What is self-nature (self-essence) in the Altar Sutra of the sixth Patriarch?

General forum on the teachings of all schools of Mahayana and Vajrayana Buddhism. Topics specific to one school are best posted in the appropriate sub-forum.
Russian

What is self-nature (self-essence) in the Altar Sutra of the sixth Patriarch?

Post by Russian »

Let's understand, let's find out what is meant by self-nature (self-essence) in the Altar Sutra of the sixth patriarch, what is it?

From the Sixth Patriarch's Altar Sutra:
"The Patriarch covered us with his robe so that no one could see us and began to explain the Diamond Sutra to me. After he came to the sentence: "One should sincerely use one's consciousness without any attachments" (before this sentence, the context of the Diamond Sutra is as follows:" One should give without being attached to color, sound, smell, taste, touch, thought"), I had an extra-verbal Great Insight that all Dharmas (phenomena) are inseparable from Self-Nature. And then I exclaimed, " Who could have expected that Self-Nature (my own Nature) is inherently pure! Who could have expected that my own Nature (Self-Nature) is not originally born and destroyed! Who could have expected that my own Nature was originally self-sufficient! Who could expect that the Self-nature does not initially change! Who could have expected that Self-Nature could produce all the Dharmas!» The patriarch realized that I understood my original Nature and said to me, " If you do not know your consciousness, there will be no benefit from studying the Dharma. One who knows his original consciousness and sees his original Nature can be called a Great Hero, a teacher of people and Heaven, a Buddha."
Let's understand in detail what it is, consolidate the knowledge, in the light of my previous topic. I created the topic not only for myself, but also for the benefit of others, so that a correct understanding could be formed.
Russian

Re: What is self-nature (self-essence) in the Altar Sutra of the sixth Patriarch?

Post by Russian »

Friends, let's consolidate our knowledge. I understand that the answers were given in my previous topic, but I would like to finally consolidate my knowledge in this topic. Maybe nothing in the start topic message is clear in English? Unfortunately, I do not speak English, and I use the automatic translation of the Yandex machine. I also read your messages by translating them through Yandex-Translate.
Astus
Former staff member

Re: What is self-nature (self-essence) in the Altar Sutra of the sixth Patriarch?

Post by Astus »

There is a fine definition of self-nature (zixing 自性 - also used as a translation of svabhāva, but its Chan usage should not be confused with those found in other schools) in the Historical Dictionary of Chan Buddhism:

'A Chan soteriological term referring to a person’s Buddha-nature. It does not denote any self-existence or any changeless essence existent in and by itself. No such metaphysical meaning is involved in the original use of this term. A notable case of the traditional Chan usage of this term is in the Platform Sūtra, where Buddha-nature is equivalent to self-nature (zixing) in the sense that Buddha-nature cannot be objectified and realized outside each person. Seeing or realizing the Buddha-nature is the existential transformation of the human mind and entire personhood, being able to understand and appreciate what constitutes a person—elements of impermanence and non-abiding—and then accordingly. The realization of self-nature thus requires the accomplishment of action the practical-behavioral carrying out of non-attachment, rather than identifying a metaphysical object or discovering subjectivity through knowledge. The usage also indicates the Chan appropriation of positive or kataphatic language in its teachings without abandoning the use of negative or apophatic language: the Chan walk on two roads.'
1 Myriad dharmas are only mind.
Mind is unobtainable.
What is there to seek?

2 If the Buddha-Nature is seen,
there will be no seeing of a nature in any thing.

3 Neither cultivation nor seated meditation —
this is the pure Chan of Tathagata.

4 With sudden enlightenment to Tathagata Chan,
the six paramitas and myriad means
are complete within that essence.

1 Huangbo, T2012Ap381c1 2 Nirvana Sutra, T374p521b3; tr. Yamamoto 3 Mazu, X1321p3b23; tr. J. Jia 4 Yongjia, T2014p395c14; tr. from "The Sword of Wisdom"
Russian

Post by Russian »

Astus wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 12:52 pm
Thanks for the reply :anjali:
LastLegend

Post by LastLegend »

😂 what does non-attachment look like?
It’s eye blinking.

Return to “Mahāyāna Buddhism”