Chanting Sutra

General forum on the teachings of all schools of Mahayana and Vajrayana Buddhism. Topics specific to one school are best posted in the appropriate sub-forum.
Queequeg
Global Moderator

Chanting Sutra

Post by Queequeg »

If you already chant sutras as a practice, this might be encouraging. If you don't, maybe this will inspire you.

https://buddhaweekly.com/reciting-sutra ... Ks-eNDbKMc
Those who, even with distracted minds,
Entered a stupa compound
And chanted but once, “Namo Buddhaya!”
Have certainly attained the path of the buddhas.

-Lotus Sutra, Expedient Means Chapter

There are beings with little dust in their eyes who are falling away because they do not hear the Dhamma. There will be those who will understand the Dhamma.
-Ayacana Sutta
rory

Re: Chanting Sutra

Post by rory »

I love sutra chanting, it is one of my favourite practices.These are my favourites: Heart sutra for pithiness, Ch 25 from the Lotus sutra for great Guanyin/Kannon and Amida sutra for going to the Pure Land...Oh and Ch. 14 Lotus sutra Lifespan of the Buddha!

What are your favourite sutras/chapters to chant?
gassho
Rory
Namu Kanzeon Bosatsu
Chih-I:
The Tai-ching states "the women in the realms of Mara, Sakra and Brahma all neither abandoned ( their old) bodies nor received (new) bodies. They all received buddhahood with their current bodies (genshin)" Thus these verses state that the dharma nature is like a great ocean. No right or wrong is preached (within it) Ordinary people and sages are equal, without superiority or inferiority
Paul, Groner "The Lotus Sutra in Japanese Culture"eds. Tanabe p. 58
https://www.tendai-usa.org/
Könchok Thrinley
Former staff member

Re: Chanting Sutra

Post by Könchok Thrinley »

Yeah, chanting sutra is great! Great way to gain merit, study sutras and it is also strangely relaxing to read something for an hour or two out loud. I was thinking that maybe dharmawheel could make its own "sutra resounding" practice, like the 84000 project does. :D
“Observing samaya involves to remain inseparable from the union of wisdom and compassion at all times, to sustain mindfulness, and to put into practice the guru’s instructions”. Garchen Rinpoche

Formerly known as Miroku.

Return to “Mahāyāna Buddhism”