Abrahamic religions and Buddhism

General forum on the teachings of all schools of Mahayana and Vajrayana Buddhism. Topics specific to one school are best posted in the appropriate sub-forum.
User avatar
Könchok Chödrak
Posts: 345
Joined: Fri Aug 14, 2020 1:12 pm
Location: ༀ ∞ Nam Myoho Renge Kyo ∞ ༀ

Re: Abrahamic religions and Buddhism

Post by Könchok Chödrak »

Giovanni wrote: Tue Dec 15, 2020 1:36 pm
Brahma wrote: Sun Dec 13, 2020 1:56 am Religion shouldn't get in the way of your Love. The Dharma is here to teach us how to Love. If you openly knew who Buddha was you wouldn't even be asking this question.
That is not the purpose of Dharma. Being a loving person might be a second effect for some, depending on the way we see “love”, certainly not all. There are many examples of realized masters who manifested a wrathful personality.
Dharma leads to compassion equanimity and kindness, not to modern concepts like “love” which usually means attachment.
The purpose of Dharma is to leave Samsara, nothing else.
The purpose of the Dharma is to have Metta in a non-atattched way. Look at the Dalai-Lama, although celibate, He preaches compassion and Bodhisattvic Principles to people in relationships for them to be happier. So does Thich Nhat Hanh. The concept of Love is one prevalent among all religions, and Buddha teaches us how to Love others in an Annatic, non-atattched, free-from-doubt and free-from-fear way. To be Wrathful as a Spiritually Realized Master, one must have Love, otherwise one's wrath is in vain and not Buddhist or Spiritual. Without Love, there is no substance to anything. It is true that in the modern sense there is too much lust everywhere, and downfalls and pitfalls that are not Buddhist, but what I see the OP as having is not one of these. Although His possible future wife has some issues with Him needing to practice Her religion, there are important principles in human-kindness that cannot be avoided simply on the basis of staying with our beliefs when it comes to the most important thing in the world: Love. A Buddhist can marry anyone who Loves them back. Because the purpose of marriage is Love. If you think there is some other purpose to marriage other than Love, you are mistaken. Love is the meaning of life.
Giovanni
Posts: 63
Joined: Wed Nov 18, 2020 11:07 am

Re: Abrahamic religions and Buddhism

Post by Giovanni »

We must agree to disagree about what the “meaning of life “.
The starting point from Buddhadharma is to lose ideas about ‘meaning’ in that way.
The point is not an improved life..it is to not be born again into Samsaric worlds.
User avatar
Könchok Chödrak
Posts: 345
Joined: Fri Aug 14, 2020 1:12 pm
Location: ༀ ∞ Nam Myoho Renge Kyo ∞ ༀ

Re: Abrahamic religions and Buddhism

Post by Könchok Chödrak »

Giovanni wrote: Tue Dec 15, 2020 5:09 pm We must agree to disagree about what the “meaning of life “.
The starting point from Buddhadharma is to lose ideas about ‘meaning’ in that way.
The point is not an improved life..it is to not be born again into Samsaric worlds.
The whole reason people are caught in Samsara is because they don't have enough Metta, compassion, and Love and kindness for themselves and others. Nirvana is akin to all the best things we and for eachother as human beings, as living beings. To get out of Samsara one has to at least decide to pull oneself out of it, and others if they want to make fast progress in Buddhism. The monastic, solitary, way of life is full of this kind of illumination, and I see you are drawn to it's precepts. That is good. That isn't to say that Love between a married couple can't save one and get one out of Samsara if one of the spouses is a Buddhist, Teaching one the other through simply Loving them. If you don't feel that Love can save others and get them out of Samsara, then we truly disagree, and I see the OP truly as being concerned for the well-being of this woman He wants to marry, to get Her out of Samsara, and there is great merit in that. Not to shy away from True Love, True Metta is the greatest merit, and the bravery in humankind. Even especially Gautama Buddha wanted those who Loved eachother to get married. Om Mani Padme Hum.
User avatar
PadmaVonSamba
Posts: 4599
Joined: Sat May 14, 2011 1:41 am

Re: Abrahamic religions and Buddhism

Post by PadmaVonSamba »

