Facebook is bad

Casual conversation between friends. Anything goes (almost).
Johnny Dangerous
Global Moderator

Re: Facebook is bad

Post by Johnny Dangerous »

Konchog Thogme Jampa wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 8:48 pm Yes and Facebook understanding predominantly Behavioural Science and Psychology exploited a known vulnerability as Parker put it.

We need the interaction it’s just a question of how healthy it is now we’re all glued to our iPads
It also encourages a certain kind of stunted, narcissistic form of communication by virtue of its design, in a whole bunch of ways. Again, some amazing things are possible with the technology, it’s just designed around people’s worst instincts and acts like a force multiplier, creating new and unique forms of social ostracism, areas where conflict is much more likely than understanding, etc.

It’s a common experience among the most emotionally healthy people I know to have had one or more times where they acted in a way that sort of brought out their worst selves on FB..surprising themselves (don’t even non self that comment, I’m speaking in vernacular), it’s anecdotal sure, but along with the things that continually get revealed about FBs business practices it’s a definite pattern.
Meditate upon Bodhicitta when afflicted by disease

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when sad

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when suffering occurs

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when you are scared

-Khunu Lama
Konchog Thogme Jampa

Post by Konchog Thogme Jampa »

Johnny Dangerous wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 9:01 pm
Konchog Thogme Jampa wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 8:48 pm Yes and Facebook understanding predominantly Behavioural Science and Psychology exploited a known vulnerability as Parker put it.

We need the interaction it’s just a question of how healthy it is now we’re all glued to our iPads
It also encourages a certain kind of stunted, narcissistic form of communication by virtue of its design, in a whole bunch of ways. Again, some amazing things are possible with the technology, it’s just designed around people’s worst instincts and acts like a force multiplier, creating new and unique forms of social ostracism, areas where conflict is much more likely than understanding, etc.

It’s a common experience among the most emotionally healthy people I know to have had one or more times where they acted in a way that sort of brought out their worst selves (don’t even non self that comment, I’m speaking in vernacular), it’s anecdotal sure, but along with the things that continually get revealed about FBs business practices it’s a definite pattern.
I hear ya and I guess it’s all part of the paradigm we’re in these days. 😀 When we can’t take in the information when we are actually with someone as opposed to dealing with a keyboard and an interface.

On the flip side the technology we have has opened up doors for Vajrayana practice via online teachings and empowerment’s which hitherto wasn’t possible in India and Tibet.
Johnny Dangerous
Global Moderator

Post by Johnny Dangerous »

Yeah but that capability predates FB.

FB live is easy for teachers I think, but I find it horrible with the chat an all.

I like it when teachers just disable chat on Zoom.
Meditate upon Bodhicitta when afflicted by disease

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when sad

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when suffering occurs

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when you are scared

-Khunu Lama
Konchog Thogme Jampa

Johnny Dangerous wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 9:41 pm Yeah but that capability predates FB.

FB live is easy for teachers I think, but I find it horrible with the chat an all.

I like it when teachers just disable chat on Zoom.
Know what you mean people asking annoying question whilst you’re trying to receive an empowerment 😁

These days Zuckerberg and cohorts are working on Augmented Reality/Virtual Reality so you can have meetings virtually hand each other virtual documents.

Just glad I practice the Dharma
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

Konchog Thogme Jampa wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 9:17 pm

On the flip side the technology we have has opened up doors for Vajrayana practice via online teachings and empowerment’s which hitherto wasn’t possible in India and Tibet.
That may not be a good thing.
Last edited by Malcolm on Tue Sep 28, 2021 10:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Konchog Thogme Jampa

Malcolm wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 9:55 pm
Konchog Thogme Jampa wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 9:17 pm

That may not be a good thing.
Because of lack of secrecy to the detriment of Secret Mantra?
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

Konchog Thogme Jampa wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 10:00 pm ]
Among other things.
Konchog Thogme Jampa

Malcolm wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 10:05 pm
Among other things.
I suppose we are in the third phase of Vajrayana now it’s global and online and in the west so to say.

I wonder how long it can survive

Are the other issues related to say poor samaya?
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

Konchog Thogme Jampa wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 10:10 pm
Among other things.
I suppose we are in the third phase of Vajrayana now it’s global and online and in the west so to say.

I am just not sure how sound it is to give full empowerments over the web. There are some problems with this, and no agreement about what is correct and not correct. But it really cannot be the case that it is "whatever my lama says is correct."

Meaning empowerments are a different story, there are good and sound reasonings to think these are fine over the web. Even so, being in the same space as the teacher is better, in my opinion.

