Facebook is bad

Casual conversation between friends. Anything goes (almost).
Virgo

Re: Facebook is bad

Post by Virgo »

Here I am, having recently returned to this forum, having the opportunity to share all kinds of Dharma with people, and here I go reflexively posting about cyber threats again. What am I doing with my life? :shrug:

Virgo
Kim O'Hara
Former staff member

Post by Kim O'Hara »

Virgo wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 12:52 am Here I am, having recently returned to this forum, having the opportunity to share all kinds of Dharma with people, and here I go reflexively posting about cyber threats again. What am I doing with my life? :shrug:

Virgo
:consoling:

It's okay. DW functions partly as a group of friends with overlapping interests and good values. Enjoy it for that as well as for what else it can do. I do, in case you hadn't noticed. :smile:

:namaste:
Kim
Virgo

Post by Virgo »

Kim O'Hara wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 1:23 am

It's okay. DW functions partly as a group of friends with overlapping interests and good values. :smile:

Kim
Yes, thank Kim. I should loosen up a bit. :namaste:

There is a lot of metal element. Have you noticed? Wait, you haven't, you are in the Southern Hemisphere. :rolling:

Edit: In autumn, the metal element predominates in the northern hemisphere, but in the Southern Hemisphere, wood predominates due to it being spring.

Virgo
Kim O'Hara
Former staff member

Post by Kim O'Hara »

Virgo wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 2:01 am
Kim O'Hara wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 1:23 am

It's okay. DW functions partly as a group of friends with overlapping interests and good values. :smile:

Kim
Yes, thank Kim. I should loosen up a bit. :namaste:

There is a lot of metal element. Have you noticed? Wait, you haven't, you are in the Southern Hemisphere. :rolling:

Edit: In autumn, the metal element predominates in the northern hemisphere, but in the Southern Hemisphere, wood predominates due to it being spring.

Virgo
But if you dig into Feng Shui, as I did a while ago to try to make sense of it for where I live, it becomes clear that it is the product of a temperate climate, not a monsoonal one like mine. Some aspects carry over quite well, others not. For instance, we're now well into our Dry season - very little rain for the last six months, so nothing growing and a lot of trees losing their leaves. In temperate-season terms it's a bit like late summer or maybe autumn, but what comes next is hotter, then stormy but still hot.
:shrug:
Pick an element.
:smile:

:juggling:
Kim
Hazel
Former staff member

Post by Hazel »

I skimmed, but these do not seem to be about the safety of using Discord. They are about attackers using the platform as a means of getting arbitrary content hosted anonymously. It's an old technique and does not influence the security of Discord users. In fact you can do this with anything that will host images for you, with varying levels of sophistication required.
Happy Pride month to my queer dharma siblings!

What do you see when you turn out the lights?
Virgo

Post by Virgo »

Kim O'Hara wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 3:07 am :shrug:
Pick an element.
:smile:
:rolling:
Virgo

Post by Virgo »

Hazel wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 3:24 am
I skimmed, but these do not seem to be about the safety of using Discord. They are about attackers using the platform as a means of getting arbitrary content hosted anonymously. It's an old technique and does not influence the security of Discord users. In fact you can do this with anything that will host images for you, with varying levels of sophistication required.
Yes, exactly. But many people were also targeted on discord using these tactics there. There has been a lot of abuse through stealing of tokens and so forth too. After people's tokens are stolen then the hackers use them to upload their malicious payloads to discord's CDN. This allows them to do this while remaining anonymous. In order to implement these things, they are targeting discord accounts. Discord users are sometimes targets of the attacks too. Sometimes others, but it is delivered with a discord url.

Virgo
narhwal90
Global Moderator

Post by narhwal90 »

In other words; same 'ol, same 'ol
Kim O'Hara
Former staff member

Post by Kim O'Hara »

narhwal90 wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 1:55 pm In other words; same 'ol, same 'ol
But it's useful to know that the new platform has the same old same old problems as the old one.

:coffee:
Kim
Nadereme

Post by Nadereme »

Some of you are turning into soccer moms. Yes there are always risks with social media but it’s foolish to think just making it go away will solve stuff.
Johnny Dangerous
Global Moderator

Post by Johnny Dangerous »

Nadereme wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 5:59 pm Some of you are turning into soccer moms. Yes there are always risks with social media but it’s foolish to think just making it go away will solve stuff.
Soccer moms?

That’s a new one.

Anyway, I was using the internet to communicate since the early 90s on Unix shell accounts.

I remember the optimism about the communications possibilities, the dire predictions of what would happen once the corporations took it over.

Sadly, if anything those dire predictions under estimated how bad it would get.

It’s not about the tech per se, but the design. Facebook is designed to addict and to make people sadder, dumber, and more tribal - period. The company is well aware of this and has chosen to do nothing about it.

The solution? I have no idea really. Some of this stuff (broadband, some capabilities like instant messaging) would be public utilities in a saner world, with some kind of transparent regulation.

The most poisonous aspects of social media though, those are by design, they are built into the business model of these companies.
Meditate upon Bodhicitta when afflicted by disease

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when sad

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when suffering occurs

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when you are scared

-Khunu Lama
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

Nadereme wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 5:59 pm Some of you are turning into soccer moms. Yes there are always risks with social media but it’s foolish to think just making it go away will solve stuff.
We don't want to just make it go away, we want to break it up and drown it in a bathtub.
PadmaVonSamba

Post by PadmaVonSamba »

Just to put a Buddhist spin on this discussion, a lot of what Facebook is has to do with our conditioned perceptions, and this is influenced by the mere fact of being an online phenomenon.

