Facebook is bad

Casual conversation between friends. Anything goes (almost).
Queequeg
Former staff member

Re: Facebook is bad

Post by Queequeg »

Chenda wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 2:43 pm If it wasn't such a necessity these days for university, I wouldn't even be using it. I used to actively use Twitter and Instagram before, but I now almost always just use Facebook for Messenger and class groups.

There's also Discord, but I would say it's a tad better than Facebook in the sense that I get to choose the servers I'm in and people I interact with.
I'm interested to see how your cohort evolves with all this stuff. You've been immersed in this world since birth and clearly have a very different relationship with it than older people - certainly boomers and x gen who remember rotary phones and 8 tracks. I get the sense that there are in your age groups people who stay away from all this stuff, or use it in moderation.
There is no suffering to be severed. Ignorance and klesas are indivisible from bodhi. There is no cause of suffering to be abandoned. Since extremes and the false are the Middle and genuine, there is no path to be practiced. Samsara is nirvana. No severance achieved. No suffering nor its cause. No path, no end. There is no transcendent realm; there is only the one true aspect. There is nothing separate from the true aspect.
-Guanding, Perfect and Sudden Contemplation,
Kurp

Post by Kurp »

Kim O'Hara wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 12:18 pm But where I see the difference between good social media and bad is that the good ones' prime function is to provide a service and the bad ones' prime function is to channel advertising to their users. As soon as they start selling eyeballs to big business, they alter the medium to make it more addictive, to be able to sell more eyeballs. :toilet:
Queequeg wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 3:09 pm
Things changed when the internet started getting monetized in the dot com boom.

Now, information is just a deluge, and I feel so much better when I just shut the spigot off.
I think it’s important to realize that the internet is a wonderful tool to have, however it’s become a method of technological Darwinism.

Those who are ignorant to the internet’s (mainly social media) ill effects will fall victim to its manipulations. Those who use it with awareness will be able to navigate through the pitfalls better and survive the indoctrination.

We can’t turn back the hands of time and become Amish. Promoting education and encouraging parents to teach their children how to safely navigate the internet is the only answer to any of this.

…or just wait for a solar storm to knock out the internet for us.

https://www.wired.com/story/solar-storm ... ea-cables/
Last edited by Kurp on Sun Sep 19, 2021 3:26 pm, edited 2 times in total.
narhwal90
Global Moderator

Post by narhwal90 »

According to my 15yr old daughter Facebook is for old people and parents, though she does follow a few people on Instagram. Most of her online face-to-face is on discord.
Queequeg
Former staff member

Post by Queequeg »

Kurp wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 3:23 pm
Kim O'Hara wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 12:18 pm But where I see the difference between good social media and bad is that the good ones' prime function is to provide a service and the bad ones' prime function is to channel advertising to their users. As soon as they start selling eyeballs to big business, they alter the medium to make it more addictive, to be able to sell more eyeballs. :toilet:
Queequeg wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 3:09 pm
Things changed when the internet started getting monetized in the dot com boom.

Now, information is just a deluge, and I feel so much better when I just shut the spigot off.
I think it’s important to realize that the internet is a wonderful tool to have, however it’s become a method of technological Darwinism.

Those who are ignorant to the internet’s (mainly social media) ill effects will fall victim to its manipulations. Those who use it with awareness will be able to navigate through the pitfalls better and survive the indoctrination.

We can’t turn back the hands of time and become Amish. Promoting education and encouraging parents to teach their children how to safely navigate the internet is the only answer to any of this.

…or just wait for a solar storm to knock out the internet for us.

https://www.wired.com/story/solar-storm ... ea-cables/
Its not Darwinism because the point with natural selection is that those who can't adapt die off and don't reproduce. Being a social media addict doesn't kill (fast enough) to actually cull the herd. And these people with hopped up thought patterns, gassed up on Qanon and all manner of intellectual brain damage freely roam about in the world the rest of us have to live in.

And we don't want social media to be deadly anyway. That's the whole point of why some of us are criticizing it and calling for some sort of intervention to limit its bad effects.

We outlaw all kinds of detrimental behavior like drunk driving, having minimum ages to drink alcohol and smoke cigarettes, etc.

This is a public health issue. Its an anti-trust issue. This kind of libertarian know-nothingism is a non-starter.
There is no suffering to be severed. Ignorance and klesas are indivisible from bodhi. There is no cause of suffering to be abandoned. Since extremes and the false are the Middle and genuine, there is no path to be practiced. Samsara is nirvana. No severance achieved. No suffering nor its cause. No path, no end. There is no transcendent realm; there is only the one true aspect. There is nothing separate from the true aspect.
-Guanding, Perfect and Sudden Contemplation,
Kurp

Post by Kurp »

Queequeg wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 4:35 pm
Its not Darwinism because the point with natural selection is that those who can't adapt die off and don't reproduce.

So suicides from online bullying don’t count then? Nor does the dumbing down of a population to the point of becoming so socially inept that they cannot sustain realistic, healthy relationships? Sure, individuals may not die off immediately from their stupidity, but the effects of social media are mentally culling societies as a whole, that is for certain. We are one step closer to the film IDIOCRACY with each newly released social media app. Actually, come to think of it, immediate death of individuals would be preferred compared to the slow mental decay of humanity.
Queequeg wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 4:35 pm And we don't want social media to be deadly anyway. That's the whole point of why some of us are criticizing it and calling for some sort of intervention to limit its bad effects.
Which is why I wrote:
Now onto this point:
Queequeg wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 4:35 pm This is a public health issue. Its an anti-trust issue.
Agreed.