More importantly, I think that the online empowerment thing makes the whole thing a bit cheap. Then there is the issue of some teachers indiscriminately streaming live teachings to facebook with absolutely no restrictions on who can see them, and so on. There are a whole lot of issues with so called Facebook Dharma Teachings.
Konchog Thogme Jampa

Thanks Malcolm 🙏🙏🙏

:namaste:
Queequeg
Former staff member

Post by Queequeg »

Malcolm wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 10:45 pm

Among other things.

I am just not sure how sound it is to give full empowerments over the web. There are some problems with this, and no agreement about what is correct and not correct. But it really cannot be the case that it is "whatever my lama says is correct."

Meaning empowerments are a different story, there are good and sound reasonings to think these are fine over the web. Even so, being in the same space as the teacher is better, in my opinion.

More importantly, I think that the online empowerment thing makes the whole thing a bit cheap. Then there is the issue of some teachers indiscriminately streaming live teachings to facebook with absolutely no restrictions on who can see them, and so on. There are a whole lot of issues with so called Facebook Dharma Teachings.
Getting dressed in your finest and going to meet your teacher with all the effort that goes into it, and sights, sounds, smells, and all the pomp and ritual just doesn't seem to be the same as passively taking it in while sitting on the couch in your boxers, or worse, on the bowl.

I'm being a little facetious but, that's my impression of facebook interactions.
There is no suffering to be severed. Ignorance and klesas are indivisible from bodhi. There is no cause of suffering to be abandoned. Since extremes and the false are the Middle and genuine, there is no path to be practiced. Samsara is nirvana. No severance achieved. No suffering nor its cause. No path, no end. There is no transcendent realm; there is only the one true aspect. There is nothing separate from the true aspect.
-Guanding, Perfect and Sudden Contemplation,
Virgo

Post by Virgo »

Virgo
Svalaksana

Post by Svalaksana »

Focused mainly on Whatsapp, but heavily featuring Facebook as well. It's a quick overview of Whatsapp history, which also gives a pretty clear and straight picture of the shadiness of Zuck and social media in general.
Looking but not seeing - that's my eye.
Thinking but not minding - that's my mind.
Speaking but not expressing - that's my tongue.
Traveling but not going - that's my path.
narhwal90
Global Moderator

Post by narhwal90 »

The rapid exodus from whatsapp when facebook trashed it was wonderful to see. Still not sure why anything on a phone can be trusted but less facebook in the world is always a win.
Toenail

Post by Toenail »

Malcolm wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 10:45 pm

Among other things.

What are good and sound reasonings for giving donwangs online?
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

Toenail wrote: Fri Oct 01, 2021 3:25 pm What are good and sound reasonings for giving donwangs online?
They are based solely on visualizations, no substances are involved at all.
Learning

Post by Learning »

I haven't used any social media since July 2nd. There is no way to "shut down" social media. Now that the world knows it, it will always exist in some form. You can not erase what has already been discovered. If you don't like it, then don't use it. That seems to be a more appropriate response.
Archie2009

Post by Archie2009 »

Finally a topic we should all be able to agree on. :coffee:
Moha

Post by Moha »

Norwegian

Post by Norwegian »

Whistleblower: Facebook is misleading the public on progress against hate speech, violence, misinformation
Frances Haugen says in her time with Facebook she saw, "conflicts of interest between what was good for the public and what was good for Facebook." Scott Pelley reports.
Her name is Frances Haugen. That is a fact that Facebook has been anxious to know since last month when an anonymous former employee filed complaints with federal law enforcement. The complaints say Facebook's own research shows that it amplifies hate, misinformation and political unrest—but the company hides what it knows. One complaint alleges that Facebook's Instagram harms teenage girls. What makes Haugen's complaints unprecedented is the trove of private Facebook research she took when she quit in May. The documents appeared first, last month, in the Wall Street Journal. But tonight, Frances Haugen is revealing her identity to explain why she became the Facebook whistleblower.

Frances Haugen: The thing I saw at Facebook over and over again was there were conflicts of interest between what was good for the public and what was good for Facebook. And Facebook, over and over again, chose to optimize for its own interests, like making more money.

Frances Haugen is 37, a data scientist from Iowa with a degree in computer engineering and a Harvard master's degree in business. For 15 years she's worked for companies including Google and Pinterest.

Frances Haugen: I've seen a bunch of social networks and it was substantially worse at Facebook than anything I'd seen before.
More:
https://www.cbsnews.com/news/facebook-w ... 021-10-03/

Return to “Lounge”