Resources on dealing with demons / evil spirits?

General forum on the teachings of all schools of Mahayana and Vajrayana Buddhism. Topics specific to one school are best posted in the appropriate sub-forum.
squizzlebizzle

Resources on dealing with demons / evil spirits?

Post by squizzlebizzle »

Can anyone recommend any resources written by or about practitioners who learned to deal with demons or evil spirits? I don't mean, great masters with spectacular siddhis. I mean, people perhaps slightly more ordinary who learned active techniques that helped them to combat demons / evil spirits out of necessity to protect themselves or others.
reiun

Re: Resources on dealing with demons / evil spirits?

Post by reiun »

squizzlebizzle wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 9:19 am Can anyone recommend any resources written by or about practitioners who learned to deal with demons or evil spirits? I don't mean, great masters with spectacular siddhis. I mean, people perhaps slightly more ordinary who learned active techniques that helped them to combat demons / evil spirits out of necessity to protect themselves or others.
Makyo

Phillip Kapleau was my first teacher; Rochester Zen Center was where I was taught zazen. The instruction included that if "bad makyo" was experienced, Kapleau roshi would address it with the student immediately, or as needed.
Matt J

Post by Matt J »

"The world is made of stories, not atoms."
--- Muriel Rukeyser
Ayu
Global Moderator

Post by Ayu »

Note about the link to Taramandala: "Feeding your demons" is a western adaption of Chöd (somehow).
The method acknowledges that those demons are not a foreign outward force but rather or at least most of the time inner psychological tendencies. The method is to talk to them, understand them, feed them - which brings them to vanish.
It's a valid method in order to understand and solve own problems.
cjdevries

Post by cjdevries »

I was diagnosed with a spirit harm problem by a qigong healer. I tried many things and found little relief. Then I found the Sengdongma practice and had some real results. I received the empowerment for the practice from a lama. Yet I could not fully recover. Finally, I found an energy healer who had dealt with spiritual possession/spirit harm and he was very skilled. After the first session I experienced remarkable improvement (it was night and day). As the healer brought his hands above my body and channeled divine light, I could feel the spirit trying to stick with my body but not being able to; it was like he was trying to hang on for dear life but the healer's light energy was too strong. I have to admit it was very painful. Very painful. When the spirit was trying to hold on it felt almost like I was being physically crushed and that the spirit was clawing at my body trying to stay. I lost my breath and felt exhausted while the spirit was being released. But it changed my life; it gave me back my life. Since then I have found two additional healers who are proven to help to remove spirits successfully.

Holding compassion for the spirits is also a really good method. I've tried it and it works, even if it is just a temporary solution. If you wish the spirits well that can be helpful.

I recommend checking out Dr. Yutang Lin's website. He talks about performing ceremonies to release spirits; I believe he says that many mental illness patients really have a spirit issue and so medicine can't help them but when he's done ceremonies to release the spirits affecting them they've been released from mental hospitals. http://www.yogichen.org/gurulin/elist/eng_fil.html . You might even try emailing them to see if they have any stories of lay practitioners overcoming spirit harm. Their email address is [email protected].

The I Ching says that one should not try to get out of a difficult situation unthinkingly and without guidance. It really is best to find someone who has dealt with this successfully before. If one has the proper guidance, there is bound to be some positive result. From studying the I Ching, I believe that openness is very important; often the answer comes in the way you don't expect.

I wanted to share this holy picture of a Medicine Buddha statue that has had many miraculous events associated with it. http://www.originalpurity.org/gurulin/e ... b0040.html
"Please call me by my true names so I can wake up; so the door of my heart can be left open: the door of compassion." -Thich Nhat Hanh

"Ask: what's needed of you" -Akong Rinpoche

"Love never claims, it ever gives. Love ever suffers, never resents, never revenges itself." -Gandhi
squizzlebizzle

Post by squizzlebizzle »

Ayu wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 3:46 pm
Note about the link to Taramandala: "Feeding your demons" is a western adaption of Chöd (somehow).
The method acknowledges that those demons are not a foreign outward force but rather or at least most of the time inner psychological tendencies. The method is to talk to them, understand them, feed them - which brings them to vanish.

I confess that I've never connected much with the aspect of Buddhism which frames demons as merely emotions.

