Buddhism for the Deaf

General forum on the teachings of all schools of Mahayana and Vajrayana Buddhism. Topics specific to one school are best posted in the appropriate sub-forum.
Queequeg
Former staff member

Buddhism for the Deaf

Post by Queequeg »

In a recent thread, a forum member asked if there is a sign language alternative to the chant, Namu Myoho Renge Kyo. It was suggested that this question might be relevant more broadly in the Buddhist community.

According to some teachings, deafness is trait that presents an insurmountable obstacle to awakening in this life.

Personally, I'm sure I'm so far from awakening in this life, that hearing or deaf wouldn't make a whole lot of difference for me. Nonetheless, the teaching is out there and whenever I encounter teachings that exclude certain classes of people from awakening, on one hand I worry that it will discourage people, and on the other, I wonder if this is a provisional (upaya) or true teaching (ultimate Saddharma).

What are the obstacles to awakening presented by deafness? Are these really insurmountable?

Notwithstanding the obstacles, is it possible to effectively practice as a deaf person? What sort of practices and workarounds are possible for the deaf?

In the developed world, accessibility for the deaf and others with disabilities has been a prominent aspect of public and private architecture and landscape design, and various economic, social, financial, and employment accommodations are even mandated. Are Buddhist communities reflecting the same sort of effort toward accessibility for the deaf and the disabled in general?

Anjali posted this video in the other thread -

[/quote]

And this:
anjali wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 8:40 pm
Queequeg wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 8:02 pm If there isn't one, one should just be made. Something that can be repeated without causing carpal tunnel syndrome.

The ASL for nirvana is far out, man.
For what it's worth, there is a nice Tricycle article on the life of that deaf Zen priest, Oshin Liam Jennings, who is signing Nirvana: This Buddhist Life – Oshin Liam Jennings.

Also, in my searches on "dharma for the deaf" I came across this aggregating page: Resources for religious interpreting: Buddhism.

That signing for Nirvana is constructed from combining ASL signings for cycle and untie. Nice. I showed this signing to a friend yesterday, and we both just loved it. No words and captures the essence. How cool is that.

On another note. Maybe there could be a seperate thread on "Buddhadharma for the deaf" for folks to discuss and collect such resourses here on DW. It may be a really small community, but could be a nice way to reach out to a non-traditional Buddhist community. :shrug: I wonder if we have any deaf members here?
There is no suffering to be severed. Ignorance and klesas are indivisible from bodhi. There is no cause of suffering to be abandoned. Since extremes and the false are the Middle and genuine, there is no path to be practiced. Samsara is nirvana. No severance achieved. No suffering nor its cause. No path, no end. There is no transcendent realm; there is only the one true aspect. There is nothing separate from the true aspect.
-Guanding, Perfect and Sudden Contemplation,
mansurhirbi87

Re: Buddhism for the Deaf

Post by mansurhirbi87 »

cannot they "recite" mentally and visualize the gohonzon ??
jet.urgyen

Post by jet.urgyen »

cool!
true dharma is inexpressible.

The bodhisattva nourishes from bodhicitta, through whatever method the Buddha has given him. Oh joy.
WesleyP

Post by WesleyP »

Great! . . . :thumbsup:
tkp67

Post by tkp67 »

mansurhirbi87 wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2019 1:21 pm cannot they "recite" mentally and visualize the gohonzon ??
Yes the gohonzon can be translated to spoken word and all the words on it are derived from verifiable teachings and goshos.

In regards to the deaf being able to attain enlightenment at least one Bodhisattva sacrificed sense organs for enlightenment. The eyes iirc.

I believe confidence or doubt is the decider on this one in this age, but this is simply my opinion.

Return to “Mahāyāna Buddhism”