What's with all the crankholes

Casual conversation between friends. Anything goes (almost).
Queen Elizabeth II

Re: What's with all the crankholes

Post by Queen Elizabeth II »

Minobu wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 11:09 pm But there are like quite a lot of angry people in here.

i have witnessed meanness galore, games to hurt people.

Snide comments meant to hurt.

Sarcasm made for like some clique.
Then we should be very thankful that they're engaged with the Buddha's teaching, should we not?

I mean if people can be this angry, mean, hurtful and sarcastic even though they are engaged with the Buddha's teaching, just think how much angrier, meaner, more hurtful and more sarcastic they might be if they were not engaged with it.

:shrug:
amanitamusc

Post by amanitamusc »

Queen Elizabeth II wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 4:58 am
Minobu wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 11:09 pm But there are like quite a lot of angry people in here.

Then we should be very thankful that they're engaged with the Buddha's teaching, should we not?

I mean if people can be this angry, mean, hurtful and sarcastic even though they are engaged with the Buddha's teaching, just think how much angrier, meaner, more hurtful and more sarcastic they might be if they were not engaged with it.

:shrug:
I agree and would only add.We are living in samsara.We are all suffering and all deserving of compassion.
FiveSkandhas

Post by FiveSkandhas »

I think most people are pretty respectful of each other on DharmaWheel.
:consoling:
"One should cultivate contemplation in one’s foibles. The foibles are like fish, and contemplation is like fishing hooks. If there are no fish, then the fishing hooks have no use. The bigger the fish is, the better the result we will get. As long as the fishing hooks keep at it, all foibles will eventually be contained and controlled at will." -Zhiyi

"Just be kind." -Atisha
Kim O'Hara
Former staff member

Post by Kim O'Hara »

FiveSkandhas wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 6:53 am I think most people are pretty respectful of each other on DharmaWheel.
:consoling:
I agree, and I reckon anyone who doesn't agree should spend some time on reddit and facebook to find out how the other half lives.
:thinking:

And I will take this opportunity to thank (again) the mod team who filter out most of the nasties so that we can enjoy such a civil forum.

:namaste:
Kim
amanitamusc

Post by amanitamusc »

Minobu wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 11:09 pm You know hanging out in Buddhist Ville you would think compassion and nicest would abound.

But there are like quite a lot of angry people in here.

It doesn't make sense to me.

All of which is so like counter productive.

Why????????????????

maybe if we are all honest and help each other with this ....

maybe just maybe......
Here is the answer to your crankhole problem.It is actually a pretty small solution . :thumbsup:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/294054765041?h ... SwAjZgR8SK
muni

Post by muni »

Minobu,

I have always expected the whole world to be in the way I could feel me home. And this world is then filled with loving kind beings; all understanding compassionate selfless Chenrezigs. You see, I never asked so much.

Of course, this doesn' t work, disappointment is all I got.
And in no way such results in finding peace within.

If you feel the need to give someone an uppercut or so, you can as well take restless actions by fellows upon you ( breath in) where it becomes transformed into peace inside and that you send back ( breath out). Then there will be inner peace as well. ( see TongLen)

Or metta meditation... :smile:
“Don't Let Behavior of Others Destroy Your Inner Peace” – Dalai Lama."
“We are each living in our own soap opera. We do not see things as they really are. We see only our interpretations. This is because our minds are always so busy...But when the mind calms down, it becomes clear. This mental clarity enables us to see things as they really are, instead of projecting our commentary on everything.” Jetsunma Tenzin Palmo.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6bg9jOYnEUA
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

amanitamusc wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 7:57 am
Minobu wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 11:09 pm You know hanging out in Buddhist Ville you would think compassion and nicest would abound.

Why????????????????

maybe just maybe......
Here is the answer to your crankhole problem.It is actually a pretty small solution . :thumbsup:
But the crank cover trim ring is also necessary:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/294054788698?_ ... 101224.m-1
sphairos

Post by sphairos »

I think the problem lies, as usual, in that people call and maybe even think of themselves as Buddhists, but are not ones in reality.

Especially the loudest ones with the most number of posts. ;)
Queequeg
Former staff member

Post by Queequeg »

sphairos wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 2:28 pm I think the problem lies, as usual, in that people call and maybe even think of themselves as Buddhists, but are not ones in reality.

No true Buddhist, eh?
There is no suffering to be severed. Ignorance and klesas are indivisible from bodhi. There is no cause of suffering to be abandoned. Since extremes and the false are the Middle and genuine, there is no path to be practiced. Samsara is nirvana. No severance achieved. No suffering nor its cause. No path, no end. There is no transcendent realm; there is only the one true aspect. There is nothing separate from the true aspect.
-Guanding, Perfect and Sudden Contemplation,
sphairos

Post by sphairos »

Queequeg wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 3:02 pm
sphairos wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 2:28 pm I think the problem lies, as usual, in that people call and maybe even think of themselves as Buddhists, but are not ones in reality.

No true Buddhist, eh?
Yes, Sir.

Buddhism is hard.