Brahma wrote: Tue Dec 15, 2020 2:54 pm
Giovanni wrote: Tue Dec 15, 2020 1:36 pm
Brahma wrote: Sun Dec 13, 2020 1:56 am Religion shouldn't get in the way of your Love. The Dharma is here to teach us how to Love. If you openly knew who Buddha was you wouldn't even be asking this question.
That is not the purpose of Dharma. Being a loving person might be a second effect for some, depending on the way we see “love”, certainly not all. There are many examples of realized masters who manifested a wrathful personality.
Dharma leads to compassion equanimity and kindness, not to modern concepts like “love” which usually means attachment.
The purpose of Dharma is to leave Samsara, nothing else.
The purpose of the Dharma is to have Metta in a non-atattched way. Look at the Dalai-Lama, although celibate, He preaches compassion and Bodhisattvic Principles to people in relationships for them to be happier. So does Thich Nhat Hanh. The concept of Love is one prevalent among all religions, and Buddha teaches us how to Love others in an Annatic, non-atattched, free-from-doubt and free-from-fear way. To be Wrathful as a Spiritually Realized Master, one must have Love, otherwise one's wrath is in vain and not Buddhist or Spiritual. Without Love, there is no substance to anything. It is true that in the modern sense there is too much lust everywhere, and downfalls and pitfalls that are not Buddhist, but what I see the OP as having is not one of these. Although His possible future wife has some issues with Him needing to practice Her religion, there are important principles in human-kindness that cannot be avoided simply on the basis of staying with our beliefs when it comes to the most important thing in the world: Love. A Buddhist can marry anyone who Loves them back. Because the purpose of marriage is Love. If you think there is some other purpose to marriage other than Love, you are mistaken. Love is the meaning of life.
Actually, love as the reason for marriage is a relatively new concept in much of the the world. Really only a couple of centuries in western culture. Even today, arranged marriages are common and marriage for the function of benefiting the family survival is still the main concern in much of the world, with love being expected to find its way in at some point.

There is no argument that Buddhism teaches, as you suggest, the importance of love. But concern over personal relationships focused on feelings from the heart aren’t what one might call part of the Buddha’s agenda.

When you are taking your last dying breath, there will be nothing your loved ones will be able to do for you except perhaps recite the Tibetan book of the dead, or recite mantras, or pray for your rebirth in Amitabha’s Pure Land, depending on the tradition. But you’ll be on your own at that time. Regardless of how many loves you have had, regardless of how many people you’ve been in love with, or been married to, none of then can help you then.
EMPTIFUL.
An inward outlook develops outward insight.
User avatar
Könchok Chödrak
Posts: 345
Joined: Fri Aug 14, 2020 1:12 pm
Location: ༀ ∞ Nam Myoho Renge Kyo ∞ ༀ

Re: Abrahamic religions and Buddhism

Post by Könchok Chödrak »

PadmaVonSamba wrote: Tue Dec 15, 2020 6:06 pm
Brahma wrote: Tue Dec 15, 2020 2:54 pm
Giovanni wrote: Tue Dec 15, 2020 1:36 pm

That is not the purpose of Dharma. Being a loving person might be a second effect for some, depending on the way we see “love”, certainly not all. There are many examples of realized masters who manifested a wrathful personality.
Dharma leads to compassion equanimity and kindness, not to modern concepts like “love” which usually means attachment.
The purpose of Dharma is to leave Samsara, nothing else.
The purpose of the Dharma is to have Metta in a non-atattched way. Look at the Dalai-Lama, although celibate, He preaches compassion and Bodhisattvic Principles to people in relationships for them to be happier. So does Thich Nhat Hanh. The concept of Love is one prevalent among all religions, and Buddha teaches us how to Love others in an Annatic, non-atattched, free-from-doubt and free-from-fear way. To be Wrathful as a Spiritually Realized Master, one must have Love, otherwise one's wrath is in vain and not Buddhist or Spiritual. Without Love, there is no substance to anything. It is true that in the modern sense there is too much lust everywhere, and downfalls and pitfalls that are not Buddhist, but what I see the OP as having is not one of these. Although His possible future wife has some issues with Him needing to practice Her religion, there are important principles in human-kindness that cannot be avoided simply on the basis of staying with our beliefs when it comes to the most important thing in the world: Love. A Buddhist can marry anyone who Loves them back. Because the purpose of marriage is Love. If you think there is some other purpose to marriage other than Love, you are mistaken. Love is the meaning of life.
Actually, love as the reason for marriage is a relatively new concept in much of the the world. Really only a couple of centuries in western culture. Even today, arranged marriages are common and marriage for the function of benefiting the family survival is still the main concern in much of the world, with love being expected to find its way in at some point.

