Children Covid Vaccinations

Casual conversation between friends. Anything goes (almost).
Malcolm

Re: Children Covid Vaccinations

Post by Malcolm »

Archie2009 wrote: Mon Nov 01, 2021 10:28 pm Would this heal?
Since this was a year out from his initial infection, one suspects the damage is permanent.
Johnny Dangerous
Global Moderator

Post by Johnny Dangerous »

Malcolm wrote: Mon Nov 01, 2021 10:13 pm
Johnny Dangerous wrote: Mon Nov 01, 2021 10:10 pm I’m confused as to what lung damage which shows up on imaging but has no symptoms would be, but other than that I don’t find it too surprising I guess.
Small lesions all over the man's lungs, consistent with covid infection, like his lungs had been shot with birdshot.
That’s clinically interesting, but clearly they weren’t affecting his breathing or lung function in a noticeable way -I assume, so I’m confused as to what the significance of them is thought to be in the long term.
Meditate upon Bodhicitta when afflicted by disease

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when sad

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when suffering occurs

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when you are scared

-Khunu Lama
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

Johnny Dangerous wrote: Tue Nov 02, 2021 2:35 am
Johnny Dangerous wrote: Mon Nov 01, 2021 10:10 pm I’m confused as to what lung damage which shows up on imaging but has no symptoms would be, but other than that I don’t find it too surprising I guess.
Small lesions all over the man's lungs, consistent with covid infection, like his lungs had been shot with birdshot.
That’s clinically interesting, but clearly they weren’t affecting his breathing or lung function in a noticeable way -I assume, so I’m confused as to what the significance of them is thought to be in the long term.
Damage is damage. We don’t know the long term affects of this. For example, whether this kind of damage makes one more susceptible to pneumonia, etc.

Moreover, covid affects the pancreas, kidneys, etc., and some scientists speculate we are looking at a rash of early diabetes, chronic kidney disease, etc. As I said, to quote Rumsfeld, there are a lot of known unknowns with covid.
Nemo

Post by Nemo »

It's called homeostasis. It is most often a factor in trauma. The body tries it's best to keep the balance and hide the damage. Most dangerous in children. A child can looses a huge amount of blood internally and still have relatively normal vitals. 120 seconds later they could be dead.
Johnny Dangerous
Global Moderator

Nemo wrote: Tue Nov 02, 2021 3:11 pm
It's called homeostasis. It is most often a factor in trauma. The body tries it's best to keep the balance and hide the damage. Most dangerous in children. A child can looses a huge amount of blood internally and still have relatively normal vitals. 120 seconds later they could be dead.

What? Random scarring images on someone’s lungs have nothing to do with the concept of homeostasis in the body, any more than any other sign or symptom. Malcolms example is from an adult anyway.

As to it’s significance, indeed, we don’t know the long term effect. It could range from ‘really bad’ to ‘nothing’. People have physically anomalous stuff literally all the time on imaging that has little effect on anything. ‘Damage’ usually indicates impaired function, but apparently there’s no impaired lung function with this, at least not yet.

This is exactly why it’s important to take an evidence based approach to this stuff.

Unknowns are unknowns, not ‘stuff that’s uniformly really bad and really dangerous’ until you have actual evidence of that.

-Khunu Lama
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

Johnny Dangerous wrote: Tue Nov 02, 2021 3:32 pm This is exactly why it’s important to take an evidence based approach to this stuff.
Yes, and I as I pointed out, the evidence is not in yet. But from what evidence we have, it is looking worse and worse.
Johnny Dangerous
Global Moderator

Malcolm wrote: Tue Nov 02, 2021 4:27 pm
Johnny Dangerous wrote: Tue Nov 02, 2021 3:32 pm This is exactly why it’s important to take an evidence based approach to this stuff.
Yes, and I as I pointed out, the evidence is not in yet. But from what evidence we have, it is looking worse and worse.
That is different from what I have heard from medical people I know. At least I would say that level of alarm is one end of the spectrum.

Certainly you don’t want to get it, but firstly it is a novel virus, which presents all kinds of issues, secondly it doesn’t seem all that unique in some of the complications it causes. The degree to which people suffer cardiopulmonary issues is sure huge though, and that part is scary of and within itself.

https://www.cdc.gov/flu/symptoms/symptoms.htm

Influenza causes all kinds of problems too. I myself had a case of what got diagnosed as Tranverse Myelitis following a flu infection. I could barely move my left arm for months.

Similarly, I know that there is a school of thought that many children who end up with type I diabetes get it following flu infection.