What is easy is to be a petty, angry, full of yourself person.
Queequeg
Former staff member

Post by Queequeg »

sphairos wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 3:15 pm

No true Buddhist, eh?
Yes, Sir.

Buddhism is hard.

:smile:
There is no suffering to be severed. Ignorance and klesas are indivisible from bodhi. There is no cause of suffering to be abandoned. Since extremes and the false are the Middle and genuine, there is no path to be practiced. Samsara is nirvana. No severance achieved. No suffering nor its cause. No path, no end. There is no transcendent realm; there is only the one true aspect. There is nothing separate from the true aspect.
-Guanding, Perfect and Sudden Contemplation,
sphairos

Post by sphairos »

Queequeg wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 3:26 pm

No true Buddhist, eh?
Yes, Sir.

Buddhism is hard.

Q.E.D. :smile:
DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

It's not very active, but if you want very friendly, cordial discussion, it's at DP:

https://www.dharmapaths.com/

Everyone thought it would be a combat zone, with comparative religions and traditions being discussed, but it ended up being a love fest. :tongue:

Of course there is friendly discussion here too, but it's easier to notice and remember the controversies and fighting than the more common beneficial times.
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

DNS wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 3:51 pm It's not very active, but if you want very friendly, cordial discussion, it's at DP:

https://www.dharmapaths.com/

Everyone thought it would be a combat zone, with comparative religions and traditions being discussed, but it ended up being a love fest. :tongue:

Of course there is friendly discussion here too, but it's easier to notice and remember the controversies and fighting than the more common beneficial times.
Yes, if you love Nicholas Weeks, who subscribes to a lot of strange, far-right wing conspiracy theories.
tkp67

Post by tkp67 »

Buddhist means practitioner of Buddhist teachings, someone who has taken refuge. It does not mean an attained Buddha.

Who set the expectation that liberation is a measure of practice and not the process of practice itself?

Plus it really betrays the ultimate purpose of this teaching. The buddha eliminated his own ego so he did not suffer other people's mental discord. He simply understood it as such and taught accordingly.

This is the real problem with expecting various traditions of various methods to all act according to the same framework.

It is even worse when there are traditions here with known diametrically opposed entry points and perspectives yet they are constantly put odds as if there is something to be won.

IMHO this is the problem with delegating everything to external agency be it a teacher, a god, a priest or any other authority but one's own desires and volition. There is no wizard of oz pulling the switches and pushing the buttons behind the big screen that one's own mind projects.

:anjali:
PeterC

Post by PeterC »

Queequeg wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 3:26 pm

No true Buddhist, eh?
Yes, Sir.

Buddhism is hard.

Nothing goes over his head. His reflexes are too fast.
amanitamusc

Post by amanitamusc »

Malcolm wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 1:16 pm
amanitamusc wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 7:57 am

Why????????????????

maybe just maybe......

But the crank cover trim ring is also necessary:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/294054788698?_ ... 101224.m-1
This is true.Who wants a leaky crankhole? :cheers:
Minobu

Post by Minobu »

Johnny Dangerous wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 12:46 am It's like a mechanic, if you go into the mechanics you don't see cars in perfect shape, you see cars that look like crap in various stages of disrepair.

Or, if you go into the emergency room, you see people in various stages of injury waiting to see the doctor. Injuries are not pretty. I remember on one of my birthdays spending hours in one with half a toe cut off, wrapped in nothing but a dirty, bloody sock. Not like my toe was that clean in the first place, either. Mine was the mildest injury there too, it was still friggin gross.

The Buddha is ultimate doctor, the Dharma the ultimate medicine, but the treatment isn't always pretty, and the medicine doesn't always taste that nice.
You more than anyone else knows i don't say things to suck up to a mod.

This is such an impressive post on the subject.

I don't know if you have grown or i just never really got you ...or just it took me time to see you in this light.

you are a really good guy ...your approach to this topic and what you said is like genetic art in humans.
Johnny Dangerous
Global Moderator

Post by Johnny Dangerous »

Thanks for the vote of confidence, it’s just something I got from a Vajra sibling when I asked him something like “why do Buddhists seem so crazy”.

In some ways it’s pretty common sense advice, but not always easy to recollect it when it’s most needed.
Meditate upon Bodhicitta when afflicted by disease

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when sad

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when suffering occurs

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when you are scared

-Khunu Lama
FiveSkandhas

Post by FiveSkandhas »

There is this old hippie who lives deep inside me and I don't see him too much anymore, but I have a certain respect for him because he pointed me to the dharma once long ago. He wanted to come out for this thread, because he likes so many of you for who you are, and wants his Dharma brothers and sisters to be happy. Please forgive his inherent cheesiness. It's well ment.

:group: :applause: :yinyang: :twothumbsup: :alien:

"One should cultivate contemplation in one’s foibles. The foibles are like fish, and contemplation is like fishing hooks. If there are no fish, then the fishing hooks have no use. The bigger the fish is, the better the result we will get. As long as the fishing hooks keep at it, all foibles will eventually be contained and controlled at will." -Zhiyi

"Just be kind." -Atisha

Return to “Lounge”