Consider all the things that appear on one’s Facebook page, aside from the things your friends post that they didn’t just share, but is actually about them. Everything else is mostly ads, political propaganda, and so on.

Now, suppose instead of being online (as in “before Facebook”) all that stuff was printed junk mail in the mail box on your house.
Would you even look at it, or would you just toss it into the recycle bin? Would you take that junk mail from whatever lobbying groups or advertisers or whatever, and sit down and write a reply to them? Probably not.

But that’s what people get absorbed into doing online, on Facebook.

Or, you can just scroll past it all.

So, why is it that we would spend 30 seconds going through junk mail and pitching most of it, but we spend an hour looking at the same stuff on Facebook?

I find this very strange!

Non-engagement shouldn’t be too hard for meditators. It’s just like thoughts arising,
When all the junk mail scrolls on Facebook, you just let it pass.
EMPTIFUL.
An inward outlook produces outward insight.
KeithA

Post by KeithA »

Malcolm wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 8:53 pm
Jesse wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 8:50 pm
The law is written by those who claim power, by whatever means they can, lawful or not.
No, that is really not the case. But it is cynicism like yours that contributes to the decline of democracy, rather that strengthens and reinforces it. And that is exactly what people like Trump want to see. They want to see you alienated, angry, and feeling that your vote and voice do not matter. That's how they win, every damn time.
I wish I could shout this to the world. :thumbsup:
When walking, standing, sitting, lying down, speaking,
being silent, moving, being still.
At all times, in all places, without interruption - what is this?
One mind is infinite kalpas.

New Haven Zen Center
Johnny Dangerous
Global Moderator

Post by Johnny Dangerous »

So, why is it that we would spend 30 seconds going through junk mail and pitching most of it, but we spend an hour looking at the same stuff on Facebook?

Non-engagement shouldn’t be too hard for meditators. It’s just like thoughts arising,
Because it’s designed to give a little dopamine hit every time you (for example) check your notifications and endlessly scroll. It’s literally designed like that, and is much more sophisticated than junk mail. We don’t receive junk mail with a specially constructed tribal identity based on “likes” and “friends”. There’s a pull, it’s just less of one. So unless you are a person drawn in by bargain, the junk mail is usually not compelling.

Facebook on the other hand compels people into behavior that is often outside the norm for them by pulling on some very primal instincts in a sophisticated, targeted way.
Meditate upon Bodhicitta when afflicted by disease

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when sad

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when suffering occurs

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when you are scared

-Khunu Lama
Queequeg
Former staff member

Post by Queequeg »

Soccer moms. Yeah, screw them. They also brought the storm down on the Sacklers just for selling pharmaceuticals. Bunch of Karens.
There is no suffering to be severed. Ignorance and klesas are indivisible from bodhi. There is no cause of suffering to be abandoned. Since extremes and the false are the Middle and genuine, there is no path to be practiced. Samsara is nirvana. No severance achieved. No suffering nor its cause. No path, no end. There is no transcendent realm; there is only the one true aspect. There is nothing separate from the true aspect.
-Guanding, Perfect and Sudden Contemplation,
Konchog Thogme Jampa

Post by Konchog Thogme Jampa »

Johnny Dangerous wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 7:29 pm

Because it’s designed to give a little dopamine hit every time you (for example) check your notifications and endlessly scroll. It’s literally designed like that, and is much more sophisticated than junk mail. We don’t receive junk mail with a specially constructed tribal identity based on “likes” and “friends”. There’s a pull, it’s just less of one. So unless you are a person drawn in by bargain, the junk mail is usually not compelling.

Facebook on the other hand compels people into behavior that is often outside the norm for them by pulling on some very primal instincts in a sophisticated, targeted way.
I used to be a Web Developer and trained myself in UX there’s an incredible amount of skill and knowledge goes into Facebook

Like Behavioural Science even the use of red on blue for the notifications on how ordinary people relate to colours is a science in itself.

Sean Parker described Facebook
It’s a social-validation feedback loop …
Dharmawheel works in the same way

We just need that interaction as part of our psychological makeup that’s why Facebook is so successful
Queequeg
Former staff member

Post by Queequeg »

Konchog Thogme Jampa wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 8:25 pm
It’s a social-validation feedback loop …
Dharmawheel works in the same way
society works in the same way. for instance, bonobos don't have a 'like' button. they just rub their nasties on each other.
There is no suffering to be severed. Ignorance and klesas are indivisible from bodhi. There is no cause of suffering to be abandoned. Since extremes and the false are the Middle and genuine, there is no path to be practiced. Samsara is nirvana. No severance achieved. No suffering nor its cause. No path, no end. There is no transcendent realm; there is only the one true aspect. There is nothing separate from the true aspect.
-Guanding, Perfect and Sudden Contemplation,
Konchog Thogme Jampa

Post by Konchog Thogme Jampa »

Yes and Facebook understanding predominantly Behavioural Science and Psychology exploited a known vulnerability as Parker put it.

We need the interaction it’s just a question of how healthy it is now we’re all glued to our iPads

Return to “Lounge”