Perception

General forum on the teachings of all schools of Mahayana and Vajrayana Buddhism. Topics specific to one school are best posted in the appropriate sub-forum.
LastLegend

Perception

Post by LastLegend »

The impression I get is perception is non-conceptual and conceptual. I agree with this if that’s true. Conceptual here means including language arises in mind right?
It’s eye blinking.
PadmaVonSamba

Re: Perception

Post by PadmaVonSamba »

LastLegend wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 4:00 pm The impression I get is perception is non-conceptual and conceptual. I agree with this if that’s true. Conceptual here means including language arises in mind right?
Where else would it arise?
EMPTIFUL.
An inward outlook produces outward insight.
LastLegend

Post by LastLegend »

What you mean?

Ahh I see.
Last edited by LastLegend on Sun Apr 11, 2021 4:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
It’s eye blinking.
FiveSkandhas

Post by FiveSkandhas »

I like the terminology that Dr. Alexander Berzin uses :"conceptual cognition" versus "non-conceptual cognition." Of course "perception" and "cognition" are not the same thing so you might be talking about something different, but he uses these terms to contrast "knowing something intellectually," like understanding the idea of shunyata or whatnot, versus grasping it in a kind of liberating, non-retrogressive "gut feeling" way, such that it really becomes part of you without you having to think through the concepts each time.
"One should cultivate contemplation in one’s foibles. The foibles are like fish, and contemplation is like fishing hooks. If there are no fish, then the fishing hooks have no use. The bigger the fish is, the better the result we will get. As long as the fishing hooks keep at it, all foibles will eventually be contained and controlled at will." -Zhiyi

"Just be kind." -Atisha
LastLegend

Post by LastLegend »

Ahh I see...it’s like untaught Wisdom?
It’s eye blinking.
FiveSkandhas

Post by FiveSkandhas »

LastLegend wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 4:57 pm Ahh I see...it’s like untaught Wisdom?
One way I think of it personally is like being toasty warm in your home and looking at your thermometer reading for outside as being below zero. "Gee its cold out there!" you mutter. This is conceptual cognition: you know it, but only on one level. Non-conceptual cognition would be like actually going outside and standing there shivering with your teeth chattering hopping around to stay warm and shuddering uncontrollably. You aren't intellectually thinking of how cold it is: you feel it with every cell in your body, raw and immediate and not something you have to "try" to grasp.

Berzin spends a lot of time talking about how first you use study and debate and pondering and so forth to get conceptual cognition of emptiness, but eventually to make it to the next level, you have to move to a non-conceptual cognition of emptiness, where the awareness of emptiness kind of automatically permeates everything you experience at all times.
"One should cultivate contemplation in one’s foibles. The foibles are like fish, and contemplation is like fishing hooks. If there are no fish, then the fishing hooks have no use. The bigger the fish is, the better the result we will get. As long as the fishing hooks keep at it, all foibles will eventually be contained and controlled at will." -Zhiyi

"Just be kind." -Atisha
LastLegend

Post by LastLegend »

:lol:

I get what you mean. I think in meditation there is only that just knows.
It’s eye blinking.
SilenceMonkey

Post by SilenceMonkey »

Perception through the senses is nonconceptual. The eye sees form, which appears in the eye consciousness. Then it goes into the mind consciousness, which is when the concepts start happening. But if there's no thinking mind, then every perception is direct perception.
LastLegend

Post by LastLegend »

So can we define perception as that which ‘sees’ through the six senses.
It’s eye blinking.
SilenceMonkey

Post by SilenceMonkey »

LastLegend wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 8:31 pm So can we define perception as that which ‘sees’ through the six senses.
I think so. Buddhism might call it "direct perception." Or nondual perception.

But we shouldn't confuse it with the skandha of saṃjñā, which is also termed "perception." I think it was translated as "perception" because in English, sometimes people talk about "my perception" vs. "your perception" of the same thing. If it was direct perception, they'd be seeing exactly the same thing. But often when two people talk about the same thing, they have different ideas about it and understand it in different ways. There's this idea that how we perceive things is subjective from person to person, whereas direct perception would be objective observation (nothing added from the perceiver's mind that would skew or color what is perceived).
LastLegend

Post by LastLegend »

I see we agree.

I’ve searched these:

Pratyaksha is a Sanskrit term meaning “this which is before one’s eyes," and is interpreted as “perception” in Indian and yogic philosophy.

Patanjali refers to pratyaksha in his Yoga Sutras as meaning direct or immediate perception. As such, in yoga and Vedanta, pratyaksha knowledge is said to be intuitive in nature.

Yogapedia explains Pratyaksha

Pratyaksha is broadly divided into two types: direct perception, or anubhava; and remembered perception, or smriti. It can alternatively be divided into indiscriminate perception, or nirvikalpa, where perception of the object is made without recognizing distinguishing features; and discriminate perception, or savikalpa, where distinguishing features are observed. The indiscriminate perception (nirvikalpa) type of pratyaksha is crucial in Advaita Vedanta because it means that the Ultimate Reality, or Brahman, can be perceived without features when liberation into truth occurs.

