Great Compassion Mantra

General forum on the teachings of all schools of Mahayana and Vajrayana Buddhism. Topics specific to one school are best posted in the appropriate sub-forum.
cjdevries

Great Compassion Mantra

Post by cjdevries »

I know we have had a few threads about the Great Compassion mantra, but I wanted to share my experiences of reciting it; I recited the Chinese pinyin version (da bei zhou). In several times of acute illness I recited the mantra and noticed clear physical improvement; I could feel energy rushing into my body while reciting and after reciting the mantra. When I recite it, I often feel my body becoming energized. Then, about 6 months ago, I had a bad dream and I started reciting the Great Compassion mantra while in the dream; almost instantly I was transported to the room of a healer who started to heal the wounds from the dream. He had very friendly, soothing energy; he put me on his healing table and explained to me that it was because I was reciting the Great Compassion mantra that I was able to make the connection with him and this allowed him to come and help me. Many sources have said that the Great Compassion mantra is very good for healing physical illnesses. I recommend it if you are looking for something to help with an illness.
"Please call me by my true names so I can wake up; so the door of my heart can be left open: the door of compassion." -Thich Nhat Hanh

"Ask: what's needed of you" -Akong Rinpoche

"Love never claims, it ever gives. Love ever suffers, never resents, never revenges itself." -Gandhi
FiveSkandhas

Re: Great Compassion Mantra

Post by FiveSkandhas »

That is wonderful.

Could you link us to the version you have been using?

南無観世音菩薩。
"One should cultivate contemplation in one’s foibles. The foibles are like fish, and contemplation is like fishing hooks. If there are no fish, then the fishing hooks have no use. The bigger the fish is, the better the result we will get. As long as the fishing hooks keep at it, all foibles will eventually be contained and controlled at will." -Zhiyi

"Just be kind." -Atisha
cjdevries

Post by cjdevries »

Here is a link to the Chinese pinyin version that I've been reciting:
http://buddhismpureland.blogspot.com/20 ... ra-da.html
"Please call me by my true names so I can wake up; so the door of my heart can be left open: the door of compassion." -Thich Nhat Hanh

"Love never claims, it ever gives. Love ever suffers, never resents, never revenges itself." -Gandhi
FiveSkandhas

Post by FiveSkandhas »

Thanks!
"One should cultivate contemplation in one’s foibles. The foibles are like fish, and contemplation is like fishing hooks. If there are no fish, then the fishing hooks have no use. The bigger the fish is, the better the result we will get. As long as the fishing hooks keep at it, all foibles will eventually be contained and controlled at will." -Zhiyi

"Just be kind." -Atisha
SilenceMonkey

Post by SilenceMonkey »

cjdevries wrote: Wed Nov 11, 2020 5:45 pm I know we have had a few threads about the Great Compassion mantra, but I wanted to share my experiences of reciting it; I recited the Chinese pinyin version (da bei zhou). In several times of acute illness I recited the mantra and noticed clear physical improvement; I could feel energy rushing into my body while reciting and after reciting the mantra. When I recite it, I often feel my body becoming energized. Then, about 6 months ago, I had a bad dream and I started reciting the Great Compassion mantra while in the dream; almost instantly I was transported to the room of a healer who started to heal the wounds from the dream. He had very friendly, soothing energy; he put me on his healing table and explained to me that it was because I was reciting the Great Compassion mantra that I was able to make the connection with him and this allowed him to come and help me. Many sources have said that the Great Compassion mantra is very good for healing physical illnesses. I recommend it if you are looking for something to help with an illness.
What a wonderful connection! I've also had good experiences with great compassion mantra and I love hearing your beautiful experience. :anjali:
Norden

Post by Norden »

When you want something badly, and you have hope and faith, our mind can create an illusion in order to meet our expectations. Our mind is very powerful, what we put it into it will manifest. Have you read a true story where a voodoo black magic victim was cured by a doctor who employed psychological trick?
明安 Myoan
Former staff member

Post by 明安 Myoan »

Unless I'm mistaken about which mantra/dharani is being discussed, there's a Sanskrit version on Rulu's site here. There's an included audio file of the pronunciation.
namo ratna-trayāya | nama āryāvalokiteśvarāya bodhisattvāya mahāsattvāya mahākāruṇikāya | oṁ sarva-bhaya-śodhanāya tasya namaskṛtvā | idam_āryāvalokiteśvara tava namo nīlakaṇṭha | hṛdayaṁ vartayiṣyāmi sarvārtha-sādhanaṁ śubham_ajeyaṁ sarva-bhūtānāṁ bhava-mārga-viśodhakaṁ | tad-yathā oṁ ālokādhipati lokātikrānta | ehi mahā-bodhisattva sarpa sarpa smara smara hṛdayaṁ | kuru kuru karma | dhuru dhuru vijayate mahā-vijayate | dhara dhara dhāraṇī-rāja | cala cala mama vimalamūrtte | ehi ehi cīrṇa cīrṇa ārṣaṁ pracali | vaśaṁ vaśaṁ pranāśaya | huru huru smara | huru huru sara sara siri siri suru suru | budhya budhya bodhaya bodhaya | maitreya nīlakaṇṭha [dehi me] darśanaṁ | praharāya-mānāya svāhā | siddhāya svāhā | mahā-siddhāya svāhā | siddha-yogīśvarāya svāhā | nīlakaṇṭhāya svāhā | varāha-mukhāya svāhā | nara-siṁha-mukhāya svāhā | gadā-hastāya svāhā | cakra-hastāya svāhā | padma-hastāya svāhā | nīlakaṇṭha-pāndarāya svāhā | mahātala-śaṁkarāya svāhā | namo ratna-trayāya | nama āryāvalokiteśvarāya bodhisattvāya svāhā | oṁ siddhyantu mantra-padāni svāhā||
---
Kobo Daishi wrote:These five pitakas can be compared to milk, cream, butter, cheese, and finally the wondrous ghee. The sutras are like milk. The subjugation [of the passions] is like cream. The doctrine of the abhidharma is like butter. Supreme wisdom of the Mahayana is like cheese. The Dharani Gateway is like ghee.

The flavor of ghee is sublime and better than the flavors of milk, cream, butter, and cheese. It takes away all illnesses and makes sentient beings happy and at peace in mind and body. The Dharani Gateway is foremost; better than the study of sutras and the rest. It can take away grievous sins and liberate all sentient beings from birth and death by causing them to realize the Dharma body of nirvana’s peace and bliss.
I'm also a big fan of the Buddha-Crown Superb Victory Dharani. Reciting it gives me a clean, fresh feeling.

:thumbsup:
Namu Amida Butsu
cjdevries

Post by cjdevries »

Norden I had no expectations when I went into reciting the mantra. I didn't have any ideas of what would happen or if anything would happen. It is my belief that the Great Compassion mantra helps one make connections to various Bodhisattvas; who can then aid the one who is reciting it.

Return to “Mahāyāna Buddhism”