Amazon workers gifted with meditation booths

Casual conversation between friends. Anything goes (almost).
Supramundane

Amazon workers gifted with meditation booths

Post by Supramundane »

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.busine ... 21-5%3famp

https://9gag.com/gag/axMOXd2?ref=android

Please do not scream during your existential crisis, as it may disturb the workflow of others.

Thank you

Management
shaunc

Re: Amazon workers gifted with meditation booths

Post by shaunc »

Just wondering if a liveable wage might not be a bit more helpful to them than a meditation booth.
FiveSkandhas

Post by FiveSkandhas »

I heard somebody describe it less charitably as "The Nervous-Breakdown Nook."
"One should cultivate contemplation in one’s foibles. The foibles are like fish, and contemplation is like fishing hooks. If there are no fish, then the fishing hooks have no use. The bigger the fish is, the better the result we will get. As long as the fishing hooks keep at it, all foibles will eventually be contained and controlled at will." -Zhiyi

"Just be kind." -Atisha
Minobu

Post by Minobu »

FiveSkandhas wrote: Sun May 30, 2021 11:09 am I heard somebody describe it less charitably as "The Nervous-Breakdown Nook."
:rolling: :twothumbsup: :rolling:
Jesse

Post by Jesse »

Despicable. Paying them pennies to destroy their bodies, and mental health, then trying to misuse Buddhism/Zen to increase worker productivity.

The rich really need to be taxed out of existence.
Thus shall ye think of all this fleeting world:
A star at dawn, a bubble in a stream;
A flash of lightning in a summer cloud,
A flickering lamp, a phantom, and a dream.
FiveSkandhas

Post by FiveSkandhas »

Some quotes from Jeff Bezos, Amazon founder:

"What consumerism really is...is getting people to buy things that don't actually improve their lives."

"I'm sorry, did I take my stupid pills today?"

"Are you lazy or just incompetent?"

"I trust you to run world-class operations and this is another example of how you are letting me down."

"If I hear that idea again, I'm gonna have to kill myself."

"Amazon should approach these small publishers the way a cheetah would pursue a sickly gazelle"
2021-05-26.jpg
2021-05-26.jpg (47.5 KiB) Viewed 984 times
"One should cultivate contemplation in one’s foibles. The foibles are like fish, and contemplation is like fishing hooks. If there are no fish, then the fishing hooks have no use. The bigger the fish is, the better the result we will get. As long as the fishing hooks keep at it, all foibles will eventually be contained and controlled at will." -Zhiyi

"Just be kind." -Atisha
Johnny Dangerous
Global Moderator

Post by Johnny Dangerous »

Hey guys look, we're totally pro worker, except for wages, organizing rights, autonomy or any of that other meaningless stuff. I mean, meditation booths right?

I remember many years ago when I worked AOL before it merged with Time Warner (before it got outsourced to India) and then became nothing, the science of the oppressive yet "friendly" digital workplace was still in it's infancy, but man, we got -so much- dumb, crappy free stuff in lieu of real wages, good benefits, or organizing power.

They basically threw shiny junk at us constantly.
Meditate upon Bodhicitta when afflicted by disease

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when sad

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when suffering occurs

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when you are scared

-Khunu Lama
Knotty Veneer

Post by Knotty Veneer »

This is the logical outworking of the corporate mindfulness movement. Meditation at the service of profit. Meditation as a time-and-motion tool. Greed can ruin anything.
This is not the wrong life.
Genjo Conan

Post by Genjo Conan »

Johnny Dangerous wrote: Mon May 31, 2021 7:10 am Hey guys look, we're totally pro worker, except for wages, organizing rights, autonomy or any of that other meaningless stuff. I mean, meditation booths right?

I remember many years ago when I worked AOL before it merged with Time Warner (before it got outsourced to India) and then became nothing, the science of the oppressive yet "friendly" digital workplace was still in it's infancy, but man, we got -so much- dumb, crappy free stuff in lieu of real wages, good benefits, or organizing power.

They basically threw shiny junk at us constantly.
I worked at Starbucks for a few years in my twenties (so, it's been a minute--I understand things have gotten even worse since), and they larded us up with this shit. True, they said, our paychecks were low, but look at all the great benefits--health and dental, a 401K, stock options!

The thing was, you had to affirmatively exercise all these benefits; they didn't passively accrue. And Starbucks made it as complicated as possible to exercise them. At the time I was a single, childless guy with a grad degree, and I never bothered with most of them. Most of my coworkers were in a similar place: the majority of us were either twentysomethings who were in that job for a year or two between school and more school or a better job, or single Black moms working two or three jobs trying to keep the bottom from falling out. The first cohort didn't have the motivation to try to keep on top of the dental plan ("I'm 22, I'll live forever!") and the second didn't have the time or energy.

Starbucks saved millions a year by avoiding having so much of the compensation be in the form of benefits rather than wages. But hey, we weren't employees, we were "Partners."
WJ77

Post by WJ77 »

So, Amazon can put collection lockers everywhere, and now they have meditation booths... but they've never heard of portaloos, and so their drivers have to urination in plastic bottles in the back of the delivery vans...
Kurp

Post by Kurp »

The "interactive kiosk" would allow workers to take time out of their shifts to watch short videos, featuring positive affirmations, calming sounds, and guided meditations, Amazon said in a press release.
Supramundane

Post by Supramundane »

Kurp wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 5:24 pm
The "interactive kiosk" would allow workers to take time out of their shifts to watch short videos, featuring positive affirmations, calming sounds, and guided meditations, Amazon said in a press release.
I'm thinking more like Altered States 😂

Return to “Lounge”