If someone is being bitten by a dangerous wild animal, or a rabid dog, no one is tempted to tell them that the dog is merely their own emotions. Or, if they are being beaten by a gang of criminals, to tell them that the criminals are their own emotions. But when it's a demon, we do this. Sometimes we need to be able to talk about beings as though they are beings and not as metaphors for emotion.
squizzlebizzle

Post by squizzlebizzle »

cjdevries wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 4:50 pm I was diagnosed with a spirit harm problem by a qigong healer. I tried many things and found little relief. Then I found the Sengdongma practice and had some real results. I received the empowerment for the practice from a lama. Yet I could not fully recover. Finally, I found an energy healer who had dealt with spiritual possession/spirit harm and he was very skilled. After the first session I experienced remarkable improvement (it was night and day). As the healer brought his hands above my body and channeled divine light, I could feel the spirit trying to stick with my body but not being able to; it was like he was trying to hang on for dear life but the healer's light energy was too strong. I have to admit it was very painful. Very painful. When the spirit was trying to hold on it felt almost like I was being physically crushed and that the spirit was clawing at my body trying to stay. I lost my breath and felt exhausted while the spirit was being released. But it changed my life; it gave me back my life. Since then I have found two additional healers who are proven to help to remove spirits successfully.

Holding compassion for the spirits is also a really good method. I've tried it and it works, even if it is just a temporary solution. If you wish the spirits well that can be helpful.

I recommend checking out Dr. Yutang Lin's website. He talks about performing ceremonies to release spirits; I believe he says that many mental illness patients really have a spirit issue and so medicine can't help them but when he's done ceremonies to release the spirits affecting them they've been released from mental hospitals. http://www.yogichen.org/gurulin/elist/eng_fil.html . You might even try emailing them to see if they have any stories of lay practitioners overcoming spirit harm. Their email address is [email protected].

The I Ching says that one should not try to get out of a difficult situation unthinkingly and without guidance. It really is best to find someone who has dealt with this successfully before. If one has the proper guidance, there is bound to be some positive result. From studying the I Ching, I believe that openness is very important; often the answer comes in the way you don't expect.

I wanted to share this holy picture of a Medicine Buddha statue that has had many miraculous events associated with it. http://www.originalpurity.org/gurulin/e ... b0040.html
how did you find the energy healer
Ayu
Global Moderator

Post by Ayu »

squizzlebizzle wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 2:51 am

I confess that I've never connected much with the aspect of Buddhism which frames demons as merely emotions.

If someone is being bitten by a dangerous wild animal, or a rabid dog, no one is tempted to tell them that the dog is merely their own emotions. Or, if they are being beaten by a gang of criminals, to tell them that the criminals are their own emotions. But when it's a demon, we do this. Sometimes we need to be able to talk about beings as though they are beings and not as metaphors for emotion.
The base of this idea of demon feeding is IMO the buddhist estemation that the outward appearances are an expression of what is going on inwardly. This is connected to karma, perception and the idea that everything has it's cause and it is worth to fight the cause instead of the symptom only.
SilenceMonkey

Post by SilenceMonkey »

Maybe it’s not as you think... from some conversations I’ve had with people, it’s seems to me that although Buddhism sees negative emotions as the real demons, when there are negative entities who come into contact with people, usually it is through using the heavy emotions such as anger and fear in a person that they are able to come into contact with someone. That, and all sorts of stories and other ego projections that frame the experience. Such projections are actually the food that spirits can feed on.

*I don’t like using the word “demon” because it tends to evoke some feelings of evil and darkness, which often just enhance the negative projections which make people vulnerable.
Matt J

Post by Matt J »

So you think these things occur outside or independently on your mind?
squizzlebizzle wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 2:51 am If someone is being bitten by a dangerous wild animal, or a rabid dog, no one is tempted to tell them that the dog is merely their own emotions. Or, if they are being beaten by a gang of criminals, to tell them that the criminals are their own emotions. But when it's a demon, we do this. Sometimes we need to be able to talk about beings as though they are beings and not as metaphors for emotion.
"The world is made of stories, not atoms."
--- Muriel Rukeyser
LastLegend

Post by LastLegend »

Our mind has to be in a certain states to draw them...usually in dreams or when we sleep. Practice over time it will go away. My guess is most people experience that just that they don’t talk about it. Recite Avalokitesvara and Samantabhadra.
It’s eye blinking.
cjdevries

Post by cjdevries »

I found the energy healer through a family friend. He is now retired from energy work, but I found someone else who is nearly as good who is still practicing. His name is Christopher Macklin. Through direct experience, I can say that he really can remove negative spirits.
squizzlebizzle wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 2:53 am
cjdevries wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 4:50 pm I was diagnosed with a spirit harm problem by a qigong healer. I tried many things and found little relief. Then I found the Sengdongma practice and had some real results. I received the empowerment for the practice from a lama. Yet I could not fully recover. Finally, I found an energy healer who had dealt with spiritual possession/spirit harm and he was very skilled. After the first session I experienced remarkable improvement (it was night and day). As the healer brought his hands above my body and channeled divine light, I could feel the spirit trying to stick with my body but not being able to; it was like he was trying to hang on for dear life but the healer's light energy was too strong. I have to admit it was very painful. Very painful. When the spirit was trying to hold on it felt almost like I was being physically crushed and that the spirit was clawing at my body trying to stay. I lost my breath and felt exhausted while the spirit was being released. But it changed my life; it gave me back my life. Since then I have found two additional healers who are proven to help to remove spirits successfully.

