Quiz - Which Political Party would you belong to?

Casual conversation between friends. Anything goes (almost).
PeterC

Re: Quiz - Which Political Party would you belong to?

Post by PeterC »

Malcolm wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 1:32 pm
PeterC wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 7:57 am
Malcolm wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 7:58 pm
Well read that pdf I posted. Its interesting.
Interesting is one way of putting it. I thought the nation of islam were out there. These guys' belief system is a whole new level of bizarre
Yes, and then you have the Wu Tang Clan combing this with their concept of Buddhism...
Wu Tang Clan is a name borrowed from a mountain historically known for Daoists, not Buddhists. What else can they syncretize this with? Perhaps Ganesh will turn up as the protector of the asiatic black people? Or they decide they’re also descended from the lost tribe of Dan?
frankie

Post by frankie »

Malcolm wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 1:35 pm
Nadereme wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 6:15 am I am sometimes a bit fascinated as to why so many Buddhists seem to have strong political opinions/views and sometimes are borderline extremists. Discussions can turn emotional and strong quickly. To me it is just more grasping.
I am always fascinated by how some Buddhists feign indifference to politics, as if the plight of their fellows is of no concern to them at all. There is all kinds of grasping out there, including indifference.

Yes.

I think it is simply the word politics. If that were removed, there is nothing remaining within that sphere of human affairs that shouldn't concern all Buddhists who may have an interest in the wellbeing of their fellows and the greater environment. Which of course involves all mountains forests and trees, beloved of all great masters past and present.

That it may also bring out the passionate best and worst amongst us, doesn't diminish the subject as being unworthy of Buddhist interest. On the contrary, it only goes to show how vital and beneficial a discipline it is for people to test the integrity and genuineness of such things like Bodhicitta and Shila, moving forward for the benefit of all.
Queequeg
Former staff member

Post by Queequeg »

Malcolm wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 7:58 pm
Well read that pdf I posted. Its interesting.
Interesting is one way of putting it. I thought the nation of islam were out there. These guys' belief system is a whole new level of bizarre
Yes, and then you have the Wu Tang Clan combing this with their concept of Buddhism...
Wu Tang got their name from the Saturday afternoon Kung Fu matinees on Channel 5 that NY kids of a certain age watched religiously.
There is no suffering to be severed. Ignorance and klesas are indivisible from bodhi. There is no cause of suffering to be abandoned. Since extremes and the false are the Middle and genuine, there is no path to be practiced. Samsara is nirvana. No severance achieved. No suffering nor its cause. No path, no end. There is no transcendent realm; there is only the one true aspect. There is nothing separate from the true aspect.
-Guanding, Perfect and Sudden Contemplation,
Genjo Conan

Post by Genjo Conan »

Queequeg wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 2:00 pm

Wu Tang got their name from the Saturday afternoon Kung Fu matinees on Channel 5 that NY kids of a certain age watched religiously.
Wasn't it Channel 9? I feel like I remember watching them when the Mets got rained out.
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

Wu Tang got their name from the Saturday afternoon Kung Fu matinees...
Indeed.
Sādhaka

Post by Sādhaka »

PeterC wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 1:45 pmWu Tang Clan is a name borrowed from a mountain historically known for Daoists, not Buddhists. What else can they syncretize this with? Perhaps Ganesh will turn up as the protector of the asiatic black people? Or they decide they’re also descended from the lost tribe of Dan?

That would be the Tribe of Shabbazz, actually.

The Nation of Islam, Moorish Science Temple, and Nation of Gods & Earths, are syncretic type of movements; with some influence of Masonry, Sufism, etc. The Supreme Wisdoms Lessons and Supreme Mathematics are their sort of ‘Qabalah’, if you will.

https://archive.org/details/AmirFatirCo ... n/mode/2up

By Amir Fatir^. Of course not everyone is going to agree with his interpretations; but his interpretations are interesting.

The Noble Drew Ali I believe had been initiated in a Masonic Lodge in Egypt and/or Morocco, if I’m not mistaken.