There is no argument that Buddhism teaches, as you suggest, the importance of love. But concern over personal relationships focused on feelings from the heart aren’t what one might call part of the Buddha’s agenda.

When you are taking your last dying breath, there will be nothing your loved ones will be able to do for you except perhaps recite the Tibetan book of the dead, or recite mantras, or pray for your rebirth in Amitabha’s Pure Land, depending on the tradition. But you’ll be on your own at that time. Regardless of how many loves you have had, regardless of how many people you’ve been in love with, or been married to, none of then can help you then.
So when you need the most help you're saying no one can help you? What kind of logic is this? Of course they can help you. Such is the purpose and meaning of our lives and Buddhism, being a Bodhisattva, and helping others out of Samsara. :heart:

Don't get caught in materialistic nonsense. We are luminous beings, not this crude matter. And our emotions for eachother are real, and full of hope that will be fulfilled. :heart:
User avatar
Johnny Dangerous
Global Moderator
Posts: 12335
Joined: Fri Nov 02, 2012 10:58 pm
Location: Olympia WA
Contact:

Re: Abrahamic religions and Buddhism

Post by Johnny Dangerous »

Brahma wrote: Tue Dec 15, 2020 6:23 pm
PadmaVonSamba wrote: Tue Dec 15, 2020 6:06 pm
Brahma wrote: Tue Dec 15, 2020 2:54 pm

The purpose of the Dharma is to have Metta in a non-atattched way. Look at the Dalai-Lama, although celibate, He preaches compassion and Bodhisattvic Principles to people in relationships for them to be happier. So does Thich Nhat Hanh. The concept of Love is one prevalent among all religions, and Buddha teaches us how to Love others in an Annatic, non-atattched, free-from-doubt and free-from-fear way. To be Wrathful as a Spiritually Realized Master, one must have Love, otherwise one's wrath is in vain and not Buddhist or Spiritual. Without Love, there is no substance to anything. It is true that in the modern sense there is too much lust everywhere, and downfalls and pitfalls that are not Buddhist, but what I see the OP as having is not one of these. Although His possible future wife has some issues with Him needing to practice Her religion, there are important principles in human-kindness that cannot be avoided simply on the basis of staying with our beliefs when it comes to the most important thing in the world: Love. A Buddhist can marry anyone who Loves them back. Because the purpose of marriage is Love. If you think there is some other purpose to marriage other than Love, you are mistaken. Love is the meaning of life.
Actually, love as the reason for marriage is a relatively new concept in much of the the world. Really only a couple of centuries in western culture. Even today, arranged marriages are common and marriage for the function of benefiting the family survival is still the main concern in much of the world, with love being expected to find its way in at some point.

There is no argument that Buddhism teaches, as you suggest, the importance of love. But concern over personal relationships focused on feelings from the heart aren’t what one might call part of the Buddha’s agenda.

When you are taking your last dying breath, there will be nothing your loved ones will be able to do for you except perhaps recite the Tibetan book of the dead, or recite mantras, or pray for your rebirth in Amitabha’s Pure Land, depending on the tradition. But you’ll be on your own at that time. Regardless of how many loves you have had, regardless of how many people you’ve been in love with, or been married to, none of then can help you then.
So when you need the most help you're saying no one can help you? What kind of logic is this? Of course they can help you. Such is the purpose and meaning of our lives and Buddhism, being a Bodhisattva, and helping others out of Samsara. :heart:

Don't get caught in materialistic nonsense. We are luminous beings, not this crude matter. And our emotions for eachother are real, and full of hope that will be fulfilled. :heart:
What Padmavonsamba said is literally a basic Dharma teaching. There is no one to help us but our Dharma practice upon death, and you can't "take it with you", including your loved ones. It has nothing to do with materialism. There is no Buddhist teaching about about emotions being real.
"...if you think about how many hours, months and years of your life you've spent looking at things, being fascinated by things that have now passed away, then how wonderful to spend even five minutes looking into the nature of your own mind."

