What are your thoughts on DMT and the entities people claim to encounter?

Casual conversation between friends. Anything goes (almost).
Dan74
Former staff member

Re: What are your thoughts on DMT and the entities people claim to encounter?

Post by Dan74 »

Johnny Dangerous wrote: Sun Aug 22, 2021 6:20 am Matt J mentioned Karmic Dreams, to me that this what most of this sounds like, from what little I can understand of such things. I read the OP from the link in detail. I have had enough weird experiences in Dream Yoga to say that Karmic dreams can seem quite real, and have been told this very thing by teachers.

I think with some discernment they can be significant too, i.e. you can learn things from them.

That of course does not preclude the possibility of actually contacting/meeting beings...but personally I wouldn't go wander into those neighborhoods randomly, and I think someone who decides to jump into using hallucinogens with a motivation like that is bound to attract bad experiences eventually, whether what they experience has sentience outside of their own mind or not.

Karma is serious bidnass and for most people we can only perceive the very tip of the iceberg, approaching the whole iceberg by taking DMt, with no spiritual direction but internet Shamanism is a recipe for bad stuff I think, so it is no wonder to me that a number of people have mostly negative experiences and are scared of the forms they encounter.

I'm biased being a substance abuse counselor, but here is a secret:

Most people who habitually use drugs are unhappy, and simply become more unhappy as a result of using them. I'm not a purist, drugs have their uses here and there, but again motivation plays a huge role, and usually the motivation has already set the destination to a sad place.
:good:
Konchog Thogme Jampa

Post by Konchog Thogme Jampa »

It’s strikingly similar to the LSD counterculture movement of the late 60’s

Sold as take this and understand the nature of reality
FiveSkandhas

Post by FiveSkandhas »

"One should cultivate contemplation in one’s foibles. The foibles are like fish, and contemplation is like fishing hooks. If there are no fish, then the fishing hooks have no use. The bigger the fish is, the better the result we will get. As long as the fishing hooks keep at it, all foibles will eventually be contained and controlled at will." -Zhiyi

"Just be kind." -Atisha
SilenceMonkey

Post by SilenceMonkey »

I met a guy who had a powerful face to face with Longchenpa while doing Ayahuasca. He became an extremely devoted practitioner of Dharma after that.

I met another guy from Japan who had a powerful vision of Vajrapani while doing Ayahuasca and it inspired him to tour all of the Buddhist sacred sites of Japan and then find a Tibetan lama.

Lots of people have life changing experiences and find a profound resevoir of love within themselves, shedding many layers of superficial identity along the way. I know a few people who've been cured from addictions after doing this stuff.

I also know people who were led into shamanic practices from doing these things, and I'm sure many who've had spiritual problems as a result. Who knows? :shrug:

It's not a real path, but it's powerful stuff.
Johnny Dangerous
Global Moderator

Post by Johnny Dangerous »

SilenceMonkey wrote: Sun Aug 22, 2021 6:35 pm

I also know people who were led into shamanic practices from doing these things, and I'm sure many who've had spiritual problems as a result. Who knows? :shrug:
Honestly, mostly people who regularly use substances - including hallucinogens, do not have amazing experiences that lead to a spiritual awakening, they end up in other places. Anecdotes about one or two people having some kind of spiritual awakening are interesting and a valid exception to the rule, but I can give you anecdotal reports from my profession in the 100's or 1000's of people having the opposite tendency.

With hallucinogens it's a little different because people tend to use these during a very specific time in their lives - usually from 18 to their early 20's, and then they tend to ween off. That age is also (not coincidentally) the age where people are less likely to be developmentally capable of making measured decisions and weighing risk well.

I can tell you straight up though, IME there are many more negative than positive results. You could say that's the bias of my profession, but that is not really true because I am directly doing interviews with people based on their subjective view of their personal experiences. Some claim positive experiences, but it is often obvious by life circumstances etc. that they are at best sort of "pleasant escape" experiences. Almost universally both professionally and personally, many of the people I know who became avid, regular consumers of any hallucinogenic drug ended up confused, scared, or both. I've also hung out with people who used LSD "spiritually" and much of the language around Ayuhausca and DMT looks to be pretty much the same thing.

That doesn't preclude valid spiritual uses (which I acknowledge exist) but it does imply to me that 1) Most people using it have no idea how to properly use it "spiritually" and do not have the needed guidance, nor do they seek it seriously, and 2) having a spiritual experience is often used as an excuse for the sense of adventure and fun that comes with experimenting with drugs.

I mean, people are gonna do that, I'm not some teetotaler, it's gonna happen. I think it's important to call it like it is though, if people want to go do that stuff for fun, they should sort out their real motivations. The same people rarely say "hey, I'm going to feed the homeless once a week for spiritual practice" or "I'm going to get teachings at the Dharma center and put them into practice"...it's usually a quest for an interesting, stimulating experience and not much else, actual spiritual practice seems boring in comparison.