Not saying there is no cause for alarm, there will surely be a chunk of people with long term effects from COVID, I mesn there already is to a degree. However I have yet to see much evidence or even serious data-driven claims that COVID causes chronic systemic issues in large numbers of people -beyond what is already known-, but time will tell here.

-Khunu Lama
Nemo

Post by Nemo »

Johnny Dangerous wrote: Tue Nov 02, 2021 3:32 pm
Nemo wrote: Tue Nov 02, 2021 3:11 pm

What? Random scarring images on someone’s lungs have nothing to do with the concept of homeostasis in the body, any more than any other sign or symptom. Malcolms example is from an adult anyway.

As to it’s significance, indeed, we don’t know the long term effect. It could range from ‘really bad’ to ‘nothing’. People have physically anomalous stuff literally all the time on imaging that has little effect on anything. ‘Damage’ usually indicates impaired function, but apparently there’s no impaired lung function with this, at least not yet.

This is exactly why it’s important to take an evidence based approach to this stuff.

Unknowns are unknowns, not ‘stuff that’s uniformly really bad and really dangerous’ until you have actual evidence of that.
Just because you seem fine doesn't mean you are fine. The question is how many resources are being used to maintain stable conditions. That question often takes years to answer. For example football players and boxers. A certain amount of caution would be wise.

There seems to be sufficient anecdotal evidence of neurological infection separate from hypoxia. But hypoxia will kill your brain just as well and your lungs resuming function will do almost nothing to reverse it. So it's a moot point. Personally I think brains are an important organ to preserve but you do you.
Johnny Dangerous
Global Moderator

Nemo wrote: Wed Nov 03, 2021 1:13 am

Just because you seem fine doesn't mean you are fine. The question is how many resources are being used to maintain stable conditions. That question often takes years to answer. For example football players and boxers. A certain amount of caution would be wise.
Sure, but it's debatable what "a certain amount of caution" means here. It can get to a point where people are chasing phantom problems, especially when it's non-professionals trying to piece together anecdotal evidence without input of professionals....
There seems to be sufficient anecdotal evidence of neurological infection separate from hypoxia. But hypoxia will kill your brain just as well and your lungs resuming function will do almost nothing to reverse it. So it's a moot point. Personally I think brains are an important organ to preserve but you do you.
Is there a point to any of this? All I'm asking is for claims of widespread long term damage that are speculating about to be backed up by something. Being that you are not an MD, etc. or (AFAIK) or involved in Covid research, it's a reasonable ask. I am not a medical guy but I know how to read studies...studies, not random blog posts. I am not a Covid denier and have family that are dead from it, I know it's serious. I also am not comfortable with basically making shit up based on things you overhear or read (or something similar) and making Covid any scarier than it already is without evidence.

What exactly is "sufficient anecdotal evidence" of this, and where do I find it? What's the prevalence? Diseases cause all kinds of crazy shit when you get granular enough because systems are...systemic.

Further, do you have kids? Is this a risk benefit analysis you even have to make personally? If not, don't start with you "you do you" nonsense, I am just asking for data of definitive claims being made.

-Khunu Lama
PeterC

Post by PeterC »

I'll try to find the research but there's been a number of imaging studies of cases one year post recovery finding persistent damage even for asymptomatic cases. I don't think any did imaging of the brain. I can understand why they wouldn't, nobody really likes to expose their brains to extra doses of radiation unless clinically necessary.

Purely anecdotally - I'm pretty convinced that symptomatic cases can lead to persistent neurological deficits. I've now seen it in enough people.
Johnny Dangerous
Global Moderator

PeterC wrote: Wed Nov 03, 2021 4:05 am

I'll try to find the research but there's been a number of imaging studies of cases one year post recovery finding persistent damage even for asymptomatic cases. I don't think any did imaging of the brain. I can understand why they wouldn't, nobody really likes to expose their brains to extra doses of radiation unless clinically necessary.

I certainly believe this is a thing, but we kind of have to know what is meant by ‘damage’ in terms of symptoms caused. I don’t know how close you are to the medical world, but trying to draw conclusions purely from imaging has something of a bad reputation, and for good reason.

Let me know if you find something.
Purely anecdotally - I'm pretty convinced that symptomatic cases can lead to persistent neurological deficits. I've now seen it in enough people.
Yeah, but so can lots of stuff, for lots of reasons. Without a proposed mechanism or some rate of prevalence there’s not that much to say, and all I’ve seen so far is anecdotal. I mean UTIs can give people dementia if untreated.

Before my aunt died of COVID she got dementia, but she’d had severe pneumonia just prior to catching it and I think just given the trauma, meds and hypoxia from pulmonary function being so messed up.