Making laws that ban addictive (and sometimes clandestinely toxic) forms of social media like Facebook is a great idea. But it ain’t gonna happen. People will find a way to have what they want, ie the dark web. We’re already screwed. That’s why education is key. People need to know how and why, and not just be told, “No, you can’t have this” like some sort of internet prohibition.
Last edited by Kurp on Sun Sep 19, 2021 5:30 pm, edited 6 times in total.
Kim O'Hara
Former staff member

Post by Kim O'Hara »

:good:
and good discussion.

A friend of mine with a yoga teaching background is running a tech-detox programme for young people, mainly teens. She's teaching them to take time out, teaching mindfulness of what it's doing to them (manipulation, addiction). It's a good idea, IMO, but it only reaches the local people who hear of it, and we need far more than that.

:namaste:
Kim
KristenM

Post by KristenM »

narhwal90 wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 3:37 pm According to my 15yr old daughter Facebook is for old people and parents, though she does follow a few people on Instagram. Most of her online face-to-face is on discord.
I’ve heard that from youngsters, too. They are so over facebook. But I think Tiktok is a lot worse.
Kim O'Hara
Former staff member

Post by Kim O'Hara »

KristenM wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 11:57 pm
narhwal90 wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 3:37 pm According to my 15yr old daughter Facebook is for old people and parents, though she does follow a few people on Instagram. Most of her online face-to-face is on discord.
I’ve heard that from youngsters, too. They are so over facebook. But I think Tiktok is a lot worse.
Discord was new to me so I looked it up - and realised it shouldn't have been new to me because it has been in the news over the last year or so -
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Discord_( ... troversies

The owners say they are trying to clean it up. Let's hope they have better intentions than Facebook.

:coffee:
Kim
KristenM

Post by KristenM »

Kim O'Hara wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 1:22 am
Discord was new to me so I looked it up - and realised it shouldn't have been new to me because it has been in the news over the last year or so -

The owners say they are trying to clean it up. Let's hope they have better intentions than Facebook.

Kim
The name “Discord” says it all, though, doesn’t it?
narhwal90
Global Moderator

Post by narhwal90 »

I asked her about Tiktok, she is quite aware of the self-selecting aspect of the channels but ultimately she is more interested in watching the compilation videos- much like a 2021 version of vine.
Ayu
Global Moderator

Post by Ayu »

KristenM wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 1:33 am
Kim O'Hara wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 1:22 am

Kim
The name “Discord” says it all, though, doesn’t it?
Discord's logo looks like a bug with spotlight eyes. :shock: The companies do not even try to hide their purpose.
I think, the kids regard it as normal to be spied out.
Bristollad

Post by Bristollad »

Ayu wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 7:26 am
Discord's logo looks like a bug with spotlight eyes. :shock: The companies do not even try to hide their purpose.
Uhm, actually it's the outline of a game controller with two thumbsticks...
The antidote—to be free from the suffering of samsara—you need to be free from delusion and karma; you need to be free from ignorance, the root of samsara. So you need to meditate on emptiness. That is what you need. Lama Zopa Rinpoche
dharmafootsteps

Post by dharmafootsteps »

KristenM wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 1:33 am The name “Discord” says it all, though, doesn’t it?
I’m a member of several Discord servers, and ironically there’s significantly less discord in them than any other platform I’m part of, including here.
Kim O'Hara
Former staff member

Post by Kim O'Hara »

Bristollad wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 9:02 am
Ayu wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 7:26 am
Uhm, actually it's the outline of a game controller with two thumbsticks...
Next thing you're going to tell us that the name comes from "dis-cord", as in "switch to wireless connections".

:tongue:
Kim
Tlalok

Post by Tlalok »

dharmafootsteps wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 10:29 am
KristenM wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 1:33 am The name “Discord” says it all, though, doesn’t it?
I’m a member of several Discord servers, and ironically there’s significantly less discord in them than any other platform I’m part of, including here.
Discord has way better moderation tools than FB. It's a great app for gathering niche communities together, I could see a lot of sangha's getting a lot of use out of it. Of course its online so just assume everything that you post, and everything you do on a computer its installed on is being monitored.
Kurp

Post by Kurp »

Hackers can use Discord to spread malware. I never downloaded it / use it and never plan to. Not safe at all IMHO, especially if you’re going into it believing that it’s relatively safe-ish like FaceBook.
Last edited by Kurp on Mon Sep 20, 2021 3:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Virgo

Post by Virgo »

Kurp wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 3:34 pm Hackers can use Discord to spread malware. I never downloaded it / use it and never plan to. Not safe at all IMHO, especially if you’re going into it believing that it’s relatively safe-ish like FaceBook.
dharmafootsteps

Post by dharmafootsteps »

Kurp wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 3:34 pm Hackers can use Discord to spread malware. I never downloaded it / use it and never plan to. Not safe at all IMHO, especially if you’re going into it believing that it’s relatively safe-ish like FaceBook.
This is true, but forum software, email, virtually any website can be also used to spread malware. Discord isn’t inherently unsafe, but like anything on the internet, a bit of general web savvy will help to keep you safer.
Chenda

Post by Chenda »

Definitely not "safe" in the sense that it's free from spying but since communities can be very much exclusive (you can close off servers by deleting all the invite codes, for example), it's a great platform for communities and orgs. People can't "hack" into your server if they don't have an invite in the first place, but admittedly there have been instances of hackers being able to access administrator privileges in some servers which could be quite chaotic.
Tlalok

Post by Tlalok »

This is why your group's security strategy should merely be tied to the application. You gotta police it to stop bad actors like that getting in. Fortunately Discord can help you with that. It's understandable, its original use case was for gamers to congregate. A lot of gaming communities deal with a TON of harassment so it has comparably more robust tools to deal with it.

Return to “Lounge”