitical bent may opt for śrāmaṇeraship because he won't then be prohibited from storing and cooking his own food, which means that his contact with the laity can be kept to a bare minimum.

6. A man who ordains in old age might opt for śrāmaṇeraship (or the monastery might insist on this) if he's starting to show signs of senile dementia or some other debilitating condition.
FiveSkandhas

Post by FiveSkandhas »

Dhammanando wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 5:17 am
FiveSkandhas wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 2:48 am My question to anyone in the know is a bit odd: are there any cases of people who remain eternal śrāmaṇera? Who receive the Tokudo and vows of this category yet never go on to become actual monks?
I don't know about Japanese customs, but in both the Theravāda and Dharmaguptaka Vinaya lineages there are some men (albeit only a small minority) who opt to remain "eternal śrāmaṇeras".

There's a variety of reasons for such a decision. For example...

1. A bhikṣu thinks he may have committed a defeating offence but isn't sure about it. If his teachers can't free him from his doubts then he might opt to be demoted to śrāmaṇeraship in order to avoid the risk of being "in communion by theft".

2. A śrāmaṇera can't take higher ordination because he has one of the five prohibitive diseases (nowadays it's most often epilepsy).

3. A monastic who does a lot of international teaching might opt for śrāmaṇeraship because then he won't then be obliged to observe the three-month rains retreat when travelling is prohibited for bhikṣus.

4. A śrāmaṇera decides not to take higher ordination because he's not confident of his ability to observe the Vinaya in full and would rather be a strict śrāmaṇera than a lax bhikṣu.

5. A monastic of a strongly eremitical bent may opt for śrāmaṇeraship because he won't then be prohibited from storing and cooking his own food, which means that his contact with the laity can be kept to a bare minimum.

6. A man who ordains in old age might opt for śrāmaṇeraship (or the monastery might insist on this) if he's starting to show signs of senile dementia or some other debilitating condition.
Thank you for your helpful answer! This is exactly the kind of information I was looking to find.

What little I came up with as far as Japan is concerned is that there was a fashion among aged aristocrats in the middle ages for taking the simplest possible initiation (śrāmaṇera) and then calling themselves "Lay Priests." (入道) They would build little rustic shacks on their estates and retire to study the Dharma in private.

Sounds rather delightful if you ask me...
"One should cultivate contemplation in one’s foibles. The foibles are like fish, and contemplation is like fishing hooks. If there are no fish, then the fishing hooks have no use. The bigger the fish is, the better the result we will get. As long as the fishing hooks keep at it, all foibles will eventually be contained and controlled at will." -Zhiyi

"Just be kind." -Atisha
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

FiveSkandhas wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 2:48 am
My question to anyone in the know is a bit odd: are there any cases of people who remain eternal śrāmaṇera? Who receive the Tokudo and vows of this category yet never go on to become actual monks?

Just curious.
This is quote common in Tibet.
FiveSkandhas

Post by FiveSkandhas »

Malcolm wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 6:10 am
FiveSkandhas wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 2:48 am

Just curious.
This is quote common in Tibet.
What are some of the Tibetan rationales and reasons for remaining śrāmaṇera?

"Just be kind." -Atisha
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

FiveSkandhas wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 6:48 am
Some people are content with just being a dge tshul (śrāmaṇera). I have met many such people. Full ordination is a big step, and being a dge slong (bhikṣu) not a decision entered lightly.
Bristollad

Post by Bristollad »

Malcolm wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 1:36 pm
FiveSkandhas wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 6:48 am
Some people are content with just being a dge tshul (śrāmaṇera). I have met many such people. Full ordination is a big step, and being a dge slong (bhikṣu) not a decision entered lightly.
Indeed, Lama Zopa Rinpoche often asks why someone thinks they need more vows considering how much difficulty we generally find maintaining getsul, bodhisattva and tantric vows. We have to be careful that our actual motivation isn't just the wish for increased status.

The motivation in the Tibetan traditions is to be ordained for life - it is not supposed to be a temporary choice - I think this makes a difference.

Also, rules for getsuls aren't as restrictive as the full gelong rules, and so can be a better fit for those living in less than ideal circumstances.
The antidote—to be free from the suffering of samsara—you need to be free from delusion and karma; you need to be free from ignorance, the root of samsara. So you need to meditate on emptiness. That is what you need. Lama Zopa Rinpoche
LastLegend

Post by LastLegend »

In Khmer Theravada tradition of Vietnam, young men pay filial duties to parents by becoming a monk for three years...then they’ll come out and get married.
It’s eye blinking.
FiveSkandhas

Re: Question: The eternal śrāmaṇera see if it?

Post by FiveSkandhas »

Thanks for the answers all.

I'm sort of fascinated by the "rank" of śrāmaṇera because it's clearly not lay but I'm not sure it can be called truly "clerical" either. It seems to be positioned higher than an Upasaka. But since it seems to be a transitory stage on the way to Bikkhu for most -- and also associated with extreme youth -- it's hard for me to get a sense of what a long-term śrāmaṇera would actually do. Do they assist in temple ritual in some way? Can they preach or teach?

"Just be kind." -Atisha
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

FiveSkandhas wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 3:32 pm Thanks for the answers all.

I'm sort of fascinated by the "rank" of śrāmaṇera because it's clearly not lay but I'm not sure it can be called truly "clerical" either.
Śrāmaṇeras are definitely part of the "ordained" Sangha. They have gone forth (pravrajita) into the homeless life.

