Samaddhi for softening people's mind

General forum on the teachings of all schools of Mahayana and Vajrayana Buddhism. Topics specific to one school are best posted in the appropriate sub-forum.
javier.espinoza.t

Samaddhi for softening people's mind

Post by javier.espinoza.t »

Is there a Samaddhi for developing softening people's minds?

cheers!
amanitamusc

Re: Samaddhi for softening people's mind

Post by amanitamusc »

javier.espinoza.t wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2019 6:14 am Is there a Samaddhi for developing softening people's minds?

cheers!
In what way do you mean soften?
Last edited by amanitamusc on Sat Mar 16, 2019 7:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
stevie

Post by stevie »

I don't know the term 'softening' in the context of meditative states, however I know the term 'pliancy' = 'serviceability' in the context of calm abiding as taught by Tsongkhapa.
J. Hopkins in 'Meditation on Emptiness' wrote:Calm abiding is attained when the ninth state is conjoined with a fully qualified pliancy—a serviceability of body and mind.
amanitamusc

Post by amanitamusc »

javier.espinoza.t wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2019 6:14 am Is there a Samaddhi for developing softening people's minds?

cheers!
Do you mean other peoples minds you have contact with?
javier.espinoza.t

amanitamusc wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2019 8:41 am

cheers!
soften means to calm, to dispell cognitive obstacles, and yes, i mean other peoples minds i have contact with.
SunWuKong

Post by SunWuKong »

javier.espinoza.t wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2019 2:27 pm

cheers!
soften means to calm, to dispell cognitive obstacles, and yes, i mean other peoples minds i have contact with.
LOL the answer is "yes" then. That kind of Samadhi is called "Right Samadhi"

In Buddhism the term "samadhi" differs from yoga and vedanta based systems, where is hugely CAPITALIZED as though it's the final goal. In Buddhism it means meditation practices (and samadhi is the correct word, meditation is the incorrect term) whether sitting, lying down, standing, walking. doing the dishes, changing the oil, etc) - it is being used in conjunction with cognitive based therapies, if you're interested. The topic is too big so maybe define whats on your mind? Why the question??
"We are magical animals that roam" ~ Roam
javier.espinoza.t

SunWuKong wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2019 8:26 pm

In Buddhism the term "samadhi" differs from yoga and vedanta based systems, where is hugely CAPITALIZED as though it's the final goal. In Buddhism it means meditation practices (and samadhi is the correct word, meditation is the incorrect term) whether sitting, lying down, standing, walking. doing the dishes, changing the oil, etc) - it is being used in conjunction with cognitive based therapies, if you're interested. The topic is too big so maybe define whats on your mind? Why the question??
Haha cool. I thought samadhi was just a mediative absorption limited by time and secondary causes, not something ultimate, and that developing the result of samadhi was just like developing a particular skill, a siddhi some would say.

I have the question because I'm sure this is possible, but don't know if there is a mean to -"samadhi"- in the bodhisattvayana.
SunWuKong

Post by SunWuKong »

javier.espinoza.t wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2019 9:09 pm

Haha cool. I thought samadhi was just a mediative absorption limited by time and secondary causes, not something ultimate, and that developing the result of samadhi was just like developing a particular skill, a siddhi some would say.

I have the question because I'm sure this is possible, but don't know if there is a mean to -"samadhi"- in the bodhisattvayana.
There absolutely is "Samadhi" in Bodhisattvayana. It means any/all kind of meditative practice.

Absorption is a bit of a controversial topic in Buddhism. In the colloquial, it means the "senses" are turned inward - and I'm sure there are degrees and stages of this. Somewhat unfortunately the systemization of this under Buddhaghosa is the widest used text, rather than whats actually in the Pali Canon (also not perfect). The "jhana" system in Pali text is still considered to be canonical in Bodhisattvayana but is spelled "Dhyanas" and it's actually expanded. I'm combing through Mahayana meditation manuals (slowly) looking for more on this. What you are thinking of as "Samadhi" are probably also known as "Arupa~Jhanas" (of the Non-Material Realm) which colloquially might be a type of "cosmic-consciousness" ~ but! It's not the same as Enlightenment/Awakening/Nirvana which are kind of defined as transcendent apprehension of Wisdom
passel

Post by passel »

Samatha, then vipasyana, or vice versa, or both together.
"I have made a heap of all that I have met"- Svetonious
passel

Post by passel »

Samadhi is the final goal in those systems. Same word, different usage. It's not that they have a partial understanding of the buddhist path; it's a common or at least overlapping vocabulary taken in different directions.
"I have made a heap of all that I have met"- Svetonious
haha

Post by haha »

The Samadhi in other traditions does not have same meaning that is used in Buddhism. We can associate their Samadhi with Samatha practice. If you mean Samadhi in that sense, then it is definitely for making the mind flexible. But, Lokotara Citta will not be produced without the right view.

