Dark on Netflix

Casual conversation between friends. Anything goes (almost).
PeterC

Dark on Netflix

Post by PeterC »

Anyone else watched this? Just finished it last night. After watching Tenet I was complaining that the plot was unnecessarily complicated but this...is on a whole different level.
Rick

Re: Dark on Netflix

Post by Rick »

Yes! We needed to watch (and rewatch) the season synopses and analyses to help us figure out who was who (when and where). Normally shows that rely on that level of detail annoy me, but Dark was haunting. It's right up there with Primer (and, less, Inception) for complication of plot.
Merrily, merrily, merrily, merrily ...
ratna

Post by ratna »

It was very nice. Complicated to follow but I particularly liked how satisfying the ending was -- real closure unlike some other TV series.
Norwegian

Post by Norwegian »

PeterC wrote: Thu May 27, 2021 4:13 am Anyone else watched this? Just finished it last night. After watching Tenet I was complaining that the plot was unnecessarily complicated but this...is on a whole different level.
Dark is really great.
Queen Elizabeth II

Post by Queen Elizabeth II »

PeterC wrote: Thu May 27, 2021 4:13 am Anyone else watched this?
Not me. Just watching the preview I knew that it would be way over my head. And so for now I'll stick with Netflix's Noddy Toyland Detective series. You can never go wrong with Noddy.
zerwe

Post by zerwe »

One of my favorite shows.

Shaun :namaste:
ellisael

Post by ellisael »

Oh wow- thanks for the recommendation- I have not watched it yet. Doing a simple rerun of and critical consumption of The Great Gatsby at the moment.
Matt J

Post by Matt J »

They have handy character charts online--- I found it helpful.
"The world is made of stories, not atoms."
--- Muriel Rukeyser
Norwegian

Post by Norwegian »

Matt J wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 4:38 pm They have handy character charts online--- I found it helpful.
I would be careful in how I search though, because if you're on season 1, it's easy to get spoilers for season 2 and 3, and likewise with being on season 2.
Matt J

Post by Matt J »

I failed to transition to season 2--- I was back on forth on whether to listen to the (even more) terrible dubs, or reading what amounts to a novella of subtitles.
Norwegian wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 4:55 pm
Matt J wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 4:38 pm They have handy character charts online--- I found it helpful.
I would be careful in how I search though, because if you're on season 1, it's easy to get spoilers for season 2 and 3, and likewise with being on season 2.
"The world is made of stories, not atoms."
--- Muriel Rukeyser
zerwe

Post by zerwe »

Matt J wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 4:58 pm I failed to transition to season 2--- I was back on forth on whether to listen to the (even more) terrible dubs, or reading what amounts to a novella of subtitles.
Stick with the German. I can't stand the dubs--the voice acting is horrible.

Shaun :namaste:
Norwegian

Post by Norwegian »

Matt J wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 4:58 pm I failed to transition to season 2--- I was back on forth on whether to listen to the (even more) terrible dubs, or reading what amounts to a novella of subtitles.
I was not aware that Dark was dubbed. I watched with the original German, and had subs on, and that was perfectly fine for me.
Queequeg
Former staff member

Post by Queequeg »

I gave up trying to understand it at some point and it just washed over me like an impressionist painting.
There is no suffering to be severed. Ignorance and klesas are indivisible from bodhi. There is no cause of suffering to be abandoned. Since extremes and the false are the Middle and genuine, there is no path to be practiced. Samsara is nirvana. No severance achieved. No suffering nor its cause. No path, no end. There is no transcendent realm; there is only the one true aspect. There is nothing separate from the true aspect.
-Guanding, Perfect and Sudden Contemplation,
PeterC

Post by PeterC »

Some of the non-english-language programming on Netflix is conspicuously better than the English-language programming. Apart from Dark - Dix pour cent, which is not only very entertaining but also has a thoughtful theme on Parisian cultural relevance; and 1983, a Polish alternative-history drama on authoritarianism and the nature of freedom.
Johnny Dangerous
Global Moderator

Post by Johnny Dangerous »

Queequeg wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 12:39 am I gave up trying to understand it at some point and it just washed over me like an impressionist painting.
This is my experience too, I just gave up trying to get it and once I did I really like it.
Meditate upon Bodhicitta when afflicted by disease

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when sad

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when suffering occurs

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when you are scared

-Khunu Lama
Queequeg
Former staff member

Post by Queequeg »