-Khunu Lama
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

I am personally convinced that covid infection is contributing to rage disorders as a result of neurological damage.
Nemo

Post by Nemo »

Does the flu generally make you deaf?
https://www.nature.com/articles/s43856-021-00044-w

But it gets more complex."SARS-CoV-2 attacks the respiratory and olfactory mucosae but spares the olfactory bulb" so it's not jumping over from there.
https://www.cell.com/cell/fulltext/S009 ... edArticles

But a viral reservoir is found in the choroid plexus.
https://nn.neurology.org/content/8/2/e957
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK538156/

This is getting closer to a mechanism of action probably related to ACE2 expression and separate from hypoxia.

And yes, I did get my kid vaccinated. It was actually her choice. She wanted to keep me safe and spend more time with her friends who were all vaccinated..
https://www.nytimes.com/2021/11/01/heal ... ldren.html

My qualification are going the the military nuclear, chemical and biological weapons training school and then decommissioning chemical weapons and dual use bio labs that held weaponized pathogens. I was a medic trained to be a first responder for viral weapon attacks(expendable). I keep in touch with the contacts I made back then and the field work opens doors when I want to talk shop. I have forgotten most of what I learned in my retirement. I never thought it would ever be of any use again in my lifetime.
Johnny Dangerous
Global Moderator

Flu leads to all kinds of illnesses, as I’m sure you know with all your qualifications.

Anyway for the record my daughter is already vaccinated and my son likely will be soon, the getting to play without worry thing is a big reason.

I’m tired of talking now, I’ll look at the links.

-Khunu Lama
Virgo

Post by Virgo »

Malcolm wrote: Wed Nov 03, 2021 12:55 pm
I am personally convinced that covid infection is contributing to rage disorders as a result of neurological damage.
Can you guys explain a little bit about this?

(By the way, for the next few days starting tomorrow I am going to be online for a limited amount of time, so I may not be able to respond to messages for a while).

Virgo
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

Covid Has Killed 5 Million People, But Only Hundreds Have Been Autopsied
To get a clearer picture of the virus’s aftermath, pathologists are pushing to resurrect a dying practice.
Read in Bloomberg Businessweek: https://apple.news/AbB7HWVhSQUaA3IRTNuxl6Q

To get a clearer picture of the virus’s aftermath, pathologists are pushing to resurrect a dying practice.
By Jason Gale

In an air-locked chamber in the world’s largest research hospital, Daniel Chertow and a half-dozen doctors and scientists clad in astronaut-inspired protective gear are carrying out a microscopic search inside a 26-year-old man.

The patient went to the hospital with chest pain in spring 2020. He didn’t have typical Covid-19 symptoms, but Chertow wants to study him as part of a broader mission to understand where in the body the coronavirus goes and what it does in each of those places. If you’re a Covid case in Chertow’s emerging pathogens lab, you’re not there for treatment; you’re the subject of an autopsy.

The man died at the hospital and tested negative for SARS-CoV-2, so he doesn’t fit the definition of a Covid-related fatality. He succumbed to viral myocarditis, or inflammation of the heart muscle. Chertow’s sleuthing points to the coronavirus as the culprit and offers clues about a rare inflammatory condition that occurs mostly in children after a mild case of Covid. 

“They show up later with sometimes life-threatening inflammation in different organs,” Chertow says over Zoom from his office at the National Institutes of Health’s Clinical Center in Bethesda, Md. “In a way, he fits into that category, so what’s driving that?”

An autopsy provides a snapshot of what’s occurred at the moment a patient has died, enabling pathologists to infer what happened up to that point. By comparing a large number of autopsies on Covid patients at different time courses, scientists can begin to assemble something akin to a record of the virus’s journey through the body and the disease that arose in its wake. 

Autopsies were a cornerstone of medical discoveries for more than two millennia, but sophisticated diagnostic tools and health-system budget cuts have made them a dying practice. Among the first 4 million fatal Covid cases worldwide, only several hundred autopsy findings were reported in international medical journals. 

Several scientists are pushing to raise those numbers. “It’s critically important that thousands of autopsies are done, so we can put this picture together,” says Jeffery Taubenberger, a pathologist who heads the viral pathogenesis and evolution section of the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases in Bethesda. “What we’re trying to figure out here is, what goes wrong under the worst circumstances where people die—to try to understand how the virus causes disease in less severe cases. And then: What are the therapeutic implications of that?”

The National Institutes of Health is spending $1.15 billion over four years to learn about the aftereffects of Covid-19, including a push to conduct more autopsies. Answers are urgently needed. At least 1 in 10 survivors of the disease experience what the World Health Organization calls “post Covid-19 condition”—a constellation of symptoms that can debilitate sufferers for months. 

