What's with all the monarchism being fed to kids?

Casual conversation between friends. Anything goes (almost).
Natan

What's with all the monarchism being fed to kids?

Post by Natan »

Since we are discussing fiction in another thread, something has been bugging me. What's with all the monarchism in all the media on Netflix and elsewhere meant for children? It's like there is one type of government, a king and queen, the rightful heirs and their loyal subjects. They could be energy beings from the planet Archimedia that fly interstellar. But, they have a king and queen. Democracy is having a rough go at the moment. Children are being conditioned to say, "Your wish is my command, your worship."
Danny

Re: What's with all the monarchism being fed to kids?

Post by Danny »

Crazywisdom wrote: Sat Jul 31, 2021 3:25 pm Since we are discussing fiction in another thread, something has been bugging me. What's with all the monarchism in all the media on Netflix and elsewhere meant for children? It's like there is one type of government, a king and queen, the rightful heirs and their loyal subjects. They could be energy beings from the planet Archimedia that fly interstellar. But, they have a king and queen. Democracy is having a rough go at the moment. Children are being conditioned to say, "Your wish is my command, your worship."
“Democracy don’t rule the world .. violence does”.

Bob Dylan.

Government is the number one murderer of innocent civilians.

It’s called democide.

But to answer what’s bugging you, the agenda is to capture the hearts and minds of young children to shape progressive thought patterns that mature later in life.
Imprinting. Personally I don’t care, it’s for future generations to deal with, I’ll be dead worm food...
Plus I’m dialing back my “knowledge”’of the world...
Meh.
Archie2009

Post by Archie2009 »

Isn't it because Americans have this weird thing for (European) royalty and dominate the entertainment industry?
Natan

Post by Natan »

Archie2009 wrote: Sat Jul 31, 2021 5:06 pm Isn't it because Americans have this weird thing for (European) royalty and dominate the entertainment industry?
The thing I saw was made by a Spaniard. Maybe you're right. What's that about?
Natan

Post by Natan »

Danny wrote: Sat Jul 31, 2021 4:46 pm
Crazywisdom wrote: Sat Jul 31, 2021 3:25 pm Since we are discussing fiction in another thread, something has been bugging me. What's with all the monarchism in all the media on Netflix and elsewhere meant for children? It's like there is one type of government, a king and queen, the rightful heirs and their loyal subjects. They could be energy beings from the planet Archimedia that fly interstellar. But, they have a king and queen. Democracy is having a rough go at the moment. Children are being conditioned to say, "Your wish is my command, your worship."
“Democracy don’t rule the world .. violence does”.

Bob Dylan.

Government is the number one murderer of innocent civilians.

It’s called democide.

But to answer what’s bugging you, the agenda is to capture the hearts and minds of young children to shape progressive thought patterns that mature later in life.
Imprinting. Personally I don’t care, it’s for future generations to deal with, I’ll be dead worm food...
Plus I’m dialing back my “knowledge”’of the world...
Meh.
How is monarchism even remotely progressive?
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

Archie2009 wrote: Sat Jul 31, 2021 5:06 pm Isn't it because Americans have this weird thing for (European) royalty and dominate the entertainment industry?
We don't really. We look at royalty as a quaint and charming oddity that we have abandoned.
Danny

Post by Danny »

Malcolm wrote: Sat Jul 31, 2021 5:29 pm
We don't really. We look at royalty as a quaint and charming oddity that we have abandoned.
Lol Washington was a king in all but name.
The struggle was to not to appear to be the thing you just over turned, but had no idea what’s happens next??

Yankees...
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

Danny wrote: Sat Jul 31, 2021 5:40 pm
That is just false. There was a man, Colonel Lewis Nicola, who suggested to Washington that as the chief executive of the nascent republic, he be named "king." Washington flat out rejected this suggestion. And as history shows, he transferred his power peacefully to the next president. Kings only transfer power, generally, through death or murder.
Danny

Post by Danny »

Malcolm wrote: Sat Jul 31, 2021 5:55 pm

That is just false.
The fears of the day were that Washington was a king, without the ritual, checking for a dick, and the blood of the Roman eagle confirmation. Also the fears were what fills the “void” after reactionary forces had secured a political empty space, the illegal redistribution of wealth and land...

False no...

Pragmatic yes, read the papers and letters.
I Don’t look at just congressional records, but also the British parliaments rolls, for balance.
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

Danny wrote: Sat Jul 31, 2021 6:07 pm

That is just false.
The fears of the day were that Washington was a king, without the ritual, checking for a dick, and the blood of the Roman eagle confirmation.
Whose fears?
Also the fears were what fills the “void” after reactionary forces had secured a political empty space, the illegal redistribution of wealth and land...
Huh? Which "reactionary forces" are you referring to?
False no...
Definitely.
Danny

Post by Danny »

Malcolm wrote: Sat Jul 31, 2021 6:36 pm
Danny wrote: Sat Jul 31, 2021 6:07 pm

That is just false.
The fears of the day were that Washington was a king, without the ritual, checking for a dick, and the blood of the Roman eagle confirmation.
Whose fears?
Also the fears were what fills the “void” after reactionary forces had secured a political empty space, the illegal redistribution of wealth and land...
Huh? Which "reactionary forces" are you referring to?
False no...
Definitely.
Typical gaslighting
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

Danny wrote: Sat Jul 31, 2021 7:58 pm
Typical gaslighting
Typical ambiguous claims not backed by any facts whatsoever.
frankie

Post by frankie »

Some thoughts about the attractions to society and Tibetan Buddhists of monarchism:

1) The clothes and accommodations are lovely.