-James Low
Genjo Conan
Posts: 157
Joined: Thu Jul 23, 2020 6:27 pm

Re: Abrahamic religions and Buddhism

Post by Genjo Conan »

Upajjhatthana Sutta, AN 5.57
“There are these five facts that one should reflect on often, whether one is a woman or a man, lay or ordained. Which five?

“‘I am subject to aging, have not gone beyond aging.’ This is the first fact that one should reflect on often.…

“‘I am subject to illness, have not gone beyond illness’.…

“‘I am subject to death, have not gone beyond death’.…

“‘I will grow different, separate from all that is dear & appealing to me’.…

“‘I am the owner of actions [kamma], heir to actions, born of actions, related through actions, and have actions as my arbitrator. Whatever I do, for good or for evil, to that will I fall heir’.…

“These are the five facts that one should reflect on often, whether one is a woman or a man, lay or ordained.

...

“Now, based on what line of reasoning should one often reflect… that ‘I will grow different, separate from all that is dear & appealing to me’? There are beings who feel desire & passion for the things they find dear & appealing. Because of that passion, they conduct themselves in a bad way in body…in speech…and in mind. But when they often reflect on that fact, that desire & passion for the things they find dear & appealing will either be entirely abandoned or grow weaker.…"
Soma999
Posts: 374
Joined: Fri Apr 15, 2016 3:52 pm

Re: Abrahamic religions and Buddhism

Post by Soma999 »

Sentimentalism is not about dharma, but dharma is strongly connected to love, compassion.

Those you loved may not help you at the time of death. But the love you shared will help you. What you share and give is with you.

Love (not « marshmallow love »), transform you. The highest resonance is love (unity).

Meditation on emptiness makes one realise the co-dependency of everything. As everythings depends on everything, it dissolves tightness inside, open to a wide space where beautiful qualities arise, among them benevolence.

Saying fire is empty does not mean it does not burn. The world is of a dream-like quality, dream we can transform to make it a beautiful dream.

There are traps everywhere. In our mental and play with words are the worst traps.

Not realising how love (not sentimentalism and attachement) is related to the dharma is quiet sad.

« Without compassion, the dharma is rotten ».
User avatar
PadmaVonSamba
Posts: 4599
Joined: Sat May 14, 2011 1:41 am

Re: Abrahamic religions and Buddhism

Post by PadmaVonSamba »

Brahma wrote: Tue Dec 15, 2020 6:23 pm So when you need the most help you're saying no one can help you? What kind of logic is this? Of course they can help you. Such is the purpose and meaning of our lives and Buddhism, being a Bodhisattva, and helping others out of Samsara. :heart:

Don't get caught in materialistic nonsense. We are luminous beings, not this crude matter. And our emotions for eachother are real, and full of hope that will be fulfilled. :heart:
Really? How are you going to change my karma at the time of my death? Even the sutras make this point.
EMPTIFUL.
An inward outlook develops outward insight.
Giovanni
Posts: 63
Joined: Wed Nov 18, 2020 11:07 am

Re: Abrahamic religions and Buddhism

Post by Giovanni »

Brahma wrote: Tue Dec 15, 2020 5:29 pm
Giovanni wrote: Tue Dec 15, 2020 5:09 pm We must agree to disagree about what the “meaning of life “.
The starting point from Buddhadharma is to lose ideas about ‘meaning’ in that way.
The point is not an improved life..it is to not be born again into Samsaric worlds.
The whole reason people are caught in Samsara is because they don't have enough Metta, compassion, and Love and kindness for themselves and others. Nirvana is akin to all the best things we and for eachother as human beings, as living beings. To get out of Samsara one has to at least decide to pull oneself out of it, and others if they want to make fast progress in Buddhism. The monastic, solitary, way of life is full of this kind of illumination, and I see you are drawn to it's precepts. That is good. That isn't to say that Love between a married couple can't save one and get one out of Samsara if one of the spouses is a Buddhist, Teaching one the other through simply Loving them. If you don't feel that Love can save others and get them out of Samsara, then we truly disagree, and I see the OP truly as being concerned for the well-being of this woman He wants to marry, to get Her out of Samsara, and there is great merit in that. Not to shy away from True Love, True Metta is the greatest merit, and the bravery in humankind. Even especially Gautama Buddha wanted those who Loved eachother to get married. Om Mani Padme Hum.
I’m sorry but I think you do not understand Buddha’s Dharma. You have made a substitute religion from your own mind. Your motive is good but your understanding is not. Love and hate and attraction and repulsion are all equally samsara. I think you need a Buddhist teacher.
Giovanni
Posts: 63
Joined: Wed Nov 18, 2020 11:07 am

