Australian and NZ lockdowns

Casual conversation between friends. Anything goes (almost).
Punya

Australian and NZ lockdowns

Post by Punya »

Greetings to all of you in NZ and the land of Oz (or Scotty from Marketing's paradise). How are you all doing? What have you found out about yourself through all of this and/or what are you doing to keep yourself sane?
We abide nowhere. We possess nothing.
~Chatral Rinpoche
ddorje

Re: Australian and NZ lockdowns

Post by ddorje »

Punya wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 8:58 am Greetings to all of you in NZ and the land of Oz (or Scotty from Marketing's paradise). How are you all doing? What have you found out about yourself through all of this and/or what are you doing to keep yourself sane?
Hi! Structured Ngondro (especially during last years lockdown), reading Mipham's Beacon, tuning in to the DJKR teachings, drinking copious amounts of tea, attempting to improve my written translation, trying new recipes, organizing group practices, doing what I can to stay off social media and getting better at dosing my stimulants.

How about you?
'Maybe you collect a lot of important writings, major texts, personal instructions private notes, whatever. If you haven't practiced, books won't help you when you die. Look at the mind - that's my sincere advice' - Longchen Rabjam
mikenz66

Post by mikenz66 »

Luckily I'm not in Auckland, so we were only in hard lockdown for a few weeks recently (and we were all in hard lockdown for a month in April 2020, with lower levels for a month or so, then we were pretty much covid free). Auckland is in the process of coming out after 5 weeks at our "Level 4".
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Timeline_ ... ert_levels

I'm pleased that we've managed to avoid the lockdown fatigue that seems to have led to a lot of anger in Australia. Their lockdowns there have not been as strict, and not so quick, but much longer.

It's unfortunate that the delta variant got here before we really had the vaccination ramped up, but the recent outbreak has really encouraged vaccination.

Mike
Kim O'Hara
Former staff member

Post by Kim O'Hara »

mikenz66 wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 8:04 am Luckily I'm not in Auckland, so we were only in hard lockdown for a few weeks recently (and we were all in hard lockdown for a month in April 2020, with lower levels for a month or so, then we were pretty much covid free). Auckland is in the process of coming out after 5 weeks at our "Level 4".

I'm pleased that we've managed to avoid the lockdown fatigue that seems to have led to a lot of anger in Australia. Their lockdowns there have not been as strict, and not so quick, but much longer.

It's unfortunate that the delta variant got here before we really had the vaccination ramped up, but the recent outbreak has really encouraged vaccination.

Mike
My situation is very like Mike's, just because I'm in a regional/remote area of a very big state.
We had a longish lockdown early last year, then a very short one a few months ago. Life is now almost entirely normal except that we check in with an app whenever we go to the shops or movies or whatever, and of course we can't travel as freely as we would like. That said, I'm in the early stages of planning a camping holiday to the really remote north of the state, where there are more crocodiles than people. :smile:

But we do feel sorry for the people in the big cites down south. All of us have friends and relations down there and we know they are struggling.
And we are incredibly grateful to our state government which acted so decisively to keep us Covid-free. That has been a bit of a theme at the ballot box, actually, with state governments who have done a good job being rewarded for it. I think it has just happened in Canada, too, but that's such new news I'm not sure.

:namaste:
Kim
Punya

Post by Punya »

mikenz66 wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 8:04 am Luckily I'm not in Auckland, so we were only in hard lockdown for a few weeks recently (and we were all in hard lockdown for a month in April 2020, with lower levels for a month or so, then we were pretty much covid free). Auckland is in the process of coming out after 5 weeks at our "Level 4".

Mike
It seems like NZ's lockdown was more strict last year with more business closure (which actually had flow on supply effects here). The two main cities in Oz have approached the delta lockdowns quite differently. Sydney had a much slower lockdown response, while Melbourne's lockdown was meant to short and sharp, but not really succeeding as intended. One of our 'star' epidemiologists has described Sydney's current progressive relaxing of the rules as 'cavalier'. Only time will tell as to the consequences.

Yes, there is some (understandable) anger, but a lot of these populations also seem be accepting and, as Kim says, generally supportive. But wearily so. As reported, the latest protests in Melbourne involve some building unionists, but also anti-vaxxers and 'professional' agitators.
~Chatral Rinpoche
Punya

Post by Punya »

ddorje wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 3:55 am
How about you?
Well, my Tibetan language studies finally progressed past beginner. Although I'm sure most people are faster learners, it has shown me that putting the time in does make a big difference. I'm also reinvigorating my practice with a new dharma study program.