2) There are loads of spicy lower-drive intrigues, betrayals, and power-brokings always going on in such high-born human dramas. Fun to watch, I guess.

3) There is an innate attraction based on our inner drive to be 'higher' than where we may currently be in 'real-life', ie - we all have an inner king and queen that is either envious of our wishes to magnetise with the external ones we see modelled for us on TV, royal weddings, etc. Perhaps even analogous to Buddhists' drive/desire for enlightenment.

4) Monarchy is similar to the Tibetan tulku system of lineage/family succession. kind of ironic, then, that so many avowed anti-royalist/monarchists, will so keenly bend the knee and prostrate (literally, hehehehe) to such a system. But that's a whole can of worms perhaps best left unfed in order to keep thing light, as befits a discussion about what is, after all, only an elaborate soap opera.

I know much of the above constitutes rather sweeping generalisations...but generalisations exist for a useful purpose - they are generally right.
Johnny Dangerous
Global Moderator

Post by Johnny Dangerous »

It's all about the cool/sexy costumes, mostly.
Meditate upon Bodhicitta when afflicted by disease

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when sad

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when suffering occurs

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when you are scared

-Khunu Lama
Danny

Post by Danny »

Malcolm wrote: Sat Jul 31, 2021 8:10 pm
Danny wrote: Sat Jul 31, 2021 7:58 pm
Typical gaslighting
Typical ambiguous claims not backed by any facts whatsoever.
James Callender
Danny

Post by Danny »

Callender sided with the Jeffersonian Democratic-Republican Party, which believed in a limited federal government that would allow states to determine their own future. Republicans, as they were known until 1828 when they would become the Democratic Party, believed Congress had principal power in national affairs, since it was closer to the states and the people. A too-powerful executive, supported by a large army, would encourage monarchism. Republican distaste for the monarchy inspired their support for the freedom-loving revolutionaries in France over Great Britain’s king.
Johnny Dangerous
Global Moderator

Post by Johnny Dangerous »

You could make the argument that these simple, dumb power dynamics are more hard wired in human beings, the pageantry, the costumes, the simple social relationships.

Democracy is like cultivation of virtue, it requires people to go against the stream to an extent and critically evaluate all these simple, pleasurable things...not really what most entertainment does. What would even be an example of entertainment that promotes democratic structures?

I mean, the funnest Scifi I read is always about empires, in one way or another. We love the rise and fall.
Meditate upon Bodhicitta when afflicted by disease

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when sad

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when suffering occurs

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when you are scared

-Khunu Lama
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

Danny wrote: Sat Jul 31, 2021 9:20 pm Callender sided with the Jeffersonian Democratic-Republican Party, which believed in a limited federal government that would allow states to determine their own future. Republicans, as they were known until 1828 when they would become the Democratic Party, believed Congress had principal power in national affairs, since it was closer to the states and the people. A too-powerful executive, supported by a large army, would encourage monarchism. Republican distaste for the monarchy inspired their support for the freedom-loving revolutionaries in France over Great Britain’s king.
There was never any danger that Washington was going to become a king.
Danny

Post by Danny »

(1642–1651) English civil war, Cromwells new model Army - the parliamentary army had done away with the Stuart Scottish Charles 1st. The English had for a long time debated about what happens after a King had been dispensed with, turns out Puritan Cromwell became a lord protector of the United Kingdom, much to the terror of the Chatholic populace. Became a tyrant. The Hobbes leviathan (divine right of kings) vs Lockes Age of Enlightenment in terms of two treaties of self governance - had not been settled when the English left for the new world. We exported that to the colonies, the English had even at that time invited Charles the 2nd back from exile in France to continue the hereditary Kingship back into English politics, there was at that time no knowledge of what comes next. Democracy and “rights”
Was alien to people back then.
Washington was offered a “crown” of sorts, no matter how a kings crown was broken into many parts. Thankfully he rejected as you say, but to say there was no memory and fear of another lord protector,
A tyrant is unreasonable. Washington and his successor
Adams were viewed as Federalists and with suspicion.
It’s a really super cool time in history to study.
A good documentary series from the British side of things - called Rebels and Red coats. Would be good to be taught in American Schools.
Danny

Post by Danny »

The documentary] is an engaging upside-down look at a period of American history that few Americans ever question. It may not be exactly fair – the British bias is blatant – but it is fairly accurate. Mostly, it gives viewers a sense of the world's more jaundiced view of a revolution that Americans cherish as a triumph of democracy and human rights. And a little like Michael Moore's polemical films, the documentary delivers its most striking indictments not in the facts but in the sly visual juxtapositions.

Return to “Lounge”