Best countries to expand buddhism?

General forum on the teachings of all schools of Mahayana and Vajrayana Buddhism. Topics specific to one school are best posted in the appropriate sub-forum.
AkashicBrother

Best countries to expand buddhism?

Post by AkashicBrother »

Which countries could be best for buddhist missionary activity ? the more obvious answer in my view is latin america (specially mexico , perhaps brazil and the caribbean countries) and oceania, plus the traditional missionary activities in the west. but there is also space in unlikely countries like some places in africa and even in central asia ( modern kazakhstan is now a very very secular and open country) and russia (which has buddhist majority states, but they need more development , like places for monk graduation). it would also be great if the situation of buddhist reduction in japan and south korea be reversed somehow. and the growth in china be increased further.
Simon E.

Re: Best countries to expand buddhism?

Post by Simon E. »

“ Buddhist missionary activity”...? Is that like, a thing ?
“You don’t know it. You just know about it. That is not the same thing.”

Chogyam Trungpa Rinpoche to me.
AkashicBrother

Post by AkashicBrother »

Simon E. wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2019 3:00 pm “ Buddhist missionary activity”...? Is that like, a thing ?
It should be. The reason why buddhism expanded to china, central asia and southern asia (including places like the indonesian islands) was the missionary activity sponsored by asoka. So yes, buddhism is supposed to proselityze, as it is originally a universalist religion. But historical crisis have weakened buddhism and made most buddhist orders merely national cultural regions. But the ideas of buddhism are universalist and the apogee of buddhism was when it was missionary and more centralised in nature.
Simon E.

Post by Simon E. »

Gosh.
“You don’t know it. You just know about it. That is not the same thing.”

Chogyam Trungpa Rinpoche to me.
Könchok Thrinley
Former staff member

Post by Könchok Thrinley »

Jesus, leave those ideas. Buddhism is here to produce enlightened beings and liberate beings from suffering not to be spread out like christianity or islam. The only country where buddhism should be spread is the country of your mind and the only mission that should be set up is the compassionate mission in your heart.
“Observing samaya involves to remain inseparable from the union of wisdom and compassion at all times, to sustain mindfulness, and to put into practice the guru’s instructions”. Garchen Rinpoche

Formerly known as Miroku.
AkashicBrother

Post by AkashicBrother »

Miroku wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2019 4:47 pm Jesus, leave those ideas. Buddhism is here to produce enlightened beings and liberate beings from suffering not to be spread out like christianity or islam. The only country where buddhism should be spread is the country of your mind and the only mission that should be set up is the compassionate mission in your heart.
so, you think what asoka did was wrong ? if not for buddhist missionaries and asoka buddhism would be an arcane unknown dead (or barely alive) religion , like manichaeism. anyone from any religion can be good. buddhism is a study for the philosophical truth in the universe combined with faith , kindness and justice. its not just being good, its a singular world view. a christian can be good and companssionate too. but the christian cosmological views are incorrect because they rest in wrong premises. i dont know about you, but i dislike when 80% of south koreans left buddhism to become christians or atheists. it is bad to see the dharma disappear.
Könchok Thrinley
Former staff member

AkashicBrother wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2019 5:14 pm so, you think what asoka did was wrong ? if not for buddhist missionaries and asoka buddhism would be an arcane unknown dead (or barely alive) religion , like manichaeism. anyone from any religion can be good. buddhism is a study for the philosophical truth in the universe combined with faith , kindness and justice. its not just being good, its a singular world view. a christian can be good and companssionate too. but the christian cosmological views are incorrect because they rest in wrong premises. i dont know about you, but i dislike when 80% of south koreans left buddhism to become christians or atheists. it is bad to see the dharma disappear.
Asoka was far from perfect. But going for "missions" into countries is silly at best. Buddhism cannot spread without people interested. As long as people are interested enough and feel disillusioned from samsara, buddhism will live. So if you want to do something good then maybe start a local center, ask teachers to come, open doors of a dharma center to people. And most importantly give up this idea of "missionaries". As it says in dzogchen teachings (and is perfectly appliable here) "explain dzogchen to one interested and it is not enough, explain it to hundreds of uninterested and it is too much".

I am getting bit too tired of people focusing on "spreading of buddhism" and "future of buddhism" without giving the same amount of thought to their own practice and integration of dharma into their own lives.