Re: Abrahamic religions and Buddhism

Post by Giovanni »

No one has ever climbed out of Samsara or helped someone else out of Samsara. Samsara is built on a false idea. The false idea is that you have separate own existence and that there are others who have separate own existence and you must help them.
But you don’t and they don’t. When you see that you will see that True Love is part of a game that makes us believe that we have separate long time self. The first step to seeing the game is to take Refuge with a Buddhist teacher.
User avatar
Könchok Chödrak
Posts: 345
Joined: Fri Aug 14, 2020 1:12 pm
Location: ༀ ∞ Nam Myoho Renge Kyo ∞ ༀ

Re: Abrahamic religions and Buddhism

Post by Könchok Chödrak »

PadmaVonSamba wrote: Tue Dec 15, 2020 8:29 pm
Brahma wrote: Tue Dec 15, 2020 6:23 pm So when you need the most help you're saying no one can help you? What kind of logic is this? Of course they can help you. Such is the purpose and meaning of our lives and Buddhism, being a Bodhisattva, and helping others out of Samsara. :heart:

Don't get caught in materialistic nonsense. We are luminous beings, not this crude matter. And our emotions for eachother are real, and full of hope that will be fulfilled. :heart:
Really? How are you going to change my karma at the time of my death? Even the sutras make this point.
If one takes refuge in the Buddha, the Dharma, and the Sangha, are those Three Jewels not able to bring them to a level of devotion to Buddhism upon which their karma is extinguished? If a Buddhist Mantra or just looking upon Avalokakitesvara's picture can wipe away the negative karma of one's life according to certain Teachers, then how much more those you deeply Love within Buddhism, or someone you Love very deeply who may be a Wonderfully Powerful Bodhisattva? Metta is transformative, and karma is not an unstoppable waterfall. I move to say repeating Nembutsu softly to oneself before Parinirvana is just as powerful as feeling someone's Love doing it with you, or even for you, because Love is to be shared and we can feel eachother's emotions. That's what being human is. There is even a saying that if you walk up to someone and repeat Namu Amida Butsu ten times they will be reborn in the Pure Land if they wish.
Last edited by Könchok Chödrak on Wed Dec 16, 2020 1:55 am, edited 6 times in total.
Giovanni
Posts: 63
Joined: Wed Nov 18, 2020 11:07 am

Re: Abrahamic religions and Buddhism

Post by Giovanni »

Karma can not be extinguished. karma will come to fruition. This is most basic Buddhism. I wonder whether you have been a Vedanta person? Looking at a picture of Dieties or reciting mantra does not extinguish karma. Such activities can raise merit for future good. If combined with raising Bodhicitta such activity can cause arising of prajna. But karma is only extinguished by coming to fruition. How this is experienced will depend on the View you hold.
If you want to know about devotion to Deity as practised with Vajrayana you need a teacher, not internet discussion.
User avatar
Könchok Chödrak
Posts: 345
Joined: Fri Aug 14, 2020 1:12 pm
Location: ༀ ∞ Nam Myoho Renge Kyo ∞ ༀ

Re: Abrahamic religions and Buddhism

Post by Könchok Chödrak »

The laws of karma are very difficult to understand. However, karma is not a game of physics. There is also free will and also repentance. If you factor those things in you will realize what level of understanding there is needed to live life. I see you have great Wisdom in the basics of Buddhism, but there is not only a single view you can hold that can make these things so easily understood without first understanding forgiveness. If you believe there are currents in this world based on the minds of living entities that return bad or good deeds, you will have to also believe that these living entities are capable of forgiveness and that powerful Buddhas and Bodhisattvas are able to steward one into a level of redemption based on what you say, yes, Bodhicitta and the desire to become Enlightened.