It seems that no one noticed my earlier post:

Sādhaka wrote: Thu Sep 09, 2021 3:50 pm I always thought that “woke” had the sense of the Nation of Islam/Moorish Science Temple/Nation of Gods and Earths type of thinking, that distrusted the government, corporations, big pharma, monsanto, etc.

Years ago I used to participate on forums where there was a lot of this, and I was considered to be one of the most knowledgeable white guys there regarding said topics.

A lot of Gods & Earths there read William Cooper’s Behold a Pale Horse, saw 911 as an inside job etc.

But then the term woke got co-opted later on by SJW’s and similar.

One specific example I’m getting at here, is that one of the most classic/famous Hip-Hop artists associated with the Nation of Gods & Earths, Lord Jamar, said that he doesn’t support ‘Black Lives Matter’ because George Soros etc. is behind them. He said those aren’t our people.

https://www.vulture.com/2018/08/how-beh ... p-hop.html

Just to link this^ article to what I posted above on page 1. In New York, the above said groups have had a huge influence on the Hip-Hop scene.
Last edited by Sādhaka on Thu Sep 16, 2021 5:42 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

Sādhaka wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 5:36 pm

https://archive.org/details/AmirFatirCo ... n/mode/2up

By Amir Fatir^. Of course not everyone is going to agree with his interpretations; but his interpretations are interesting.
Tantric Soul Mates in the Quran says it all....

https://archive.org/details/AmirFatirCo ... 1/mode/2up
Sādhaka

Post by Sādhaka »

Amir Fatir’s interpretations are probably considered fringe by most N.O.I. members.

But some of his interpretations I think are onto something, despite ‘Quranic Tantric Soulmates’ lol And even if he’s off on that one, maybe there is a little something to it in context....

Anyhow, there even seem to be some interesting connections to the Moors, Ismailis, Drew Ali, Fard Muhammad, Elijah Muhammad, and ‘the Secret Chiefs’ of early American secret societies, H.P. Blavatsky, John Yarker, Paschal Beverley Randolph (the latter—like Fard Muhammad—was ‘mulatto’, was a founder of an Rosicrucian society and was supposedly an advisor of Abraham Lincoln).
Last edited by Sādhaka on Thu Sep 16, 2021 6:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

Sādhaka wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 6:02 pm Amir Fatir’s interpretations are probably considered fringe by most N.O.I. members.

But some of his interpretations I think are onto something, despite ‘Quranic Tantric Soulmates’ lol And even if he’s off on that one, maybe there is a little something to it in context....

Anyhow, there even seem to be some interesting connections to the Moors, Ismailis, Drew Ali, Fard Muhammad, Elijah Muhammad, and ‘the Secret Chiefs’ of early American secret societies, H.P. Blavatsky, John Yarker, Paschal Beverley Randolph (the latter—like Fard Muhammad—was ‘mulatto’, was a founder of an Rosicrucian society and was supposedly an advisor of Abraham Lincoln).
LIkely through Prince Hall Masons:

https://www.blackpast.org/african-ameri ... sons-1784/
Queequeg
Former staff member

Post by Queequeg »

Genjo Conan wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 4:23 pm

Wasn't it Channel 9? I feel like I remember watching them when the Mets got rained out.
Maybe? Lol... 5, 9, or 11. My favorite were the early Jackie Chan flicks.

Aside, I am sure there was an uptick of tween and teen boys in the ER across the tristate on Saturday afternoons due to errant roundhouse kicks from their older brothers.
There is no suffering to be severed. Ignorance and klesas are indivisible from bodhi. There is no cause of suffering to be abandoned. Since extremes and the false are the Middle and genuine, there is no path to be practiced. Samsara is nirvana. No severance achieved. No suffering nor its cause. No path, no end. There is no transcendent realm; there is only the one true aspect. There is nothing separate from the true aspect.
-Guanding, Perfect and Sudden Contemplation,
Genjo Conan

Post by Genjo Conan »

Queequeg wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 8:48 pm
Genjo Conan wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 4:23 pm

Maybe? Lol... 5, 9, or 11. My favorite were the early Jackie Chan flicks.

