The Six Paramitas and the Eightfold Path

General forum on the teachings of all schools of Mahayana and Vajrayana Buddhism. Topics specific to one school are best posted in the appropriate sub-forum.
Dharma Flower

Re: The Six Paramitas and the Eightfold Path

Post by Dharma Flower »

Queen Elizabeth II wrote:
Dharma Flower wrote:Solitary Buddhas are extremely rare, if they exist at all.
Why do you think that? The Isigili Sutta says there were 500 of them living on just one mountain.

http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka ... .piya.html
Since a Buddha has perfect compassion, that compassion will lead to wanting to serve others. After being petitioned by Brahma to teach others with "little dust in their eyes," the Buddha was moved by compassion to teach others.
Dharma Flower

Post by Dharma Flower »

This is Master Sheng-Yen's commentary on the Six Paramitas:
http://chancenter.org/cmc/wp-content/up ... amitas.pdf

I am so thankful for the Six Paramitas, providing us a clear path to Buddhahood, and for guides like Shantideva’s The Way of the Bodhisattva, for helping us to apply the Six Paramitas to our day-to-day life.
Queen Elizabeth II

Post by Queen Elizabeth II »

Dharma Flower wrote:
Queen Elizabeth II wrote:
Dharma Flower wrote:Solitary Buddhas are extremely rare, if they exist at all.
Why do you think that? The Isigili Sutta says there were 500 of them living on just one mountain.

http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka ... .piya.html
Since a Buddha has perfect compassion, that compassion will lead to wanting to serve others. After being petitioned by Brahma to teach others with "little dust in their eyes," the Buddha was moved by compassion to teach others.
Your reply seems to be an equivocation. I asked you why you thought Pratyekabuddhas were "extremely rare, if they exist at all", but you reply by talking about Samyaksambuddhas. Pratyekabuddhas are not claimed to have perfect compassion, but only compassion of a level adequate for pratyekabodhi. And by definition a Pratyekabuddha doesn't set the Wheel of Dharma in motion.
Dharma Flower

Post by Dharma Flower »

Queen Elizabeth II wrote: Your reply seems to be an equivocation. I asked you why you thought Pratyekabuddhas were "extremely rare, if they exist at all", but you reply by talking about Samyaksambuddhas. Pratyekabuddhas are not claimed to have perfect compassion, but only compassion of a level adequate for pratyekabodhi. And by definition a Pratyekabuddha doesn't set the Wheel of Dharma in motion.
I'm sorry. I'm all out of answers related to solitary Buddhas. In reality, they don't exist, because anyone who attains Buddhahood will be moved by compassion to teach others. The Lotus Sutra teaches that there is only one Buddha vehicle, not three.

Return to “Mahāyāna Buddhism”