PeterC wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 3:06 am Some of the non-english-language programming on Netflix is conspicuously better than the English-language programming. Apart from Dark - Dix pour cent, which is not only very entertaining but also has a thoughtful theme on Parisian cultural relevance; and 1983, a Polish alternative-history drama on authoritarianism and the nature of freedom.
I've found many non-American shows to be pretty good - this is probably not reflective of overall international offerings as the ones that make it to Netflix or Prime distribution are already selected by the distributors. Aside form that, I don't know if its just because they're being produced outside of the American entertainment-industrial complex that won't think outside of the box and give novel ideas a go or what. Or maybe that the novelty of non-American sensibilities and customs seem refreshing. And it doesn't have to be non-English content. Black Mirror is originally from the UK, I think. Frayed, which is one of the best comedies I've watched in a while, is Australian. Lupin was entertaining. I loved Midnight Diner, but maybe because that made me feel nostalgic.
Johnny Dangerous wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 6:41 am
Queequeg wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 12:39 am I gave up trying to understand it at some point and it just washed over me like an impressionist painting.
This is my experience too, I just gave up trying to get it and once I did I really like it.
A lot of times I watch these shows I'm doing something else at the same time, so I often don't need more than the feeling or impression to be entertained. I watched Dark last year and I don't think I could tell you the plot beyond there was a cave that threw people into time loops and that it was always drizzling rain. Maybe the effect is the visual analogue of contemporary pop music that is just a series of hooks.
There is no suffering to be severed. Ignorance and klesas are indivisible from bodhi. There is no cause of suffering to be abandoned. Since extremes and the false are the Middle and genuine, there is no path to be practiced. Samsara is nirvana. No severance achieved. No suffering nor its cause. No path, no end. There is no transcendent realm; there is only the one true aspect. There is nothing separate from the true aspect.
PeterC

Post by PeterC »

Queequeg wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 1:36 pm Black Mirror is originally from the UK, I think. Frayed, which is one of the best comedies I've watched in a while, is Australian. Lupin was entertaining. I loved Midnight Diner, but maybe because that made me feel nostalgic.
Black Mirror is mixed but when it’s good, it’s brilliant. The first episode of the first season is a work of genius - not only because it’s completely believable, but also because not long after it was released, it became public that the actual prime minister had, in fact, violated a dead pig.

Lupin is fun but I couldn’t quite get over the idea that this huge black guy just vanishes whenever he puts on the flimsiest of disguises. Though I guess that’s the point?

Haven’t watched frayed yet. Will try that. Midnight Diner is fun, if a little formulaic. Does it ever tell you who the chef really is?
Queequeg
Former staff member

Post by Queequeg »

PeterC wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 2:54 pm Lupin is fun but I couldn’t quite get over the idea that this huge black guy just vanishes whenever he puts on the flimsiest of disguises. Though I guess that’s the point?
heh. I thought the same thing.
Midnight Diner is fun, if a little formulaic. Does it ever tell you who the chef really is?
I don't think so - but I've also held off on a few episodes because I didn't want to finish it. I don't think they're making any more. The actor is famous.

Formulaic, and steeped in Japanese sentimentality to the point that it was almost cheesy. I've talked about this with others who have lived in Japan - almost everyone had a place like that. The walls were sticky and the smell of cooking saturated everything. And you can smoke so the air was always hazy. I've wished I could find a place like that here but its such a unique Japanese thing I think. Too much formality in Western dining. I've been to more updated versions of places like that, too, where the food is Western and contemporary, with small but excellent wine selections.
Ah, I miss Tokyo. There's my sentimentality.
PeterC

Post by PeterC »

Queequeg wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 4:36 pm
PeterC wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 2:54 pm Lupin is fun but I couldn’t quite get over the idea that this huge black guy just vanishes whenever he puts on the flimsiest of disguises. Though I guess that’s the point?
heh. I thought the same thing.
Midnight Diner is fun, if a little formulaic. Does it ever tell you who the chef really is?
I don't think so - but I've also held off on a few episodes because I didn't want to finish it. I don't think they're making any more. The actor is famous.

Formulaic, and steeped in Japanese sentimentality to the point that it was almost cheesy. I've talked about this with others who have lived in Japan - almost everyone had a place like that. The walls were sticky and the smell of cooking saturated everything. And you can smoke so the air was always hazy. I've wished I could find a place like that here but its such a unique Japanese thing I think. Too much formality in Western dining. I've been to more updated versions of places like that, too, where the food is Western and contemporary, with small but excellent wine selections.
Ah, I miss Tokyo. There's my sentimentality.
Tokyo is probably the greatest city on earth. It has so much variety.

Return to “Lounge”