how did you find the energy healer
"Please call me by my true names so I can wake up; so the door of my heart can be left open: the door of compassion." -Thich Nhat Hanh

"Ask: what's needed of you" -Akong Rinpoche

"Love never claims, it ever gives. Love ever suffers, never resents, never revenges itself." -Gandhi
GrapeLover

Post by GrapeLover »

Matt J wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 4:26 pm So you think these things occur outside or independently on your mind?
squizzlebizzle wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 2:51 am If someone is being bitten by a dangerous wild animal, or a rabid dog, no one is tempted to tell them that the dog is merely their own emotions. Or, if they are being beaten by a gang of criminals, to tell them that the criminals are their own emotions. But when it's a demon, we do this. Sometimes we need to be able to talk about beings as though they are beings and not as metaphors for emotion.
Even though they don’t, I think the point is clear enough… if you had an issue with human attackers, nobody would propose that just sorting out your own psychological issues would cause the conventionally-external attackers to dissolve. In contrast, there are plenty of canonically-established, equally conventionally-external beings that can harm us but that happen to be generally imperceptible, and the advice with respect to these is often psychological. It often smacks of a reification of the material/perceptible and a dismissal of the imperceptible, not to say that’s happened here.

For instance, from the Tibetan POV, nagas can give you cancer. It’s not all just vague emotional stuff when it comes to ‘spirits’.

That said, I don’t seek to deny that one’s own strong emotions can serve as food and attractors for harmful beings, and sorting yourself out can be useful in this respect. I just have a lot of sympathy for OP’s position if he’s seen harmful spirits entirely equated with one’s own emotions or made out as being only projection’s of one’s own psychology, as people sometimes seek to do.
Ant1

Post by Ant1 »

Reciting the Shurangama Mantra would work:

http://online.sfsu.edu/rone/Buddhism/Sh ... antra.html

Reciting the Great Compassion Mantra also would work:

http://www.buddhism.org/Sutras/2/Sutras17.htm
SilenceMonkey

Post by SilenceMonkey »

squizzlebizzle wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 9:19 am Can anyone recommend any resources written by or about practitioners who learned to deal with demons or evil spirits? I don't mean, great masters with spectacular siddhis. I mean, people perhaps slightly more ordinary who learned active techniques that helped them to combat demons / evil spirits out of necessity to protect themselves or others.
This lama was recommended on a similar thread in the past. Check out the Services section.

https://padmarigdzinling.org/services/
Johnny Dangerous
Global Moderator

Post by Johnny Dangerous »

For instance, from the Tibetan POV, nagas can give you cancer. It’s not all just vague emotional stuff when it comes to ‘spirits’.
These things can be Karmic, which also means that one of the first things to look at if one is having problems is their health, basic life situation, and most importantly their Dharma practice. So, while you're right, it doesn't mean that what a person thinks is a spirit is necessarily a spirit (medically this is something diagnosed, and non medically, you are telling the Lama their job by claiming you know that it's this and they should just fix it). So yeah, the tendency to over-pyschologize these things is regrettable, but so is the idea that you are going to just tell someone "I have a ghost" and they are gonna get rid of it for you, especially if something you are doing is creating these external obstacles - they are still your obstacles, and on a deeper level, they are "your" appearances. At least in Tibetan traditions, I have seen it recommended that they are worked with in both ways, and I can't really see those approaches as mutually exclusive. If it were me with the problem, I'd hedge my bets and do both.
nobody would propose that just sorting out your own psychological issues would cause the conventionally-external attackers to dissolve.
Well, uh, that actually happens in some accounts i.e. MIlarepa.
That said, I don’t seek to deny that one’s own strong emotions can serve as food and attractors for harmful beings, and sorting yourself out can be useful in this respect. I just have a lot of sympathy for OP’s position if he’s seen harmful spirits entirely equated with one’s own emotions or made out as being only projection’s of one’s own psychology, as people sometimes seek to do.
Yes but the first part of this is "the basics" - i.e. food, emotional balance, Dharma practice, whether the obstacle is internal or external.

Anyway, the thing to do is just ask a Lama or teacher I imagine, obviously an "expert opinion" supersedes anything said here.