With regards to Abrahamic religions and Buddhism, there are some parallels in this sense, one desiring to have the Spirit of God is similar to that of Bodhicitta, and if you look at the deepest levels of wisdom in these other faiths you may find your own reflection. If you don't look there, however, decide to look at least towards full Enlightenment in Buddhism, to reach the state of no regression, and to attain full Awakening. The truth shouldn't be controversial, especially on a board like this full of aspirants to fully attain it. But what am I to say? You'll have to come to it from within. To me Buddha is Jesus, is Muhammad, is Krishna, is Guru Nanak, is the first Tirthankara in Jainism, King Rishabhanatha, and many, many more great personalities in the history of our planet's Spiritual Systems among many others. He has been around in this world since time immemorial, for eons, according to the Lotus Sutra, and will be around for eons more. What I am saying is great praise to the Buddha, because I honour Him in Truth. What I say as what I fully see the Truth to be is my True offering to Siddhartha. Don't shy away from Metta.

"Good men, if there are living beings who come to me, I employ my Buddha eye to observe their faith and to see if their other faculties are keen or dull, and then depending upon how receptive they are to salvation, I appear in different places and preach to them under different names, and describe the length of time during which my teachings will be effective. Sometimes when I make my appearance I say that I am about to enter nirvana, and also employ different expedient means to preach the subtle and wonderful Law, thus causing living beings to awaken joyful minds.
-The Lotus Sutra, Chapter 16, The Life Span of the Tathagata.
Last edited by Könchok Chödrak on Wed Dec 16, 2020 11:38 am, edited 4 times in total.
PeterC
Posts: 3083
Joined: Tue May 20, 2014 12:38 pm

Re: Abrahamic religions and Buddhism

Post by PeterC »

Brahma wrote: Tue Dec 15, 2020 6:23 pm Don't get caught in materialistic nonsense. We are luminous beings, not this crude matter.
Just because something sounds profound, doesn't mean it *is* profound. It could just be nonsense, like quoting Star Wars in a discussion on the Dharma.

And PvS is not wrong. He is simply saying what is stated over and over again in the teachings of all three turnings.
Giovanni
Posts: 63
Joined: Wed Nov 18, 2020 11:07 am

Re: Abrahamic religions and Buddhism

Post by Giovanni »

This is true. We are not “luminous beings” and we are not “dark beings”.That is not Buddhadharma. That is New Age teaching. This does not matter except that you are trying to teach people who know what the Buddhadharma is. And I think you do not. ‘Crude matter’ and cognitions and sparsa ..not sure of the translation and so on, all arise dependently. None of them are more real. All are dependant.
This is meant in kindness.🙂
User avatar
Könchok Chödrak
Posts: 345
Joined: Fri Aug 14, 2020 1:12 pm
Location: ༀ ∞ Nam Myoho Renge Kyo ∞ ༀ

Re: Abrahamic religions and Buddhism

Post by Könchok Chödrak »

I certainly am thankful for your kindness and you have a lot to propound to others. But I know who I am and I know my Path and have always known it. Just don't build yourself a philosophical castle of what you mentally speculate to be the Dharmic Teachings, because you might just be going against them while trying to explain something else about yourself. That is fine. And I am not saying you are doing that. You are a fine Buddhist because you have taken refuge in the Dharma and the Buddha, and I hope you will pursue the Path for the rest of your life. But do not do it in such a lonely way. If you do not bridge the Dharma to outside of yourself, like the OP is asking about Abrahamic religions and His possible future wife, you will live a lonely life, not even finding solace in Spiritual Books, because ultimately the Dharma is a Mystic Law that can be found all throughout the Cosmos, it is all pervading, even in the streams of waters in the Oceans, in the mountains, in the clouds, in the animal kingdom, and in in the atoms. And by far in the heroes who have saved our world. The Mystic Law of the Dharma is Metta, Karuna, and Love, and once you fully understand it you won't have any more doubts about who you are. Don't let go of it, however, the quick and easy path isn't so easy, but is a tedious and long painful trek throughout Samsara. Have faith in the Buddha's Teachings, because you are Loved. :namaste:
Giovanni
Posts: 63
Joined: Wed Nov 18, 2020 11:07 am

Re: Abrahamic religions and Buddhism

Post by Giovanni »

I have given no opinion or teaching of my own. All the teachings I mention are from my teachers. Each of these are lineage holders in authentic Tibetan Buddhist schools. Likewise the advice that you have been given by Padma and Johnny Dangerous have the ring of real Dharma. Your words do not. They sound like homemade. They have no life in the way that real Buddhadharma does. But all that can be done is advice to you. I think you will wander.
But it is YOUR precious human birth.
User avatar
Könchok Chödrak
Posts: 345
Joined: Fri Aug 14, 2020 1:12 pm
Location: ༀ ∞ Nam Myoho Renge Kyo ∞ ༀ

