Is the Mahayana or vajrayana canon closed?

General forum on the teachings of all schools of Mahayana and Vajrayana Buddhism. Topics specific to one school are best posted in the appropriate sub-forum.
Dgj

Is the Mahayana or vajrayana canon closed?

Post by Dgj »

Can anyone offer information?

Are any of the canons closed? For example the Chinese Tripitiaka; is it a closed canon?

References would be greatly appreciated.
Don't assume my words are correct. Do your research.
Malcolm

Re: Is the Mahayana or vajrayana canon closed?

Post by Malcolm »

Dgj wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 9:28 pm Can anyone offer information?

Are any of the canons closed? For example the Chinese Tripitiaka; is it a closed canon?

Yes, in one sense. The canon of translated texts is closed.
"Nonduality is merely a name;
that name does not exist."
—Kotalipa
Astus
Former staff member

Post by Astus »

Dgj wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 9:28 pmFor example the Chinese Tripitiaka; is it a closed canon?
There are several Chinese canons, for example: Taisho 大正藏 and the supplement Xuzangjing (Zokuzokyo) 卍續藏 that are modern, 20th century editions, and older ones, like the Zhaocheng Jin 趙城金藏 (12th century), Qianlong 乾隆藏 (18th century), Northern and Southern Yongle 永樂 (15th century), the Tripitaka Koreana, and so on.
1 Myriad dharmas are only mind.
Mind is unobtainable.
What is there to seek?

2 If the Buddha-Nature is seen,
there will be no seeing of a nature in any thing.

3 Neither cultivation nor seated meditation —
this is the pure Chan of Tathagata.

4 With sudden enlightenment to Tathagata Chan,
the six paramitas and myriad means
are complete within that essence.

1 Huangbo, T2012Ap381c1 2 Nirvana Sutra, T374p521b3; tr. Yamamoto 3 Mazu, X1321p3b23; tr. J. Jia 4 Yongjia, T2014p395c14; tr. from "The Sword of Wisdom"
Varis

Post by Varis »

Depends on what you mean. The Taisho is a set of texts, and that set of texts isn't going to change. Add a bunch of new Tibetan texts, for example, and it wouldn't be the Taisho anymore.

If what you're asking is if there will be new sutras/tantra in Mahayana and Vajrayana in the future, the answer is yes. In fact, there already are new vajrayana teachings being received all the time in Tibetan Buddhism. As for Mahayana sutras, we know there will be new ones because Maitreya Buddha will arrive in the future and teach the dharma and therefore we can assume there will be new sutras.
Astus
Former staff member

Post by Astus »

Varis wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 6:29 amAs for Mahayana sutras, we know there will be new ones because Maitreya Buddha will arrive in the future and teach the dharma and therefore we can assume there will be new sutras.
There are also old sutras and other texts discovered, as in the case of the Dunhuang manuscripts, for which here's a list of concordances with the Taisho Canon.

Also about the Taisho Canon, one of its editors noted (The Essentials of Buddhist Philosophy by Junjiro Takakusu, 1st Indian Edition, 1956, p 2):
'In Japan, the Tripitaka Literature has been published at least four times, each edition adding new volumes. Recently it became my responsibility to complete its latest publication, which contains the Chinese and Korean compilations as well as texts newly discovered in Central Asia and Japan—a work of thirteen years—comprising 13,520 chüans or parts in 100 bound volumes of about 1,000 pages each.'
Mind is unobtainable.
What is there to seek?

1 Huangbo, T2012Ap381c1 2 Nirvana Sutra, T374p521b3; tr. Yamamoto 3 Mazu, X1321p3b23; tr. J. Jia 4 Yongjia, T2014p395c14; tr. from "The Sword of Wisdom"
Dgj

Post by Dgj »

Astus wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 11:39 pm
Dgj wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 9:28 pmFor example the Chinese Tripitiaka; is it a closed canon?
There are several Chinese canons, for example: Taisho 大正藏 and the supplement Xuzangjing (Zokuzokyo) 卍續藏 that are modern, 20th century editions, and older ones, like the Zhaocheng Jin 趙城金藏 (12th century), Qianlong 乾隆藏 (18th century), Northern and Southern Yongle 永樂 (15th century), the Tripitaka Koreana, and so on.
Are these individual canons closed?
Dgj

Post by Dgj »

Malcolm wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 9:30 pm

Could you provide a source for this statement please? I don't disagree, but need a source lol
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

Dgj wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 8:44 pm
Malcolm wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 9:30 pm

Could you provide a source for this statement please? I don't disagree, but need a source lol
The Tibetan Buddhist canon was closed when the Bka' 'gyur and bstan 'gyur were compiled in the 14th century. There are a large number of apocrypha in the so called Nyingma canon, whose provenance was not considered sufficiently vetted to be included. You need a book reference? Well, this is rather well commonly known. But you can look up bka' 'gyur and bstan 'gyur in Buswell and Lopez's Buddhist dictionary.
"Nonduality is merely a name;
that name does not exist."
—Kotalipa
Astus
Former staff member

Post by Astus »

Dgj wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 8:42 pmAre these individual canons closed?
Basically, yes. Their titles often designate the imperial era of publication (e.g. Yongle, Qianlong, Taisho), so to modify them would mean a new version published at a different time.
Mind is unobtainable.
What is there to seek?

Hazel

Post by Hazel »

What happens when a text is discovered in a cave somewhere? Has this happened for novel texts (i.e. not just a new version of an existing one)?

I'm thinking something like the Nag Hammadi Library (i.e. early Christian gospels found hidden away centuries ago for safe keeping). I know those aren't accepted by any major Christian church (that I know of), but I'm wondering if Buddhists would be more open minded on canon if it had the potential to be authentic.
humble.student

Post by humble.student »

Hazel wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 6:36 pm What happens when a text is discovered in a cave somewhere? Has this happened for novel texts (i.e. not just a new version of an existing one)?

I'm thinking something like the Nag Hammadi Library (i.e. early Christian gospels found hidden away centuries ago for safe keeping). I know those aren't accepted by any major Christian church (that I know of), but I'm wondering if Buddhists would be more open minded on canon if it had the potential to be authentic.
This happened, notably with the Dunhuang manuscripts. Supplements are usually published, or at least, have been historically in China and Japan, for instance. Even today, the process is ongoing, but typically in the digital realm.

Return to “Mahāyāna Buddhism”