Prostrations and preventing elbow pain

General forum on the teachings of all schools of Mahayana and Vajrayana Buddhism. Topics specific to one school are best posted in the appropriate sub-forum.
Hazel
Former staff member

Prostrations and preventing elbow pain

Post by Hazel »

How does one prevent elbow pain (golfer or tennis elbow) when doing daily full prostrations? Is the act of prostrations most likely to lead to golfer or tennis elbow?

I know this is really butting up against the "no medical advice" so maybe a non-me focused discussion on this is prudent. If that's still too much, mods should feel free to lock or delete.
Happy Pride month to my queer dharma siblings!

What do you see when you turn out the lights?
Könchok Thrinley
Former staff member

Re: Prostrations and preventing elbow pain

Post by Könchok Thrinley »

Hazel wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 3:14 pm How does one prevent elbow pain (golfer or tennis elbow) when doing daily full prostrations? Is the act of prostrations most likely to lead to golfer or tennis elbow?

I know this is really butting up against the "no medical advice" so maybe a non-me focused discussion on this is prudent. If that's still too much, mods should feel free to lock or delete.
Hm, I know that prostrations can quite easily destroy ones knees. I didn't know it could cause elbow issues. I was a bit more worried about wrists. I am quite curious what the answers will be.
“Observing samaya involves to remain inseparable from the union of wisdom and compassion at all times, to sustain mindfulness, and to put into practice the guru’s instructions”. Garchen Rinpoche

For those who do virtuous actions,
goodness is what comes to pass.
For those who do non-virtuous actions,
that becomes suffering indeed.

- Arya Sanghata Sutra
Bristollad

Post by Bristollad »

I've never had problems with wrists or elbows, I'm not even sure how full prostrations could do that. Knees...well, yes, especially if you persist when you are tired and start collapsing onto them.
The antidote—to be free from the suffering of samsara—you need to be free from delusion and karma; you need to be free from ignorance, the root of samsara. So you need to meditate on emptiness. That is what you need. Lama Zopa Rinpoche
Hazel
Former staff member

Post by Hazel »

There's lots of lowering and raising yourself with your arms in a full prostration. Seems like it would pose the same risks as say a pushup, even if your knees are down.
Happy Pride month to my queer dharma siblings!

What do you see when you turn out the lights?
Budai

Post by Budai »

Can you do it on your bed?

:bow:
Knotty Veneer

Post by Knotty Veneer »

Make sure you have good soft sliders for your hands. Be careful to put your hands on the board gently from a crouching position. Just don't throw yourself down as that can shock your wrists and elbows and cause damage.

If necessary, have a doctor check you don't have rheumatism or arthritis in your elbows just in case. All that bending and stretching of the arms might aggravate that. If that is the case then physical prostrations may not be the practice for you.
This is not the wrong life.
Bristollad

Post by Bristollad »

I do prostrations every day - I don't find that they put anything like the strain of a pushup on my arms. If you already have problems with your arms and shoulders I can understand why it would be a worry. But otherwise, I've not experienced any problems over several years with arms and shoulders. Knees, yes. I'm beginning to get arthritis and it's becoming harder.
The antidote—to be free from the suffering of samsara—you need to be free from delusion and karma; you need to be free from ignorance, the root of samsara. So you need to meditate on emptiness. That is what you need. Lama Zopa Rinpoche
Könchok Thrinley
Former staff member

Bristollad wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 7:21 am I do prostrations every day - I don't find that they put anything like the strain of a pushup on my arms. If you already have problems with your arms and shoulders I can understand why it would be a worry. But otherwise, I've not experienced any problems over several years with arms and shoulders. Knees, yes. I'm beginning to get arthritis and it's becoming harder.
Thank you for sharing this. Do you think the arthritis was in part caused by prostrations? Would you have some advice how we could potentially avoid it?
“Observing samaya involves to remain inseparable from the union of wisdom and compassion at all times, to sustain mindfulness, and to put into practice the guru’s instructions”. Garchen Rinpoche

- Arya Sanghata Sutra
Bristollad

Post by Bristollad »

Könchok Thrinley wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 9:43 am
Bristollad wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 7:21 am I do prostrations every day - I don't find that they put anything like the strain of a pushup on my arms. If you already have problems with your arms and shoulders I can understand why it would be a worry. But otherwise, I've not experienced any problems over several years with arms and shoulders. Knees, yes. I'm beginning to get arthritis and it's becoming harder.
Thank you for sharing this. Do you think the arthritis was in part caused by prostrations? Would you have some advice how we could potentially avoid it?
No, I don’t think the prostrations have had an undue effect on my knees. While my knees ache more now which causes some reluctance before and some pain during the prostrations, they are less painful after and I can then move more easily without pain; I’m just getting old :twothumbsup: I think I did more damage in my twenties and thirties doing lots of hill-walking without decent footwear.
seeker242

Post by seeker242 »

Hazel wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 3:14 pm How does one prevent elbow pain (golfer or tennis elbow) when doing daily full prostrations?
By using the correct form? Been doing them for years and have never had any elbow issues.
One should not kill any living being, nor cause it to be killed, nor should one incite any other to kill. Do never injure any being, whether strong or weak, in this entire universe!
Könchok Thrinley
Former staff member

Bristollad wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 12:16 pm No, I don’t think the prostrations have had an undue effect on my knees. While my knees ache more now which causes some reluctance before and some pain during the prostrations, they are less painful after and I can then move more easily without pain; I’m just getting old :twothumbsup: I think I did more damage in my twenties and thirties doing lots of hill-walking without decent footwear.
Ah for a while you comforted me, but then you had to mention the footwear! Oh well, this body is bound to get old and full of pains, might as well create merit. Thanks a lot for your answers. :applause:

- Arya Sanghata Sutra

Return to “Mahāyāna Buddhism”