Combining Bodhisattva Precepts / Vows

General forum on the teachings of all schools of Mahayana and Vajrayana Buddhism. Topics specific to one school are best posted in the appropriate sub-forum.
Dharmasherab

Combining Bodhisattva Precepts / Vows

Post by Dharmasherab »

I have seen that there are a few sources of Bodhisattva Vows/Precepts. While there is significant overlap I also did notice that there are some differences between the sets of Precepts/Vows. So for my own practice I thought of combining them and then making effort to follow them in their entirety so that I dont miss out on anything (meaning that I wont be committing Bodhisattva offenses without knowing them).

I am sure that there is nothing wrong with this.
“When one does not understand death, life can be very confusing.” - Ajahn Chah
Malcolm

Re: Combining Bodhisattva Precepts / Vows

Post by Malcolm »

Dharmasherab wrote: Fri Mar 19, 2021 2:30 pm I have seen that there are a few sources of Bodhisattva Vows/Precepts. While there is significant overlap I also did notice that there are some differences between the sets of Precepts/Vows. So for my own practice I thought of combining them and then making effort to follow them in their entirety so that I dont miss out on anything (meaning that I wont be committing Bodhisattva offenses without knowing them).

I am sure that there is nothing wrong with this.
If someone has received the Madhyamaka tradition of Bodhisattva vows, that is sufficient. There is no need to mix them with the Yogacara system. But of course, one can observe both traditions, since they are not in contradiction.
Dharmasherab

Re: Combining Bodhisattva Precepts / Vows

Post by Dharmasherab »

Thanks Malcolm,
Its just so that I am not missing out on anything. So that I am not breaking anything to do with Bodhisattva commitments from any point of view.
“When one does not understand death, life can be very confusing.” - Ajahn Chah

Return to “Mahāyāna Buddhism”