Yes it is sad people are leaving dharma, but in korea the main reason for people leaving is that the priests there are corrupted as all hell. So kinda their own doing. In Himalayan region missionaries offer people money and medications and promise them god knows what. So kinda shady. As Garchen Rinpoche said leave worrying about the future of the lineages to the heads of the lineages and worry about your own practice.
“Observing samaya involves to remain inseparable from the union of wisdom and compassion at all times, to sustain mindfulness, and to put into practice the guru’s instructions”. Garchen Rinpoche

AkashicBrother

Post by AkashicBrother »

obviously when i talk of missionary activity i mean in a peaceful way, through sharing wisdom, debating, doing charity, etc . lets not forget that buddha himself created a new religion modelled on a reformed version of jainism. he discussed with hindus, jains and carvaka philosophers and tried to expand his new religious-philosophical school through constructive criticism of other religions. and despite not being perfect, what ashoka did was very important for the survival and preservation of buddhism. preserving and expanding the dharma is important and worthy but i agree that the monks must be honest and follow the dharma properly to set a good example. but i say again, the excessive division of buddhism is the main reason why its being reduced.
cyril

Post by cyril »

AkashicBrother wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2019 2:09 pm Which countries could be best for buddhist missionary activity ?
As Buddhists, we accept the truth of dependant origination. All phenomena arise in dependence upon causes and conditions. Therefore, Dharma will naturally be established and flourish in those places where beings having a connection with Dharma are being born. Which strips the missionary activity of any practical relevance, imo. Someone lacking connection with Dharma will show no interest no matter how much you preach. Ashoka sent missionaries as far as Alexandria; yet, Dharma did not take roots in Egypt or anywhere nearby. Conversely, someone with a good previous connection will eventually find his way into Dharma no matter how disadvantageous the circumstances.
However, we do have (at least in Vajrayana) numerous ways in which we can help beings make such connections with Dharma; employing them is part of bodhisattva's activity.
"You have to make the good out of the bad because that is all you have got to make it out of."
- Robert Penn Warren -
AkashicBrother

Post by AkashicBrother »

could it be possible for theravada and mahayana to unify in a single school? theravadins and mahayanists could gather together and try to combine their canons , but also discuss the contradictions beteen the texts to create a new canon with no contradictions combining texts from both mahayana and theravada. theravada also has texts that the mahayana dont.
Könchok Thrinley
Former staff member

:good: Cyril, yes.

Könchok Thrinley
Former staff member

AkashicBrother wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2019 5:50 pm could it be possible for theravada and mahayana to unify in a single school? theravadins and mahayanists could gather together and try to combine their canons , but also discuss the contradictions beteen the texts to create a new canon with no contradictions combining texts from both mahayana and theravada. theravada also has texts that the mahayana dont.
Impossible. Theravadins just don't take those mahayana texts and that is fine. We do not need one unified church of buddha. One of the reasons why buddhism flourishes is because we are like one huge family. Just like people with same name come from different families. They may be related by blood but completely different and not know each other. And it is okay. There is no big fight, there is no problem. Different people need different medicine.

jake
Global Moderator

Post by jake »

AkashicBrother wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2019 5:50 pm could it be possible for theravada and mahayana to unify in a single school? theravadins and mahayanists could gather together and try to combine their canons , but also discuss the contradictions beteen the texts to create a new canon with no contradictions combining texts from both mahayana and theravada. theravada also has texts that the mahayana dont.
Are the schools in these traditions incomplete? Is that why you argue they should be combined? If they are not incomplete but both hold teachings and paths to awakening then what would be the point of combining them? The goal is awakening, right? Not some sort of bureaucratic efficiency.
AkashicBrother

Post by AkashicBrother »

The goal is to produce a more unifyed buddhism. hence more able to teach and spread the dharma to the world. the differences of theravada and mahayana can be mended and the schools can unite. im not saying there is a fight between theravada and mahayana. im saying the opposite, the difference between thravada and mahayana is not big enough to merit the division. what in mahayana is so opposed to theravada views ? i dont think its that different.
cyril

Post by cyril »

AkashicBrother wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2019 6:03 pm The goal is to produce a more unifyed buddhism. hence more able to teach and spread the dharma to the world. the differences of theravada and mahayana can be mended and the schools can unite. im not saying there is a fight between theravada and mahayana. im saying the opposite, the difference between thravada and mahayana is not big enough to merit the division. what in mahayana is so opposed to theravada views ? i dont think its that different.
And there will be one flock and one shepherd....

