Meditation on Vedana (feeling)

General forum on the teachings of all schools of Mahayana and Vajrayana Buddhism. Topics specific to one school are best posted in the appropriate sub-forum.
cjdevries

Meditation on Vedana (feeling)

Post by cjdevries »

I read Ven. Analayo's article on Vedana (feeling) meditation: https://www.buddhistinquiry.org/article ... he-source/. I have been mainly using a breath (shamata) meditation technique, but I have been adding some vipassana based on Bhante G.'s technique of just observing sensations and being aware of them vs. noting them with words (he feels that just observing a feeling or a sensation is enough, it doesn't need to be reified into a concept with words). He discusses his technique in his book Four Foundation of Mindfulness in Plain English. Basically, I have just been observing different feelings throughout the day and watching them arise and pass. I feel like I could go deeper with this technique. Is there any further study you might recommend or any ideas that might further my understanding and insight? Thanks.
"Please call me by my true names so I can wake up; so the door of my heart can be left open: the door of compassion." -Thich Nhat Hanh

"Ask: what's needed of you" -Akong Rinpoche

"Love never claims, it ever gives. Love ever suffers, never resents, never revenges itself." -Gandhi
LastLegend

Re: Meditation on Vedana (feeling)

Post by LastLegend »

That’s right...want to go where language can’t touch...well I mean that’s where we build samadhi at awareness.

Thoughts and (intention more so intention) are more active with language...not so much with feelings and body, he is right to start with feelings.
It’s eye blinking.

Return to “Mahāyāna Buddhism”