“The post-Covid stuff is very, very real,” says Chertow, a 47-year-old critical care physician. “If you’re going to begin to conceive of ways to prevent or treat those manifestations, you need to understand what’s driving it.”

Authorities were concerned in the panic-stricken early months of the pandemic that dissecting coronavirus-infected patients could spread the infection, resulting in at least half of the autopsy units in the U.S. being shut down, according to L. Maximilian Buja, a professor of pathology and laboratory medicine at the University of Texas’s McGovern Medical School in Houston.
Buja, who finished his pathology training in 1972, co-led a call to action for detailed autopsies on Covid victims in April 2020 and kept his own academic center’s autopsy suites open. That enabled him to report findings from one of the earliest autopsy case series that showed the propensity for the coronavirus to cause tiny clots to form in patients’ blood. 

“I take some credit, or partial credit, for getting across the idea that clinically, we need to institute early anticoagulation therapy,” he says. “We have glimmers of knowledge that have contributed to improved treatment for the patients, but there’s a lot more we have to learn. The key to this is to continue to do the autopsy investigations.”

Hamburg forensic pathologist Klaus Puschel defied Germany’s official recommendation to avoid autopsies, permitting 80 comprehensive post-mortem exams on fatal cases in March and April 2020. The findings showed SARS-CoV-2 can spread beyond the respiratory tract to affect the heart, kidney, liver, and brain. 

A study Puschel co-authored that was published in October based on 17 autopsies showed the infection was associated with an increased number of defective capillaries in the brain that may explain the cognitive impairment, memory deficits, and fatigue experienced by at least a subset of long Covid patients. The authors also found that an experimental drug known as a RIPK1 inhibitor could potentially avert the damage if given to Covid patients during the acute phase of the illness.
Researchers in Norway showed in July that individuals who tested positive for the coronavirus eight months earlier were almost five times more likely than uninfected people to report memory problems. The NIH’s Chertow says he’s concerned about what such health effects may lead to in the future. 
“Is there going to be some subclinical effects on your brain that are going to cause neurocognitive issues later in life that perhaps are not immediately noticeable or detectable?” he says. “If you’re going to begin to conceive of ways to prevent or treat those manifestations—either in the next group that might be exposed or among the group that are suffering—you need to understand what the drivers are.”

Chertow, who also trained as a disease detective with the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention’s epidemic intelligence service, says he was inspired to pursue autopsy research from studying Ebola and treating patients with the deadly disease in Liberia in 2014. “It started with this idea that first [we’ve] got to go find where this virus is going—what it’s doing in those places—and then we’ve got to try to link it back to what we’re seeing clinically.”

Chertow helped identify the role of the salivary glands in SARS-CoV-2 transmission. He sees more valuable clues about the virus’s distribution across the body among the more than 10,000 biospecimens his team has collected from 44 fatal cases since April 2020. The post-mortem exams and dissections take three hours in a secure facility that’s required for work involving microbes that can cause serious and potentially lethal disease. Bioengineers on the NIH campus custom-built an enclosure that fits over the head and shoulders of the deceased to contain aerosols when the top of the skull is removed.
The seven or so doctors, scientists, and technicians working inside the autopsy suite wear multiple layers of personal protective equipment, says David Kleiner, chief of the post-mortem section of the National Cancer Institute, who worked with Chertow on the research. Usually a plastic apron is worn over a surgical gown, over an impermeable coverall, over surgical scrubs. Sometimes arm-sleeve protectors are worn. Investigators also don three pairs of gloves and two pairs of shoe coverings. And instead of N95 face masks, they breathe through controlled air-purifying respirators, which provide HEPA-filtered air under a hood that fits over their head and shoulders.

It’s cumbersome, but that’s not the only aspect of these Covid autopsies that makes the work painstaking. “We’re sampling way above and beyond what is done in any sort of typical autopsy,” Chertow says. Samples are taken from almost 100 different regions of the body and brain. 
And for each one of those areas, adjacent pieces of tissue are also collected and preserved in different ways that are amenable to different methods of analysis, including whether the virus is capable of replicating in the sites from which it’s collected. “We’ve done, simply put, a much more extensive sampling than others have,” he says.

That partly reflects the diminishing capability to perform autopsies outside of academic and medical examiner settings.

“Autopsies are expensive procedures,” says Linda Isles, head of forensic pathology services at the Victorian Institute of Forensic Medicine in Melbourne. “In reality, not many people want to spend money on dead people.” Private autopsy fees vary widely, but typically cost $2,000 to $4,000 in Maryland.

