8 Precepts from Dawn?

General forum on the teachings of all schools of Mahayana and Vajrayana Buddhism. Topics specific to one school are best posted in the appropriate sub-forum.
Könchok Thrinley
Former staff member

8 Precepts from Dawn?

Post by Könchok Thrinley »

Hey,

I want to start regular practice of taking 8 precepts, however I have quite a trouble with getting up at dawn (especially now when the days are longer). So, is it possible to take them before I go to sleep? How would one go about it when one uses a text where it says "I (known by this Name ) will, from this moment of taking the precepts and until dawn tomorrow, perfectly uphold the vows."
“Observing samaya involves to remain inseparable from the union of wisdom and compassion at all times, to sustain mindfulness, and to put into practice the guru’s instructions”. Garchen Rinpoche

Formerly known as Miroku.
Tlalok

Re: 8 Precepts from Dawn?

Post by Tlalok »

Könchok Thrinley wrote: Fri Jun 12, 2020 9:49 pm Hey,

I want to start regular practice of taking 8 precepts, however I have quite a trouble with getting up at dawn (especially now when the days are longer). So, is it possible to take them before I go to sleep? How would one go about it when one uses a text where it says "I (known by this Name ) will, from this moment of taking the precepts and until dawn tomorrow, perfectly uphold the vows."
You could go to bed after midnight? It feels a little rules lawyery though.
Könchok Thrinley
Former staff member

Post by Könchok Thrinley »

Tlalok wrote: Fri Jun 12, 2020 11:09 pm
Könchok Thrinley wrote: Fri Jun 12, 2020 9:49 pm Hey,

You could go to bed after midnight? It feels a little rules lawyery though.
Yeah it kinda does. When I took them for the first time a week ago I was up until 3 am watching the stream. And I think it could be just done with my intention? That if I have a precise intention from now until the dawn of next day (so not the first dawn but the second) it could work I think. IT is longer than 24h but at the same time some commentaries mention that it is possible to take those vows for longer periods of time.
“Observing samaya involves to remain inseparable from the union of wisdom and compassion at all times, to sustain mindfulness, and to put into practice the guru’s instructions”. Garchen Rinpoche

Formerly known as Miroku.
FromTheEarth

Post by FromTheEarth »

Traditionally, any time before the dawn counts as part of the previous day. The Chinese vinaya tradition only requires one to undertake the precepts early in the morning—it doesn't have to be dawn. And, to my very unreliable impression, in practice, Theravadins also do not strictly require the precepts to be taken right at dawn. I may be wrong.

Return to “Mahāyāna Buddhism”