Aside, I am sure there was an uptick of tween and teen boys in the ER across the tristate on Saturday afternoons due to errant roundhouse kicks from their older brothers.
Yeah, for sure. If it wasn't chop-socky, it was Charles Bronson or Chuck Norris.
amanitamusc

Post by amanitamusc »

Wu tang clan title is not Buddhist but they do have their own take on Buddhism as Malcolm has aready mentioned yo.
https://www.lionsroar.com/the-tao-of-the-rza/
https://www.whrb.org/archive/shaolin-mo ... -clan-part
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

The Man Behind Critical Race Theory
How Derrick Bell’s pioneering work gave rise to critical race theory.
Read in The New Yorker: https://apple.news/AqOnqIwHvSZS1XWSjwBAkig
For the past several months, however, conservatives have been waging war on a wide-ranging set of claims that they wrongly ascribe to critical race theory, while barely mentioning the body of scholarship behind it or even Bell’s name. As Christopher F. Rufo, an activist who launched the recent crusade, said on Twitter, the goal from the start was to distort the idea into an absurdist touchstone. “We have successfully frozen their brand—‘critical race theory’—into the public conversation and are steadily driving up negative perceptions. We will eventually turn it toxic, as we put all of the various cultural insanities under that brand category,” he wrote. Accordingly, C.R.T. has been defined as Black-supremacist racism, false history, and the terrible apotheosis of wokeness. Patricia Williams, one of the key scholars of the C.R.T. canon, refers to the ongoing mischaracterization as “definitional theft.”
Kim O'Hara
Former staff member

Post by Kim O'Hara »

:thumbsup:
Well spotted.

But not at all surprising, I have to say.

:namaste:
Kim
PeterC

Post by PeterC »

It's entertaining how these things develop. Those movies they watched were almost all made in HK, adaptations of fiction written by a Zhejiang-born journalist who wrote serialized fiction to sell newspapers to a public that wasn't particularly interested in news, and never himself practiced martial arts. Wudang mountain itself did have Daoist hermitages on it, but most of its supposed history is probably fabricated. No reliable documentation actually places "Zhang Sanfeng" there, even he even really existed and wasn't just legendary - but modern fiction was enough to turn Wudang mountain today into a retro theme park. Then these stories get picked up by black kids in NY who can't speak a word of Chinese and incorporated into even more bizarre belief systems.
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

PeterC wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 6:48 amThen these stories get picked up by black kids in NY who can't speak a word of Chinese and incorporated into even more bizarre belief systems.
And great rap music.
amanitamusc

Post by amanitamusc »

Malcolm wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 12:17 am The Man Behind Critical Race Theory
How Derrick Bell’s pioneering work gave rise to critical race theory.
Read in The New Yorker: https://apple.news/AqOnqIwHvSZS1XWSjwBAkig
For the past several months, however, conservatives have been waging war on a wide-ranging set of claims that they wrongly ascribe to critical race theory, while barely mentioning the body of scholarship behind it or even Bell’s name. As Christopher F. Rufo, an activist who launched the recent crusade, said on Twitter, the goal from the start was to distort the idea into an absurdist touchstone. “We have successfully frozen their brand—‘critical race theory’—into the public conversation and are steadily driving up negative perceptions. We will eventually turn it toxic, as we put all of the various cultural insanities under that brand category,” he wrote. Accordingly, C.R.T. has been defined as Black-supremacist racism, false history, and the terrible apotheosis of wokeness. Patricia Williams, one of the key scholars of the C.R.T. canon, refers to the ongoing mischaracterization as “definitional theft.”
Great story. The last paragraph is a gem.
"Vinay Harpalani told me, “Someone asked him once, ‘What do you say about critical race theory?’ ” Bell first replied, “I don’t know what that is,” but then offered, “To me, it means telling the truth, even in the face of criticism.” Harpalani added, “He was just telling his story. He was telling his truth, and that’s what he wanted everyone to do. So, as far as Derrick Bell goes, that’s probably what I think is important.” ♦

Return to “Lounge”