So I'll turn this on it's head just to play devil's advocate: At the same time that I share your criticism, don't undersell the impact of "psychological issues", wars have been declared, people murdered etc, over "psychological issues" and the idea that they are somehow less worth effort than external spirits simply because they seem more boring is also to be avoided.
Meditate upon Bodhicitta when afflicted by disease

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when sad

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when suffering occurs

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when you are scared

-Khunu Lama
GrapeLover

Post by GrapeLover »

Johnny Dangerous wrote: Sun Apr 25, 2021 6:32 am
nobody would propose that just sorting out your own psychological issues would cause the conventionally-external attackers to dissolve.
I wasn’t saying that something like this could never happen—I was saying that, literally, nobody would propose it, as the point was to do with people’s attitudes. It would almost seem trivialising if someone were in a physically abusive situation and the advice focussed on how to disappear the abuser from within your own psychology, but in similar situations with spirits such advice can be par for the course. If advice were consistent on both fronts then I’d have no point to raise.

There is of course the issue of knowing whether such a being is actually involved, and putting the basics into place in the meanwhile, but as long as such a possibility isn’t minimised then that is fine.

Everything you have said is valid of course; just clarifying this point of mine.
SilenceMonkey

Post by SilenceMonkey »

GrapeLover wrote: Sun Apr 25, 2021 10:04 am
Johnny Dangerous wrote: Sun Apr 25, 2021 6:32 am
I wasn’t saying that something like this could never happen—I was saying that, literally, nobody would propose it, as the point was to do with people’s attitudes. It would almost seem trivialising if someone were in a physically abusive situation and the advice focussed on how to disappear the abuser from within your own psychology, but in similar situations with spirits such advice can be par for the course. If advice were consistent on both fronts then I’d have no point to raise.
I think the issue about practicing internally for spirit harm is because they don't get you on the physical plane. They suck your souuuuuul! :spy:

Anyway, we do actually practice emptiness on physical attackers too. (Paramita of Wisdom) It's not like doing this practice will stop them from beating the crap out of you, but it might cleanse your mind from negative imprints from the attack... and purify the karma that arises in response to the attack. Then on a more relative level, there are teachings like never raising a fist in anger when you are physically abused. (Paramita of Discipline) Or to just take it without getting angry in the first place. (Paramita of Patience) Or to actually offer the attacker your body to do whatever they want with it. (Paramita of Generosity, see Shantideva)

Yeah, it goes against common sense... but common sense and cultural values are manifestations of self-grasping, which is what we're trying to cure. But maybe that kind of advice is for real practitioners who want to test their limits, not for people just trying to get by.
Natan

Post by Natan »

I go with Dorje Drolod for this. One responder above is correct. That robber is not a mental fiction. That poisonous insect is not a mental fiction. Demons are not either. There is something missing from the equation however.

We contact enemies like the above as a consequence of past actions. Those actions had self attachment as the primary motivation.

If attachment caused the appearance of enemies, then non attachment will stop causing enemies to appear. A horse is a horse of course of course and the results of past actions must run their course.

Of course we must be in nonattachment when demons, bugs and robbers assault us. Otherwise we create the embryo of more of the same in the future.

Insect repellent is good. Pepper spray is good. Incense is good. If it's a really strong baddie hit em with something strong. I have personal experience with Drolod that made a huge impression. That's who I call for ghostbusters.
Last edited by Natan on Mon Apr 26, 2021 8:20 am, edited 2 times in total.
Könchok Thrinley
Former staff member

Post by Könchok Thrinley »

I'd say that there seem to be basically two ways how practitioners address the topic of demons and spirits.

One I find among kagyus is a bit yogic, really mostly about our minds, etc.
Do not think much about demons, spirits and the like. In reality, there are no gods and demons. A god is compassion and a demon is self-grasping. From self-grasping, the negative emotions arise, and they are the cause of all suffering, for others and yourself. This is the actual demon, there is no other demon apart from that. If you want to eliminate that demon, you have to cultivate love and compassion.
-H.E. Garchen Rinpoche
excerpt from Gar Quote No. 57
This would explain why my kagyu teachers most often just give us the transmissions of the main practices with not many secondary practices.

And the second I mostly found among my nyingma teachers where they also give advice and practice on how to deal with spirits, bad places, days, signs etc. That is a bit of the ngakpa way.

But these are really my very limited observations. I have been lately wondering how true this generalization is.
---
Concerning the topic... I'd say rely on dharma and your own common sense. If it is a real outside force then how would you deal with it? I myself would ideally first go for lojong as that is the root of the problem and also for supporting prayers, such as a refuge prayer really. Taking refuge itself drives away evil beings. It says so in Patrul Rinpoche's Words of My Perfect Teacher. And if that does not help then killing them with kindness (mettá) :lol: or seeing a lama (especially ngakpa lama) for that issue. They could give you some lungs, advice and maybe even do/suggest rituals.
“Observing samaya involves to remain inseparable from the union of wisdom and compassion at all times, to sustain mindfulness, and to put into practice the guru’s instructions”. Garchen Rinpoche

For those who do virtuous actions,
goodness is what comes to pass.
For those who do non-virtuous actions,
that becomes suffering indeed.

- Arya Sanghata Sutra

Return to “Mahāyāna Buddhism”