Also anecdotally/incidentally, a lot of my friends got temporarily pretty messed up from their LSD use, the ones who felt is was "spiritual" actually seemed more prone to the paranoia, etc. If you understand how different drugs work int he brain this makes sense, paranoia is very close to the experiences most people classify as religious or spiritual.

The guys who were just frying for fun seemed to handle it much better - the ones who assigned meaning to every little thing when tripping were just asking for trouble, you can see the same thing if you read the link in the OP.

So let's just say these beings are "real", some sort of sentient being from other dimensions or whatever.

Well, if they are, and most people using DMT have questionable, or just immature motivation in trying to "contact" them, even having a sometimes unhealthy longing for contact or cool experiences...it sounds like a door best only opened when one is really, really sure, which demographically, most users of these drugs probably are not. So either way, IMO most of the time it won't end well.

To make the analogy clearer, IME most users who believe such beings are "real" (which may very well be true to some degree) are doing the equivalent of walking into a cosmic dive bar and looking for someone to take home for a one night stand, we can imagine the results of such an adventure might be temporarily pretty fun, but not so good in the long term.
Meditate upon Bodhicitta when afflicted by disease

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when sad

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when suffering occurs

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when you are scared

-Khunu Lama
Danny

Post by Danny »

I did LSD many years ago in my youth...went down to the McDonald’s .. the dealers were like 13 or something... 😝

Hands down one of the funniest moments in my life..

Friends I have now..
Also admit to LSD and the shared common experiences make for some of the funniest times.
Bad trip or not ... still hysterically funny.
We still laugh about it to this day.

Seriously interested in DMT

Cuz life is fun.. only Buddhists make life serious.
Johnny Dangerous
Global Moderator

Danny wrote: Sun Aug 22, 2021 7:47 pm I did LSD many years ago in my youth...went down to the McDonald’s .. the dealers were like 13 or something... 😝

Friends I have now..
Also admit to LSD and the shared common experiences make for some of the funniest times.

Yes, drugs are all fun, that is why people do them, for the most part.

-Khunu Lama
Jesse

Post by Jesse »

Danny wrote: Sun Aug 22, 2021 7:47 pm I did LSD many years ago in my youth...went down to the McDonald’s .. the dealers were like 13 or something... 😝

Friends I have now..

I've had some very nice experiences with Psilocybin, I don't think these chemicals serve a purpose in my life any longer, but when I was young they had a profound effect on me.

In particular, the experience of being part of nature is one I remember. We tend to think of ourselves as separate from nature/the universe, as a third party who is somehow not part of it, but observing it. At the time it felt like a profound notion, that I wasn't a third party observing the universe, but rather was a part of nature. Ofc this experience was accompanied by intense feelings of bliss, compassion and such, but still. Lol.

This feeling of oneness is universal in the spiritual life, regardless of religion, and many people lack these types of experiences due to their circumstances, karma, whatever you want to call it. So I think being able to have a short visit in that place is in general a good thing. Because they can serve as a means of experiencing that spiritual 'place', I think they do deserve respect and acknowledgement as a type of spiritual sacrament, and as such they should be treated with the same respect as other holy implements, tools. Especially when considered within the context of ancient religious traditions that date back to humanities earliest ancestors.

That said, when these chemicals are abused, they can cause a lot of harm to people. Sometimes even respectful, spiritual use of them can go wrong, but as long as people fully understand that risk, I do not see it as something that should be banned, but rather something that should be approached with informed caution.
Thus shall ye think of all this fleeting world:
A star at dawn, a bubble in a stream;
A flash of lightning in a summer cloud,
A flickering lamp, a phantom, and a dream.
Konchog Thogme Jampa

Friends I have now..

Life is Dukkha
Jesse

Post by Jesse »

Konchog Thogme Jampa wrote: Sun Aug 22, 2021 8:28 pm

Friends I have now..

Life is Dukkha
Life is also Nirvana
frankie

Post by frankie »

For a number of reasons, I don't imagine it would be a good move to die while tripping.

I shouldn't be surprised if the whacky world of wonders, and very often horrors, that opens up to us while alive as a result of messing with our serotonin, neurons and synapses, without any ordered structure to the process, on psychedelics, might also be ruinously conditioning the mind to gravitate in the death process towards some really quite unhelpful and adverse images, now burned into our 'storehouse consciousness'.

Not sure if that phantasamagoria ever gets cleaned out in time for the most crucial and serious 'trip' of all.

The chasing of experiences of that type could be seen as the very antithesis of the oft repeated password to open the golden gates to liberation: "Let go", "let go", "let go".
Danny

Post by Danny »

Jesse wrote: Sun Aug 22, 2021 8:12 pm

Friends I have now..