Doctors are ordering fewer autopsies, relying instead on lower-cost X-rays, MRI scans, and other tests to ascribe the cause of a patient’s death. This means pathologists have less experience performing post-mortem exams. In addition, autopsy facilities are expensive to maintain at a safe standard, Isles says. 

“So it’s this spiral of decreased experience—and therefore decreasing confidence—and then underutilization of the facilities leading to some of the facilities essentially being mothballed,” she says. “And then when you want to reinstitute them, they’re no longer really safe for modern practice.”
Isles, who finished medical school at the University of Tasmania more than 20 years ago, performed 200 to 300 autopsies during her pathology training. “That might not seem like very many,” she says, “but if you compare that to anatomical pathology trainees now, then that is a very large amount.”
In 1918, doctors performed thousands of autopsies on victims of the Spanish flu and shared their findings widely in illustrated reports, says Taubenberger at the National Institute for Allergy and Infectious Diseases. “It’s terrible that here we are with our ability to do advanced molecular studies and advanced imaging studies, and yet so few autopsy studies are being done,” he says. “That’s really the tragedy.”
Johnny Dangerous
Global Moderator

Good article on overall COVID policy, and some stuff to consider wrt to vaccinating different populations, namely tagging while vaccinating kids has it’s own rationale, it won’t compensate for unvaccinated adults.

This is especially true if the goal is fewer hospitalizations to free up the healthcare system, because a huge chunk of the hospitalizations are elderly folks.

Not an argument against vaccinating them mind you, but as the article points out hospitalization rates are directly correlated with the number of elderly vaccinated in a community.

At any rate, a short and decent article on the fact that the US needs Covid policies with an actual purpose, rather than the random shitshow we have.

https://www.theatlantic.com/health/arch ... ket-newtab

-Khunu Lama
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

Johnny Dangerous wrote: Fri Nov 05, 2021 4:24 pm Good article on overall COVID policy, and some stuff to consider wrt to vaccinating different populations, namely tagging while vaccinating kids has it’s own rationale, it won’t compensate for unvaccinated adults.

This is especially true if the goal is fewer hospitalizations to free up the healthcare system, because a huge chunk of the hospitalizations are elderly folks.

Not an argument against vaccinating them mind you, but as the article points out hospitalization rates are directly correlated with the number of elderly vaccinated in a community.

At any rate, a short and decent article on the fact that the US needs Covid policies with an actual purpose, rather than the random shitshow we have.

This is the real point of the article I posted, with respect to this thread:
Chertow’s sleuthing points to the coronavirus as the culprit and offers clues about a rare inflammatory condition that occurs mostly in children after a mild case of Covid. 

“They show up later with sometimes life-threatening inflammation in different organs,” Chertow says over Zoom from his office at the National Institutes of Health’s Clinical Center in Bethesda, Md. “In a way, he fits into that category, so what’s driving that?”
Johnny Dangerous
Global Moderator

Malcolm wrote: Fri Nov 05, 2021 4:35 pm
Johnny Dangerous wrote: Fri Nov 05, 2021 4:24 pm Good article on overall COVID policy, and some stuff to consider wrt to vaccinating different populations, namely tagging while vaccinating kids has it’s own rationale, it won’t compensate for unvaccinated adults.

This is the real point of the article I posted, with respect to this thread:
Chertow’s sleuthing points to the coronavirus as the culprit and offers clues about a rare inflammatory condition that occurs mostly in children after a mild case of Covid. 

There is very little in the article about prevalence, which is why I didn’t have anything to say. The quoted bit is about MISC which is a terrible, but fairly rare condition children can get with Covid. I’m aware of it, and know of studies on MISC prevalence if you want me to hunt them down. His sample size is 44 people and it’s not a study, anyway.

It’s interesting, but really doesn’t address what we’ve been talking about in anything but a general way, from my perspective.

I wasn’t posting my article in response to yours.

-Khunu Lama
Nemo

Post by Nemo »

The level of mutation in Omicron is shocking. Either months in an immunocompromised patient or some some ding dong was doing serial passage again like they did in Italy. I hope this isn't a game changer but it could be. Damn is it ever airborne. N95 is the minimum. Cloth masks are a joke. I hope vaccines are still protective. The truth is we are really all in this together.

Vaccine imperialism as my Viet friends call it is biting us in the butt. The Asian countries with the Covid Zero strategy are going to have a huge economic win if things get bad again. China bet the farm on virulent variants. We bet on a vaccine.

Probably best to enjoy our normal time in case things get messy again.

Return to “Lounge”