How does intersubjective interaction work in Mahayana Buddhism?

General forum on the teachings of all schools of Mahayana and Vajrayana Buddhism. Topics specific to one school are best posted in the appropriate sub-forum.
Cool-team

How does intersubjective interaction work in Mahayana Buddhism?

Post by Cool-team »

All Mahayana Buddhism believes that all phenomena, including other persons, are made of mind.
Each mindstream experiences reality constructed by mind itself.
For example, I watch a movie with a friend. Do I and my friend see the same movie? But if this movie was created by my mind, how can my friend see the same movie? He can't read my mind, can he?
PadmaVonSamba

Re: How does intersubjective interaction work in Mahayana Buddhism?

Post by PadmaVonSamba »

Cool-team wrote: Sun Mar 21, 2021 10:27 pm All Mahayana Buddhism believes that all phenomena, including other persons, are made of mind.
For example, I watch a movie with a friend. Do I and my friend see the same movie? But if this movie was created by my mind, how can my friend see the same movie? He can't read my mind, can he?
The movie is created by the movie director.
Your friend sees the best film ever made,
and you see the worst waste of time you ever sat through.
Did you both watch the same movie?

The fact that you both see a motion picture
is relative truth.

The absolute truth is that what you see is actually a series of still images shown in such rapid succession (24 per second) so as to create the illusion of movement. There isn’t any actual motion in a motion picture.

Likewise, you and your friend see each other as individual beings, rather than as millions of cells, or kazillions of molecules, which is funny when you consider that everything about our bodies happens on the microscopic level.

That experience of 2 upright meat beings watching a movie, and that person is your friend and you are their friend, that is the total creation of your mind.
EMPTIFUL.
An inward outlook produces outward insight.
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

Cool-team wrote: Sun Mar 21, 2021 10:27 pm All Mahayana Buddhism believes that all phenomena, including other persons, are made of mind.
Ummmm, no.
Cool-team

Post by Cool-team »

PadmaVonSamba wrote: Sun Mar 21, 2021 11:41 pm
The movie is created by the movie director.
Your friend sees the best film ever made,
and you see the worst waste of time you ever sat through.
Did you both watch the same movie?

The fact that you both see a motion picture
is relative truth.

The absolute truth is that what you see is actually a series of still images shown in such rapid succession (24 per second) so as to create the illusion of movement. There isn’t any actual motion in a motion picture.

Likewise, you and your friend see each other as individual beings, rather than as millions of cells, or kazillions of molecules, which is funny when you consider that everything about our bodies happens on the microscopic level.

That experience of 2 upright meat beings watching a movie, and that person is your friend and you are their friend, that is the total creation of your mind.
Friend I see in front of me also has an individual mindstream, but his individual mindstream is not created by my mind?
Last edited by Cool-team on Mon Mar 22, 2021 12:00 am, edited 3 times in total.
PadmaVonSamba

Post by PadmaVonSamba »

This is like, the third time in a month or less someone has mentioned this mistaken understanding.
Was it ‘Solipsism Week’ on the Discovery Channel or something?
EMPTIFUL.
An inward outlook produces outward insight.
SilenceMonkey

Post by SilenceMonkey »

This guy again... :coffee:

He sends me some weird messages trying to get me to confess Mahayana is solipsistic. He's not trying to learn anything, he's just putting words in the mouth of buddhism and wants some random buddhists on the internet to validate his nonsense.
Johnny Dangerous
Global Moderator

Post by Johnny Dangerous »

enough.
Meditate upon Bodhicitta when afflicted by disease

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when sad

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when suffering occurs

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when you are scared

-Khunu Lama

Return to “Mahāyāna Buddhism”