When Boddhisattvas are in path, they develop innumerable types of Samadhi to benefit other sentient beings. While teaching Mahayana sutras and Tantra, Tathagata generally enters into different kinds of Samadhi.
SunWuKong

Post by SunWuKong »

Cultivating samadhis can result in what's termed siddhis. It can also, if cultivated wrongly result in Delusions of Grandeur; imho any guru or teacher claiming to be a Universal Savior. They are TRIPPING, as in ego trip. Use snake oil at your own risk, drink the kool-aide at your own peril. Siddhis are called "iddhi" also if you want to research them.
javier.espinoza.t

SunWuKong wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2019 8:13 pm

Cultivating samadhis can result in what's termed siddhis. It can also, if cultivated wrongly result in Delusions of Grandeur; imho any guru or teacher claiming to be a Universal Savior. They are TRIPPING, as in ego trip. Use snake oil at your own risk, drink the kool-aide at your own peril. Siddhis are called "iddhi" also if you want to research them.
Yeah, i'm aware of the absorptions that leads to arupa realms and such. But I'm not really interested in the devaloka at all.

Development of skills in Mahayana are of my interest. You mention there is a systematized scheme for that?

I don't think Samadhi is atemporal, and it can't be an end point.
javier.espinoza.t

SunWuKong wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2019 9:44 pm

There absolutely is "Samadhi" in Bodhisattvayana. It means any/all kind of meditative practice.

Absorption is a bit of a controversial topic in Buddhism. In the colloquial, it means the "senses" are turned inward - and I'm sure there are degrees and stages of this. Somewhat unfortunately the systemization of this under Buddhaghosa is the widest used text, rather than whats actually in the Pali Canon (also not perfect). The "jhana" system in Pali text is still considered to be canonical in Bodhisattvayana but is spelled "Dhyanas" and it's actually expanded. I'm combing through Mahayana meditation manuals (slowly) looking for more on this. What you are thinking of as "Samadhi" are probably also known as "Arupa~Jhanas" (of the Non-Material Realm) which colloquially might be a type of "cosmic-consciousness" ~ but! It's not the same as Enlightenment/Awakening/Nirvana which are kind of defined as transcendent apprehension of Wisdom
I'm sorry i didn't answered correctly, i didn't had much time.

I consider such samadhi should be a kind of absorption because for softening other people's mind one must start oneself, know oneself better, see how and why one can get confused, etc., because Bodhisattvas must have some technique for each purpose.

So, spending time sitting with this purpose is very interesting and useful.

I wondered where this information could be found.
SunWuKong

Post by SunWuKong »

javier.espinoza.t wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2019 3:40 pm

I consider such samadhi should be a kind of absorption because for softening other people's mind one must start oneself, know oneself better, see how and why one can get confused, etc., because Bodhisattvas must have some technique for each purpose.

Buddhism has 84,000 texts, not counting the many that are lost to the sands of time. I'm still searching for ancient Mahayana texts detailing everything i want to know about Dhyana practices
Sentient Light

Post by Sentient Light »

Dhyana-samadhi figures importantly into many of the early Mahayana schemas, which we can find in texts like Kumarajiva's Sutra on Sitting Meditation Samadhi, An Shigao's early commentaries and meditation guides, the Yogacahrabhumisastra, the Maitreya chapter of the Samdhinirmocana Sutra, etc. Arguably, this emphasis has never left Mahayana practice, just the terminology shifts over time. In Vietnamese, we specifically say Thien Dinh (dhyana-samadhi), and it's very unlikely to encounter any meditation text or teacher that will not use the term and explicitly state it as at least the preliminary goals of our practice.
:buddha1: Nam mô A di đà Phật :buddha1:
:bow: Nam mô Quan Thế Âm Bồ tát :bow:
:bow: Nam mô Đại Thế Chi Bồ Tát :bow:

:buddha1: Nam mô Bổn sư Thích ca mâu ni Phật :buddha1:
:bow: Nam mô Di lặc Bồ tát :bow:
:bow: Nam mô Địa tạng vương Bồ tát :bow:
SunWuKong

Post by SunWuKong »

Sentient Light wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2019 7:58 pm

Dhyana-samadhi figures importantly into many of the early Mahayana schemas, which we can find in texts like Kumarajiva's Sutra on Sitting Meditation Samadhi, An Shigao's early commentaries and meditation guides, the Yogacahrabhumisastra, the Maitreya chapter of the Samdhinirmocana Sutra, etc. Arguably, this emphasis has never left Mahayana practice, just the terminology shifts over time. In Vietnamese, we specifically say Thien Dinh (dhyana-samadhi), and it's very unlikely to encounter any meditation text or teacher that will not use the term and explicitly state it as at least the preliminary goals of our practice.
Thanks! Thich Nhat Hahn refers to it as "going deeply into the present moment" - in fact his whole referencing of the present moment is a treatise on samadhi, but he prefers to use the ordinary English language equivalent terminology that doesn't lead to confusion over the technical Buddhist terms. Instead, it's easy to overlook the obvious and miss his meaning
javier.espinoza.t

Sentient Light wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2019 7:58 pm

Thank's!
catmoon
Former staff member

Post by catmoon »

Is beer a samadhi? I find it softens up my mind pretty well. Sometimes it gets positively mushy. :rolling:
Sergeant Schultz knew everything there was to know.
haha

Post by haha »

catmoon wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2019 11:52 pm Is beer a samadhi? I find it softens up my mind pretty well. Sometimes it gets positively mushy. :rolling:
One translation of Samadhi is that even (sama) and intellect (dhi). So, after drinking the beer, one’s intellect will become flat (i.e. even).

If one has fewer afflictions, it only affects the body; if one has heavy affliction, it alters the consciousness.

Somewhere I read that those, who drink the compass for benefits of all sentient beings, would not get drunk by drinking any liqueur.

Return to “Mahāyāna Buddhism”