Kilung life release

General forum on the teachings of all schools of Mahayana and Vajrayana Buddhism. Topics specific to one school are best posted in the appropriate sub-forum.
cjdevries

Kilung life release

Post by cjdevries »

Kilung foundation offers a life release service where you can sponsor the release of a large animal. To save a yak from imminent slaughter is $1600. Sheep is $260. A more inexpensive option is to arrange a life saving with a family, which is $250 for yak and $100 for sheep. I recently paid $250 to save a goat from slaughter, but they no longer are offering the release of goats. I hope to soon have enough to save a sheep for $100. https://www.kilung.org/saving-the-lives-of-animals/
"Please call me by my true names so I can wake up; so the door of my heart can be left open: the door of compassion." -Thich Nhat Hanh

"Ask: what's needed of you" -Akong Rinpoche

"Love never claims, it ever gives. Love ever suffers, never resents, never revenges itself." -Gandhi
cjdevries

Re: Kilung life release

Post by cjdevries »

I found the Mahakaruna Foundation, which offers the service of saving a yak from slaughter for only $92, which is much less than Kilung's service http://www.mahakaruna.org/Yak_Saving_Lives.html
"Please call me by my true names so I can wake up; so the door of my heart can be left open: the door of compassion." -Thich Nhat Hanh

"Ask: what's needed of you" -Akong Rinpoche

"Love never claims, it ever gives. Love ever suffers, never resents, never revenges itself." -Gandhi
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

cjdevries wrote: Mon Jun 22, 2020 7:26 pm I found the Mahakaruna Foundation, which offers the service of saving a yak from slaughter for only $92, which is much less than Kilung's service http://www.mahakaruna.org/Yak_Saving_Lives.html
Are we bargain shopping for merit now?
Grigoris
Former staff member

Post by Grigoris »

cjdevries wrote: Wed May 20, 2020 6:50 pm Kilung foundation offers a life release service where you can sponsor the release of a large animal. To save a yak from imminent slaughter is $1600. Sheep is $260. A more inexpensive option is to arrange a life saving with a family, which is $250 for yak and $100 for sheep. I recently paid $250 to save a goat from slaughter, but they no longer are offering the release of goats. I hope to soon have enough to save a sheep for $100. https://www.kilung.org/saving-the-lives-of-animals/
You can get a lung for the practice and do it yourself.

It is difficult to release larger animals in an urban, or even rural, environment. With my lama in Athens we buy and release live snails (sold for eating) in vacant lots and parks. Here on the island I buy live bait (for fishing) and release it into the sea.
"My religion is not deceiving myself."
Jetsun Milarepa 1052-1135 CE

"Butchers, prostitutes, those guilty of the five most heinous crimes, outcasts, the underprivileged: all are utterly the substance of existence and nothing other than total bliss."
The Supreme Source - The Kunjed Gyalpo
The Fundamental Tantra of Dzogchen Semde
Grigoris
Former staff member

Post by Grigoris »

Malcolm wrote: Mon Jun 22, 2020 8:23 pm
cjdevries wrote: Mon Jun 22, 2020 7:26 pm I found the Mahakaruna Foundation, which offers the service of saving a yak from slaughter for only $92, which is much less than Kilung's service http://www.mahakaruna.org/Yak_Saving_Lives.html
For $92 a yak he can save 17 yaks for the price of one yak with the other organisation. ;)

That is 17 times more merit for the same price. A bargain if I ever saw one (and lots more happy yaks).

"Butchers, prostitutes, those guilty of the five most heinous crimes, outcasts, the underprivileged: all are utterly the substance of existence and nothing other than total bliss."
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

Grigoris wrote: Mon Jun 22, 2020 10:24 pm
Malcolm wrote: Mon Jun 22, 2020 8:23 pm
For $92 a yak he can save 17 yaks for the price of one yak with the other organisation. ;)

That is 17 times more merit for the same price. A bargain if I ever saw one (and lots more happy yaks).
More likely it will be releasing the same yak 17 times.
florin

Post by florin »

If you want to perform life release go to a petshop. There you can find live crickets and worms for cheap. Life is life.
Norwegian