Re: Abrahamic religions and Buddhism

Post by Könchok Chödrak »

Giovanni wrote: Wed Dec 16, 2020 2:25 pm I have given no opinion or teaching of my own. All the teachings I mention are from my teachers. Each of these are lineage holders in authentic Tibetan Buddhist schools. Likewise the advice that you have been given by Padma and Johnny Dangerous have the ring of real Dharma. Your words do not. They sound like homemade. They have no life in the way that real Buddhadharma does. But all that can be done is advice to you. I think you will wander.
But it is YOUR precious human birth.
Thank you for your deep and kind advice. I value everything every Buddhist says to me and take it to heart. Buddhism is a religion of Sangha and kindness. I am glad you are following your Teachers. Do not wander in the forest alone unless you are capable of overcoming the dark. You will succeed with the light of your Spiritual Masters and no doubt will become a great one yourself. I fully respect the viewpoints given by every Buddhist on this forum and deeply value them, and they always help me on my own Path. I am not alone with the help of other Buddhists. I consider you and everyone else here a blessing to the world of the Dharma, and the Dharmic Teaching is of the Highest Value. So thank you for propounding it my friend, you will go far. Gom.

As for the OP, I believe that He can fully choose for Himself what to do, but it all comes down to the inner convictions of the Dharma and His Love. The Buddha would tell Him to maintain His Buddhism. If He were in a forest Sangha, He may observe Him to stay and not enter into householder life. But the Buddha is acceptant of laylife, and since the OP seems to already be a Layfollower of Siddhartha, if He feels like this Love and care He has for this woman is strong enough, then He can bring His Buddhism into Her life, while accepting some Islamic tenants. My real advice is, however, for Him to study Islam. It is a good starting point, and to find the parallels between what He finds true in Buddhism and what the tenants of Islam say to Him. If it seems like there isn't enough common ground, then He can build some with years of practice. I urge you to pursue Love and Compassion. Remember how the Dalai Lama Teaches multicultural meditation sometimes, even to Muslims. You can have a fully beautiful married life. Om.
Last edited by Könchok Chödrak on Wed Dec 16, 2020 2:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.
User avatar
PadmaVonSamba
Posts: 4599
Joined: Sat May 14, 2011 1:41 am

Re: Abrahamic religions and Buddhism

Post by PadmaVonSamba »

Brahma wrote: Wed Dec 16, 2020 2:01 pm I certainly am thankful for your kindness and you have a lot to propound to others. But I know who I am and I know my Path and have always known it. Just don't build yourself a philosophical castle of what you mentally speculate to be the Dharmic Teachings, because you might just be going against them while trying to explain something else about yourself. That is fine. And I am not saying you are doing that. You are a fine Buddhist because you have taken refuge in the Dharma and the Buddha, and I hope you will pursue the Path for the rest of your life. But do not do it in such a lonely way. If you do not bridge the Dharma to outside of yourself, like the OP is asking about Abrahamic religions and His possible future wife, you will live a lonely life, not even finding solace in Spiritual Books, because ultimately the Dharma is a Mystic Law that can be found all throughout the Cosmos, it is all pervading, even in the streams of waters in the Oceans, in the mountains, in the clouds, in the animal kingdom, and in in the atoms. And by far in the heroes who have saved our world. The Mystic Law of the Dharma is Metta, Karuna, and Love, and once you fully understand it you won't have any more doubts about who you are. Don't let go of it, however, the quick and easy path isn't so easy, but is a tedious and long painful trek throughout Samsara. Have faith in the Buddha's Teachings, because you are Loved. :namaste:
Your interpretation of BuddhaDharma, if that works for you, that’s all fine and well. Suggesting to other Buddhists that their own view is lacking in some kind of cosmic perspective or isn’t metta, well, that’s a bit of an ego trip perhaps.
The point of this discussion, however, isn’t your dharma practice or anyone else’s dharma practice, but that of the OP, and the conflicts that may arise. You can still have all the love in the universe for every other sentient being, turn obstacles into path, see Buddha everywhere and still experience great suffering at not being able to truly share such a precious gift with the very person closest to you.
EMPTIFUL.
An inward outlook develops outward insight.
Locked

Return to “Mahāyāna Buddhism”