Just to clarify we are not disagreeing...but in fact what you said is clarified between direct perception and a mental process perception. I hope I am right.
It’s eye blinking.
LastLegend

Post by LastLegend »

I am eager to take a jab at another post that I read in a sub forum on Dharmawheel if that doesn’t make people upset. The question was asked whether “the knower” is different from “the known” ( cognitions). The knower is in meditation which emptiness is seen, that knower simply knows and that is, no cognitions, no language, no concepts, not even intention involved. The reason why it’s still seen as self or Advaita is precisely it is still self...this state is touching pristine Consciousness (as describes by people here) and it’s not final. The absolute non-self goes beyond that (simply knows).
It’s eye blinking.
PadmaVonSamba

Post by PadmaVonSamba »

LastLegend wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 11:07 pm I am eager to take a jab at another post that I read in a sub forum on Dharmawheel if that doesn’t make people upset. The question was asked whether “the knower” is different from “the known” ( cognitions). The knower is in meditation which emptiness is seen, that knower simply knows and that is, no cognitions, no language, no concepts, not even intention involved. The reason why it’s still seen as self or Advaita is precisely it is still self...this state is touching pristine Consciousness (as describes by people here) and it’s not final. The absolute non-self goes beyond that (simply knows).
Anything you can refer to as an object is thus an object of awareness, rather than the awareness itself.
EMPTIFUL.
LastLegend

Post by LastLegend »

Except there isn’t cognition to explain it like you did.
It’s eye blinking.
muni

Post by muni »

Jetsunma Tenzin Palmo said: just stick with that which knows and not with the known.

But the conceptual mind could see " that which knows" as being an object (by a knowing thought). That which knows is not a knowing thought.
“We are each living in our own soap opera. We do not see things as they really are. We see only our interpretations. This is because our minds are always so busy...But when the mind calms down, it becomes clear. This mental clarity enables us to see things as they really are, instead of projecting our commentary on everything.” Jetsunma Tenzin Palmo.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6bg9jOYnEUA
muni

Post by muni »

PadmaVonSamba wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 3:05 am
Anything you can refer to as an object is thus an object of awareness, rather than the awareness itself.
[/quote]

Thank you.
“We are each living in our own soap opera. We do not see things as they really are. We see only our interpretations. This is because our minds are always so busy...But when the mind calms down, it becomes clear. This mental clarity enables us to see things as they really are, instead of projecting our commentary on everything.” Jetsunma Tenzin Palmo.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6bg9jOYnEUA
PadmaVonSamba

Post by PadmaVonSamba »

One can be aware (of the fact that) one is aware.
You obviously know you are aware.
But then, are you aware of awareness itself,
or simply aware of the fact of awareness?
(I am aware of the fact of dinosaurs even though I have never been aware of a dinosaur)

Everything is either awareness, or an object of awareness.
Can awareness itself be an object of itself?
Can awareness be aware that it is aware?
It’s like seeing. You can see objects but you can’t see your eyes. You can only see a reflection of your eyes. But you can’t see the ‘seeing’. Likewise, awareness can be shown to occur because the objects of awareness are observed.
But while awareness can’t be aware of awareness as the observing function, awareness can be aware that it is aware.
EMPTIFUL.
PadmaVonSamba

Post by PadmaVonSamba »

An easy experiment anyone can do to demonstrate the separation of awareness and conceptuality is to focus on hearing, and then when one is focused on hearing, to simply observe what is happening with seeing or with the other sensory functions.

For example, if someone suddenly says,
“Shhh! Listen! Do you hear a very faint sound?”
Then your attention becomes fully focused on trying to hear a very faint sound. Very likely, while this is happening, you will be staring off into one direction or another but not really ‘looking’ at anything. You will still see whatever is in your field of vision, of awareness, but you won’t be engaging it conceptually.
EMPTIFUL.
LastLegend

Post by LastLegend »

PadmaVonSamba wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 12:58 pm One can be aware (of the fact that) one is aware.
You obviously know you are aware.
But then, are you aware of awareness itself,
or simply aware of the fact of awareness?
(I am aware of the fact of dinosaurs even though I have never been aware of a dinosaur)

Everything is either awareness, or an object of awareness.
Can awareness itself be an object of itself?
Can awareness be aware that it is aware?
It’s like seeing. You can see objects but you can’t see your eyes. You can only see a reflection of your eyes. But you can’t see the ‘seeing’. Likewise, awareness can be shown to occur because the objects of awareness are observed.
But while awareness can’t be aware of awareness as the observing function, awareness can be aware that it is aware.
The absence of grasping.
It’s eye blinking.
LastLegend

Post by LastLegend »

How is aware of awareness aware? :lol:
It’s eye blinking.

Return to “Mahāyāna Buddhism”