Other than that it seems to be matter of structuring the day and keeping busy. Unfortunately the fitness levels of myself and other family members have dropped. I'm not a big fan of walking with a mask and I'm very much looking forward to getting back to the swimming pool. :twothumbsup:
~Chatral Rinpoche
Kim O'Hara
Former staff member

Post by Kim O'Hara »

Punya wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 2:36 am ... As reported, the latest protests in Melbourne involve some building unionists, but also anti-vaxxers and 'professional' agitators.
There's a lot more on that here - https://theconversation.com/its-almost- ... vid-168383 - in an article which I could also post to the "Facebook is evil" thread.
... Far right nationalists, anti-vaxxers, libertarians and conspiracy theorists have come together over COVID, and capitalised on the anger and uncertainty simmering in some sections of the community.

They appear to have found fertile ground particularly among men who feel alienated, fearful about their employment and who spend a lot of time at home scrolling social media and encrypted messaging apps. ...

It was at first limited to the conspiracy theorist and anti-vaxxer crowd. Some were just upset by lockdowns but most of the planning conversation online was being led by anti-vaxxers and QAnon activists.

These movements thrive on anxiety, anger, a sense of alienation, a distrust in government and institutions. It’s really no coincidence this is occurring most vigorously in Melbourne given what this city has been through with lockdowns.

It has really built momentum over the last year and, more recently, been infiltrated by far right groups. ...

Victoria police earlier this year warned a parliamentary inquiry into extremism that:

online commentary on COVID-19 has provided a recruiting tool for right-wing extremist groups, linking those interested in alternative wellness, anti-vaccination and anti-authority conspiracy theories with white supremacist ideologies.

The far right has really sought to mobilise frustrated people and push them more toward right-wing narratives, particularly white nationalist narratives. ...
It's all very ugly, whichever way you look at it.

Kim
Dan74
Former staff member

Post by Dan74 »

Kim O'Hara wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 3:05 am
Punya wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 2:36 am ... As reported, the latest protests in Melbourne involve some building unionists, but also anti-vaxxers and 'professional' agitators.
There's a lot more on that here - https://theconversation.com/its-almost- ... vid-168383 - in an article which I could also post to the "Facebook is evil" thread.
... Far right nationalists, anti-vaxxers, libertarians and conspiracy theorists have come together over COVID, and capitalised on the anger and uncertainty simmering in some sections of the community.

They appear to have found fertile ground particularly among men who feel alienated, fearful about their employment and who spend a lot of time at home scrolling social media and encrypted messaging apps. ...

It was at first limited to the conspiracy theorist and anti-vaxxer crowd. Some were just upset by lockdowns but most of the planning conversation online was being led by anti-vaxxers and QAnon activists.

These movements thrive on anxiety, anger, a sense of alienation, a distrust in government and institutions. It’s really no coincidence this is occurring most vigorously in Melbourne given what this city has been through with lockdowns.

It has really built momentum over the last year and, more recently, been infiltrated by far right groups. ...

Victoria police earlier this year warned a parliamentary inquiry into extremism that:

online commentary on COVID-19 has provided a recruiting tool for right-wing extremist groups, linking those interested in alternative wellness, anti-vaccination and anti-authority conspiracy theories with white supremacist ideologies.

The far right has really sought to mobilise frustrated people and push them more toward right-wing narratives, particularly white nationalist narratives. ...
It's all very ugly, whichever way you look at it.

Kim
I'd say the pervasive vilification of people who for very different reasons are opposed to the harsh (some would say, heavy-handed) measures in Victoria is very ugly. They are broad-brushed as idiots and conspiracy-theorists and many legitimate concerns are not addressed at all. This doesn't bode well for a healthy democratic polity.

Every person I have spoken to here so far, who support the measures, have an exaggerated idea of the risks. People seem to widely believe the disease is dangerous to children, is easily transmitted through fleeting contact and that the ICU beds are already getting overwhelmed. None of this is supported by any serious evidence. So one can argue that just like the opposition to the measures, support for them is to a large extent driven by misconceptions about the situation.
tobes

Post by tobes »

Melbourne has been locked down pretty much more than anywhere in the whole world. I've personally been going very well through it - just more Dharma time, which always what I hope for anyway. My pratice has got better rather than worse since the pandemic.