It seems to be positioned higher than an Upasaka. But since it seems to be a transitory stage on the way to Bikkhu for most -- and also associated with extreme youth -- it's hard for me to get a sense of what a long-term śrāmaṇera would actually do. Do they assist in temple ritual in some way? Can they preach or teach?
They follow the vows and conduct of a śrāmaṇera, and yes they can teach, etc. The difference between "the laity" (not really an appropriate term for upāsakas) and śrāmaṇeras is the difference of vows. The Buddha's original monastic sangha had no rules. Then eventually, there were 200+, and a common joke in Tibetan circles is that if the Buddha had lived to 100 there would have been more than 500, because most of the rules were implemented because lay people complained about the behavior of this or that monk, etc.
FiveSkandhas

Post by FiveSkandhas »

:rolling:
Malcolm wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 4:19 pm
FiveSkandhas wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 3:32 pm Thanks for the answers all.

I'm sort of fascinated by the "rank" of śrāmaṇera because it's clearly not lay but I'm not sure it can be called truly "clerical" either.
Śrāmaṇeras are definitely part of the "ordained" Sangha. They have gone forth (pravrajita) into the homeless life.

It seems to be positioned higher than an Upasaka. But since it seems to be a transitory stage on the way to Bikkhu for most -- and also associated with extreme youth -- it's hard for me to get a sense of what a long-term śrāmaṇera would actually do. Do they assist in temple ritual in some way? Can they preach or teach?
They follow the vows and conduct of a śrāmaṇera, and yes they can teach, etc. The difference between "the laity" (not really an appropriate term for upāsakas) and śrāmaṇeras is the difference of vows. The Buddha's original monastic sangha had no rules. Then eventually, there were 200+, and a common joke in Tibetan circles is that if the Buddha had lived to 100 there would have been more than 500, because most of the rules were implemented because lay people complained about the behavior of this or that monk, etc.
:rolling:

"Just be kind." -Atisha
Queequeg
Former staff member

Post by Queequeg »

FiveSkandhas wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 4:33 pm :rolling:
Read the Vinaya Pitaka. It starts out with the Buddha saying, "My followers are perfect in conduct. We don't need rules. [Yet.]" Then the wrong doing starts piling up and the Buddha has to keep telling people, "Don't do that." "And don't do that."

What is remarkable is that he doesn't completely lose his patience with this unruly mob that started following him around. He does take off from time to time to be alone and away from them all. At that point, its like his pre-bodhi dream where the maggots are crawling up his legs.
There is no suffering to be severed. Ignorance and klesas are indivisible from bodhi. There is no cause of suffering to be abandoned. Since extremes and the false are the Middle and genuine, there is no path to be practiced. Samsara is nirvana. No severance achieved. No suffering nor its cause. No path, no end. There is no transcendent realm; there is only the one true aspect. There is nothing separate from the true aspect.
-Guanding, Perfect and Sudden Contemplation,
FiveSkandhas

Post by FiveSkandhas »

My next question is about the possibility of people who undergo what is known as "Tokudo" (得度) in Japanese, which is I believe tārayati in Sanskrit...but who do not take any vows.

In Japan at least, Tokudo is taken first and the jukai (ten vows) are taken in a separate ritual. My question is: is there a category of practicioners who undergo Tokudo/tārayati/"ordination" but who stop there and never receive vows?

Excuse my ignorance, I feel I should be better versed in these things but I'm simply not, so any and all answers are appreciated.

"Just be kind." -Atisha
PadmaVonSamba

Post by PadmaVonSamba »

FiveSkandhas wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 3:48 pm Excuse my ignorance, I feel I should be better versed in these things but I'm simply not, so any and all answers are appreciated.
This is a really good topic for discussion. I didn’t know a lot of this stuff. So I think many people will benefit from your curiosity. Fascinating stuff!
EMPTIFUL.
An inward outlook produces outward insight.
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

FiveSkandhas wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 3:48 pm My next question is about the possibility of people who undergo what is known as "Tokudo" (得度) in Japanese, which is I believe tārayati in Sanskrit...but who do not take any vows.

In Japan at least, Tokudo is taken first and the jukai (ten vows) are taken in a separate ritual. My question is: is there a category of practicioners who undergo Tokudo/tārayati/"ordination" but who stop there and never receive vows?

Excuse my ignorance, I feel I should be better versed in these things but I'm simply not, so any and all answers are appreciated.
In Sarvāstivāda, it is possible to receive to receive upāsaka vows, and only follow one of them, i.e., not killing, and the precepts of refuge: not holding non-buddhist teachers or gods as as one's refuge; not harming; and not associating with those hostile to the Dharma. One can also elect to hold two, three, or all the upāsaka vows. If the last, then one is considered a full upāsaka.

I am not familiar with this term: tārayati.
FiveSkandhas

Post by FiveSkandhas »

Malcolm wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 4:19 pm
FiveSkandhas wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 3:48 pm My next question is about the possibility of people who undergo what is known as "Tokudo" (得度) in Japanese, which is I believe tārayati in Sanskrit...but who do not take any vows.

In Sarvāstivāda, it is possible to receive to receive upāsaka vows, and only follow one of them, i.e., not killing, and the precepts of refuge: not holding non-buddhist teachers or gods as as one's refuge; not harming; and not associating with those hostile to the Dharma. One can also elect to hold two, three, or all the upāsaka vows. If the last, then one is considered a full upāsaka.

I am not familiar with this term: tārayati.
I was hoping you would show up for this question. Thank you again, your answer is informative and appreciated.

"Just be kind." -Atisha

Return to “Mahāyāna Buddhism”