Now seriously, Buddhas teach various Dharma gates simply because sentient beings possess different aspirations, different propensities and different capacities. There is no one size fits it all in Buddhadharma and I personally find that wonderful; that's the way it should be.
"You have to make the good out of the bad because that is all you have got to make it out of."
- Robert Penn Warren -
AkashicBrother

Post by AkashicBrother »

there should not be a single buddhist schools, but the division should certainly be reduced. and unifying mahayana and therava would only generate good things. it would boost the dharma and greatly increase buddhist cooperation and interaction between schools in asia. buddhism needs something like that.
Grigoris
Former staff member

Post by Grigoris »

AkashicBrother wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2019 6:22 pm there should not be a single buddhist schools, but the division should certainly be reduced. and unifying mahayana and therava would only generate good things. it would boost the dharma and greatly increase buddhist cooperation and interaction between schools in asia. buddhism needs something like that.
Like I said to you in another thread: there are many serious attempts to bring the different schools together, to share their wisdoms.

Just because you are not aware of it...

I also pointed out in another thread that one of those attempts is the MCU project to publish the Nikaya of all the various Dharma traditions in one cross-referential encyclopedia.

Another attempt is the United Nations Vesak Day conferences that bring together Buddhist representatives from all traditions from all over the world to discuss different facets of Buddhism and social development.
"My religion is not deceiving myself."
Jetsun Milarepa 1052-1135 CE

"Butchers, prostitutes, those guilty of the five most heinous crimes, outcasts, the underprivileged: all are utterly the substance of existence and nothing other than total bliss."
The Supreme Source - The Kunjed Gyalpo
The Fundamental Tantra of Dzogchen Semde
kirtu
Former staff member

Post by kirtu »

AkashicBrother wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2019 2:09 pm Which countries could be best for buddhist missionary activity ?
Wherever there is suffering and the right kind of person can come to present the teachings.

Kirt
Kirt's Tibetan Translation Notes

"Even if you practice only for an hour a day with faith and inspiration, good qualities will steadily increase. Regular practice makes it easy to transform your mind. From seeing only relative truth, you will eventually reach a profound certainty in the meaning of absolute truth."
Kyabje Dilgo Khyentse Rinpoche.

"Only you can make your mind beautiful."
HH Chetsang Rinpoche
Könchok Thrinley
Former staff member

Grigoris wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2019 6:58 pm
AkashicBrother wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2019 6:22 pm there should not be a single buddhist schools, but the division should certainly be reduced. and unifying mahayana and therava would only generate good things. it would boost the dharma and greatly increase buddhist cooperation and interaction between schools in asia. buddhism needs something like that.
Like I said to you in another thread: there are many serious attempts to bring the different schools together, to share their wisdoms.

Just because you are not aware of it...

I also pointed out in another thread that one of those attempts is the MCU project to publish the Nikaya of all the various Dharma traditions in one cross-referential encyclopedia.

Another attempt is the United Nations Vesak Day conferences that bring together Buddhist representatives from all traditions from all over the world to discuss different facets of Buddhism and social development.
Yes, but that does not mean turning buddhism into one giant unified school, right? Also Greg, can I ask you if you would be willing to start a thread where you would share your knowledge about these projects? It sounds actually pretty interesting.

Grigoris
Former staff member

Post by Grigoris »

Miroku wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2019 7:06 pmYes, but that does not mean turning buddhism into one giant unified school, right?
No, it does not mean that at all. It is about generating mutual respect and understanding for all of the different paths and their origin in the teachings of the Buddha.

OM YE DHARMA HETU-PRABHAVA HETUM TESHAM TATHAGATO HYAVADAT TESHAM CHA YO NIRODHA EVAM VADI MAHASHRAMANAH SVAHA

All dharmas originate from causes.
The Tathagata has taught these causes,
And also that which puts a stop to these causes—
This too has been taught by the Great Shramana.
"My religion is not deceiving myself."
Jetsun Milarepa 1052-1135 CE

"Butchers, prostitutes, those guilty of the five most heinous crimes, outcasts, the underprivileged: all are utterly the substance of existence and nothing other than total bliss."
The Supreme Source - The Kunjed Gyalpo
The Fundamental Tantra of Dzogchen Semde

Return to “Mahāyāna Buddhism”