But, since the start of 2020 we've had: epic/catastrophic bushfires (anyone even remember them now?), Covid - 200+ days in lockdown, then in winter a once in 100 years storm that felled thousands of mountain ash gums (some on on homes) and today a 6.0 earthquake. And I'm starting to think like those crazy preppers. It really feels like end times......
Kim O'Hara
Former staff member

Post by Kim O'Hara »

tobes wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 7:26 am Melbourne has been locked down pretty much more than anywhere in the whole world. I've personally been going very well through it - just more Dharma time, which always what I hope for anyway. My pratice has got better rather than worse since the pandemic.

But, since the start of 2020 we've had: epic/catastrophic bushfires (anyone even remember them now?), Covid - 200+ days in lockdown, then in winter a once in 100 years storm that felled thousands of mountain ash gums (some on on homes) and today a 6.0 earthquake. And I'm starting to think like those crazy preppers. It really feels like end times......
To quote someone or other, you ain't seen nothin' yet! Our end of the country has had floods and drought on high rotation with the odd cat 5 cyclone to keep things interesting.
:rolleye:

Those crazy preppers don't seem quite so crazy now. Most people up here now keep more food (and toilet paper :tongue: ) in their cupboards than they used to.
And that's not a bad thing.

Kim
mikenz66

Post by mikenz66 »

tobes wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 7:26 am But, since the start of 2020 we've had: epic/catastrophic bushfires (anyone even remember them now?), Covid - 200+ days in lockdown, then in winter a once in 100 years storm that felled thousands of mountain ash gums (some on on homes) and today a 6.0 earthquake. And I'm starting to think like those crazy preppers. It really feels like end times......
We feel for you over the ditch in Christchurch. :consoling:
We had earthquakes, fires (nothing like yours, of course), a terrorist attack, and then covid... Luckily our lockdowns have been much shorter, and it almost feels like we've got used to just having to deal with stuff. In fact, there were positive things that arose, like the Student Volunteer Army after the quakes, and the strong unity after the terrorist attack.

Of course, crises can generate a lot of negativity too, as seems to be happening in Melbourne. I gather that the latest riot was triggered by the government shutting down construction?

Mike
tobes

Post by tobes »

Compared to Christchurch, this was the merest tremor.....but they say it was the biggest in a hundred years in these parts.

I love the way New Zealand responded to the terror attack; was hugely inspiring in the midst of a decade of bleakness.

As for the Melbourne riots - it is hard to ascertain who/what is driving it. There is definitely a hard right cohort who are masquerading as blue collar/union workers. Loads of misinformation, much of it party political attack ads that have been designed to fragment the polis. The Vic Liberal Party (note for American readers, this is conservative in Australia) have been waging a campaign since last year trying to paint the premier Dan Andrews as a communist dictator - "Chairman Dan" - using lockdowns to instill totalitarian rule. Very depressing stuff, that people just drink the lolly water and it animates them to violence etc.
Kim O'Hara
Former staff member

Post by Kim O'Hara »

tobes wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 9:15 am Compared to Christchurch, this was the merest tremor.....but they say it was the biggest in a hundred years in these parts.

I love the way New Zealand responded to the terror attack; was hugely inspiring in the midst of a decade of bleakness.

As for the Melbourne riots - it is hard to ascertain who/what is driving it. There is definitely a hard right cohort who are masquerading as blue collar/union workers. Loads of misinformation, much of it party political attack ads that have been designed to fragment the polis. The Vic Liberal Party (note for American readers, this is conservative in Australia) have been waging a campaign since last year trying to paint the premier Dan Andrews as a communist dictator - "Chairman Dan" - using lockdowns to instill totalitarian rule. Very depressing stuff, that people just drink the lolly water and it animates them to violence etc.
See my post above - https://www.dharmawheel.net/viewtopic.p ... 12#p599212 - for more on this, if you missed it.

:coffee:
Kim
tobes

Post by tobes »

Kim O'Hara wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 11:40 pm
tobes wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 9:15 am Compared to Christchurch, this was the merest tremor.....but they say it was the biggest in a hundred years in these parts.

See my post above - https://www.dharmawheel.net/viewtopic.p ... 12#p599212 - for more on this, if you missed it.

:coffee:
Kim
Thanks - yes, pretty spot on. I agree that Facebook is a big part of the problem, but also we need to address the crisis of misinformation intentionally put out by political parties. A democratic system can't function when outright lies are weaponised for political gain ~ as we've all learned in countless place over the last decade.

Return to “Lounge”