Lack of Mahayana monasteries in the US?

General forum on the teachings of all schools of Mahayana and Vajrayana Buddhism. Topics specific to one school are best posted in the appropriate sub-forum.
Nicholas2727

Lack of Mahayana monasteries in the US?

Post by Nicholas2727 »

Does anyone else feel that there is a lack of Mahayana (East Asian) monasteries in the US? I know there is a lack of monasteries in general here, although it seems that there are a few Theravada, as well as a few Tibetan monasteries throughout the country. To my knowledge the only East Asian monasteries are the City of Ten Thousand Buddhas and some of TNH monasteries. I know Dharma Drum and Fo Guang Shan have larger temples here, although I am not sure if westerners would be able to ordain there or what kind of education they provide since it is not their main monastery. Are there any others I am missing? I know Tibetan Buddhism is more popular among westerns who practice Mahayana, although the lack of opportunities was surprising to me so I thought I would get some other opinions.
Genjo Conan

Re: Lack of Mahayana monasteries in the US?

Post by Genjo Conan »

Zen is what you're missing. There are quite a few Zen monasteries. IIRC a few Tendai as well.
Budai

Post by Budai »

Can someone point to a good list of Mahayana monasteries in the United States? Or mention any/some they know of. I would be interested.
Astus
Former staff member

Post by Astus »

1 Myriad dharmas are only mind.
Mind is unobtainable.
What is there to seek?

2 If the Buddha-Nature is seen,
there will be no seeing of a nature in any thing.

3 Neither cultivation nor seated meditation —
this is the pure Chan of Tathagata.

4 With sudden enlightenment to Tathagata Chan,
the six paramitas and myriad means
are complete within that essence.

1 Huangbo, T2012Ap381c1 2 Nirvana Sutra, T374p521b3; tr. Yamamoto 3 Mazu, X1321p3b23; tr. J. Jia 4 Yongjia, T2014p395c14; tr. from "The Sword of Wisdom"
Budai

Post by Budai »

How often do people of other Schools join certain Monasteries of other Traditions? I assume it isn’t always a common practice, but one that crosses people’s mind from time to time when they see an inspiring Teacher or really want to be a monk or a nun. Would the real answer be that one should probably be an advanced practitioner of a certain School they are fully devoted to to become a monk or a nun in a Monastery there?
Nicholas2727

Post by Nicholas2727 »

Genjo Conan wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 6:01 am Zen is what you're missing. There are quite a few Zen monasteries. IIRC a few Tendai as well.
Yes there seems to be a few Zen monasteries throughout the country. I was specifically referring to monasteries that offer monastic ordination since there seems to be a lack of these.
Genjo Conan

Post by Genjo Conan »

Nicholas2727 wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 2:16 pm
Genjo Conan wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 6:01 am Zen is what you're missing. There are quite a few Zen monasteries. IIRC a few Tendai as well.
Yes there seems to be a few Zen monasteries throughout the country. I was specifically referring to monasteries that offer monastic ordination since there seems to be a lack of these.
Sorry, do you mean specifically "ordination in a vinaya lineage"?
Nicholas2727

Post by Nicholas2727 »

Genjo Conan wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 6:49 pm
Nicholas2727 wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 2:16 pm
Sorry, do you mean specifically "ordination in a vinaya lineage"?
Yes, that it was I mean.

Return to “Mahāyāna Buddhism”