I've had some very nice experiences with Psilocybin, I don't think these chemicals serve a purpose in my life any longer, but when I was young they had a profound effect on me.

In particular, the experience of being part of nature is one I remember. We tend to think of ourselves as separate from nature/the universe, as a third party who is somehow not part of it, but observing it. At the time it felt like a profound notion, that I wasn't a third party observing the universe, but rather was a part of nature. Ofc this experience was accompanied by intense feelings of bliss, compassion and such, but still. Lol.

This feeling of oneness is universal in the spiritual life, regardless of religion, and many people lack these types of experiences due to their circumstances, karma, whatever you want to call it. So I think being able to have a short visit in that place is in general a good thing. Because they can serve as a means of experiencing that spiritual 'place', I think they do deserve respect and acknowledgement as a type of spiritual sacrament, and as such they should be treated with the same respect as other holy implements, tools. Especially when considered within the context of ancient religious traditions that date back to humanities earliest ancestors.

That said, when these chemicals are abused, they can cause a lot of harm to people. Sometimes even respectful, spiritual use of them can go wrong, but as long as people fully understand that risk, I do not see it as something that should be banned, but rather something that should be approached with informed caution.
Great post - thanks Jess

:namaste: the
Konchog Thogme Jampa

Jesse wrote: Sun Aug 22, 2021 8:36 pm

Friends I have now..

Life is Dukkha
Life is also Nirvana
You have to recognise the problem to get to the solution. The whole of Samsara is Dukkha.

Psychedelics is quite simply a lottery with your karma, health and future.
Jesse

Post by Jesse »

Konchog Thogme Jampa wrote: Sun Aug 22, 2021 9:43 pm

Life is Dukkha
Life is also Nirvana
You have to recognise the problem to get to the solution. The whole of Samsara is Dukkha.

I'm not arguing that fact. I simply acknowledge the issue isn't black or white. It's some shade of grey, and peoples mileage may vary.
Johnny Dangerous
Global Moderator

Jesse wrote: Sun Aug 22, 2021 10:02 pm

Life is also Nirvana

I'm not arguing that fact. I simply acknowledge the issue isn't black or white. It's some shade of grey, and peoples mileage may vary.
Other than very specific situations with truly knowledgeable guidance, I would argue that experiences do not vary so much, and that using psychedelics is a waste of time spiritually. They have value both therapeutically and spiritually in some cases I think, but the vast majority of people are doing them in order to chase sensory and emotional experiences, which from a Buddhist perspective is just becoming more fascinated with what already has you captured.

-Khunu Lama
Konchog Thogme Jampa

Jesse wrote: Sun Aug 22, 2021 10:02 pm

Life is also Nirvana

Well actual Shamans used it 500 years ago and probably knew what they were doing. But that’s Shamanism. People mileages definitely vary which is fine. :thumbsup:
conebeckham

Post by conebeckham »

Johnny Dangerous wrote: Sun Aug 22, 2021 7:59 pm

Friends I have now..

Yes, drugs are all fun, that is why people do them, for the most part.
Unless and until they are not.
དམ་པའི་དོན་ནི་ཤེས་རབ་ཆེ་བ་དང་།
རྟོག་གེའི་ཡུལ་མིན་བླ་མའི་བྱིན་རླབས་དང་།
སྐལ་ལྡན་ལས་འཕྲོ་ཅན་གྱིས་རྟོགས་པ་སྟེ།
དེ་ནི་ཤེས་རབ་ལ་ནི་ལོ་རྟོག་སེལ།།

"Absolute Truth is not an object of analytical discourse or great discriminating wisdom,
It is realized through the blessing grace of the Guru and fortunate Karmic potential.
Like this, mistaken ideas of discriminating wisdom are clarified."
- (Kyabje Bokar Rinpoche, from his summary of "The Ocean of Definitive Meaning")
Matt J

Post by Matt J »

There have been a number of tests on using psychedelics with experienced meditators--- IIRC, it tends to be helpful to do under controlled circumstances, but only 1-2 times. People did not tend to find it helpful any more than that.

Michael Pollan has written a good book on the topic, How to Change Your Mind.
"The world is made of stories, not atoms."
--- Muriel Rukeyser
明安 Myoan
Former staff member

Post by 明安 Myoan »

Matt J wrote: Wed Aug 25, 2021 4:07 pmHow to Change Your Mind.
Seconded on this book recommendation. It's a very balanced, informative book. And Pollan is a skilled writer with an enjoyable style. I'm looking forward to reading his other books on food :smile:
Namu Amida Butsu
SilenceMonkey

Post by SilenceMonkey »

Johnny Dangerous wrote: Sun Aug 22, 2021 7:27 pm
To make the analogy clearer, IME most users who believe such beings are "real" (which may very well be true to some degree) are doing the equivalent of walking into a cosmic dive bar and looking for someone to take home for a one night stand
Lol!

Return to “Lounge”