Post by Norwegian »

florin wrote: Mon Jun 22, 2020 11:01 pm If you want to perform life release go to a petshop. There you can find live crickets and worms for cheap. Life is life.
Lots of pet shops in places where crickets don't normally exist, carry crickets (and likewise for other fish, insects, and so on.) So one shouldn't release animals that don't naturally exist in a habitat/the environment. Life release is a horrible practice when done wrong.
florin

Post by florin »

Norwegian wrote: Mon Jun 22, 2020 11:09 pm
florin wrote: Mon Jun 22, 2020 11:01 pm If you want to perform life release go to a petshop. There you can find live crickets and worms for cheap. Life is life.
Lots of pet shops in places where crickets don't normally exist, carry crickets (and likewise for other fish, insects, and so on.) So one shouldn't release animals that don't naturally exist in a habitat/the environment. Life release is a horrible practice when done wrong.
I agree. I know this first hand. It should be done with utmost care and people should get informed first about environment, right season, conditions, etc...
Simon E.

Post by Simon E. »

And almost invariably it will be done wrong. The chances of releasing the various creatures into an environment which will sustain the sudden influx without them starving and or causing environmental damage is remote.
It’s a terrible practice, aimed at providing a feel good factor for those that indulge in it at the expense of even more suffering for the sentient beings who are pawns in this game.
“You don’t know it. You just know about it. That is not the same thing.”

Chogyam Trungpa Rinpoche to me.
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

Simon E. wrote: Mon Jun 22, 2020 11:57 pm
And almost invariably it will be done wrong. The chances of releasing the various creatures into an environment which will sustain the sudden influx without them starving and or causing environmental damage is remote.
It’s a terrible practice, aimed at providing a feel good factor for those that indulge in it at the expense of even more suffering for the sentient beings who are pawns in this game.
It can be a sort of mindless act of piety. Anyway, Tibetans eat way more sheep than yaks.
Charlie123

Post by Charlie123 »

Simon E. wrote: Mon Jun 22, 2020 11:57 pm
It is possible to do it right if you are willing to invest the effort. You just have to pay attention and do a little bit of research. It is quite wonderful when done properly.

Of course, it also depends where you live.
Charlie123

Post by Charlie123 »

The Kilung foundation people seem to have a farm where they take care of the animals that have been released. If the animals are treated well, this is perfect.
Grigoris
Former staff member

Post by Grigoris »

Simon E. wrote: Mon Jun 22, 2020 11:57 pmAnd almost invariably it will be done wrong. The chances of releasing the various creatures into an environment which will sustain the sudden influx without them starving and or causing environmental damage is remote.
So much for rejoicing in people's merit.

So much for motivation being the central principle behind karma.

Simon E.

Post by Simon E. »

Greg please don’t tell me that you are saying that the widely reported and reliably witnessed accounts of fish and lobsters being released, and the local fishermen moored up round the headland in order to catch and resell them repeatedly is OK because the marks intentions were good...

Grigoris
Former staff member

Post by Grigoris »

Simon E. wrote: Tue Jun 23, 2020 9:43 am Greg please don’t tell me that you are saying that the widely reported and reliably witnessed accounts of fish and lobsters being released, and the local fishermen moored up round the headland in order to catch and resell them repeatedly is OK because the marks intentions were good...
The karma of the releaser and the karma of the catcher are two different things. I am sure I don't need to point that out to you.

Simon E.

Post by Simon E. »

No doubt..but the releasing was actually adding to the karma -vipaka of the fishermen..

Grigoris
Former staff member

Post by Grigoris »

Simon E. wrote: Tue Jun 23, 2020 10:32 am No doubt..but the releasing was actually adding to the karma -vipaka of the fishermen..
Welcome to samsara, where everything sucks.

Simon E.

Post by Simon E. »

Oh sure. There are few simple solutions in this vale of tears.

PeterC

Post by PeterC »

Does anyone have personal experience with either of these organizations?

I like the idea of ransoming a yak. Yaks are nice animals. The world needs more yaks.

Return to “Mahāyāna Buddhism”