Happy Victoria Day

Casual conversation between friends. Anything goes (almost).
Minobu

Happy Victoria Day

Post by Minobu »

So this when we all sing

24th of May
Is the Queen's birthday
If they don't give us a holiday
We'll all run away

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Victoria_Day
Minobu

Re: Happy Victoria Day

Post by Minobu »

did she not make a fortune of the slave trade..

someone said the slave trade was invented in Britain..

when me old man was alive he said Britain invented concentration camps and the nazis used that as a model.

Also he said that Britain drew up all these geographical lines in such a way no one would be happy and they could profit by it...they would police the regions...sell weapons to both sides...make a fortune...

really nice people eh...

I'm not a monarchist...

hard day to celebrate for me...

i stick with 24 weekend ...slang for a box of beer...canadian slang for the box of 24 beer ...

i don;t drink though so it's just a day of hatred i guess lol....
Minobu

Post by Minobu »

So another Victoria day celebration of the wicked cruella comes and goes
Budai

Post by Budai »

Look how she is depicted on this issue in this short Historical PBS Drama Clip, it’s only two minutes:

https://ca.pbslearningmedia.org/resourc ... n-england/

She seems timid, perhaps a bit misunderstood, but I don’t sense real evil from her at least in this depiction.

Slavery is a horrid crime.
Kim O'Hara
Former staff member

Post by Kim O'Hara »

Minobu wrote: Mon May 24, 2021 7:41 pm So this when we all sing

24th of May
Is the Queen's birthday
If they don't give us a holiday
We'll all run away

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Victoria_Day
All new to me. I guess your wikipedia article is right when it says, "The holiday has always been a distinctly Canadian observance." We share a lot of colonial history with you but not that bit. We have a public holiday for the "Queen's Birthday" but the Queen is Liz and it's not really on her birthday anyway.

:coffee:
Kim
Kim O'Hara
Former staff member

Post by Kim O'Hara »

Minobu wrote: Mon May 24, 2021 11:48 pm did she not make a fortune of the slave trade..
I don't know.

Someone was so far wrong that they couldn't even see the truth from where they were standing.
Ancient Greece and Rome both ran on slave power. And as for Africa ... https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slavery_in_Africa

when me old man was alive he said Britain invented concentration camps and the nazis used that as a model.
Maybe. Stalin might have contributed to the idea too. https://www.britannica.com/topic/concentration-camp
Also he said that Britain drew up all these geographical lines in such a way no one would be happy and they could profit by it...they would police the regions...sell weapons to both sides...make a fortune...
Britain (and others) did draw up unworkable national boundaries after WW1 but not for those reasons.

Bottom line: hating the monarchy is okay if that's what you want to do, but hating anyone is unproductive and unskillful (Three Poisons, remember?) and hating anyone for things they didn't actually do is ... unfair? a bit silly? both?

:juggling:
Kim
Bristollad

Post by Bristollad »

Minobu wrote: Mon May 24, 2021 11:48 pm did she not make a fortune of the slave trade..
"On 1 August 1834, the Abolition of Slavery Act, which made the purchase or owning of slaves illegal in parts of the British Empire, took effect in Britain."
https://www.bbc.co.uk/bitesize/articles/zxm3p4j

The debt incurred by Britain to pay the "owners" compensation was only finally paid off in 2015.
Queen Victoria came to power in 1837 at age 18, three years after the Abolition of Slavery Act became law.
So no, she didn't make a fortune off of slavery.
While Victoria was in power, Britain actively tried to stop the African slave trade. Queen Victoria was godmother to a freed slave presented as a diplomatic gift by the King of Dahomey.
https://www.theguardian.com/artanddesi ... r-unveiled

And slavery wasn't all one-sided: Barbary Pirates and English Slaves by Ben Johnson
https://www.historic-uk.com/HistoryUK/H ... sh-Slaves/

Slavery is an evil that has been practised by many cultures in many places. It is still practised now, sometimes legally and sometimes illegally and should be fought wherever it is found.
The antidote—to be free from the suffering of samsara—you need to be free from delusion and karma; you need to be free from ignorance, the root of samsara. So you need to meditate on emptiness. That is what you need. Lama Zopa Rinpoche
Minobu

Post by Minobu »

Kim O'Hara wrote: Tue May 25, 2021 12:05 pm
I don't know.

Someone was so far wrong that they couldn't even see the truth from where they were standing.
Ancient Greece and Rome both ran on slave power. And as for Africa ... https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slavery_in_Africa

Maybe. Stalin might have contributed to the idea too. https://www.britannica.com/topic/concentration-camp
Britain (and others) did draw up unworkable national boundaries after WW1 but not for those reasons.

Bottom line: hating the monarchy is okay if that's what you want to do, but hating anyone is unproductive and unskillful (Three Poisons, remember?) and hating anyone for things they didn't actually do is ... unfair? a bit silly? both?

Kim
why would you include me in this hate thing..

i don't have the ability to hate.

ok so i got her wrong...history is rewritten all the time..i saw some movie about her and they depicted almost saintly and in love with some guy from India.

i'm not into what Britain did in the past..

i'm not into what is going on in the mid east and other parts of the world.

still it does not produce hatred..

people have screwed me over like you have no idea...

i welcome it due to karma..

i thank them for it is my problem not theirs...if not them someone else..

my take...lets get it over with...

my own brother used to smother me in the crib...when i could learn to speak he stopped. he put a firecracker on me stomach, melted plastic rubber stuff on my hand...said it would not hurt...
i thank him for it...if not him someone else.

once you react to this shit you tie the knot for it happening again and again..

it's all deserved so why hate the person..

that being said i'm not happy that stuff like goerge floyd goes on in america and my country.
Minobu

Post by Minobu »

Minobu wrote: Mon May 24, 2021 11:48 pm .

i don;t drink though so it's just a day of hatred i guess lol....
this is not me hating her or them it is my take on what britain did . hateful stuff.

i can see why one would think i spend the day hatin though...

is loatheing the same as hateing...dunno...
Minobu

Post by Minobu »

Kim O'Hara wrote: Tue May 25, 2021 12:05 pm

Kim
You were perfectly justified in saying this...i did not realize i used that word...

something good came out of it for me though...thank you..
i got to say something i have wanted to put to type for like decades.
Shotenzenjin

Post by Shotenzenjin »

The slavery of Greece and Rome was a different form of slavery then race based chattel slavery of the rising British Empire.

Slavery is still slavery true. but there are differences

I'm not a monarchist and agree with my friend minobu in this regard.

Victoria was a monster. And there are mounds of dead natives who were killed in her name and for her empire. And mounds of dead Indians who revolted during her reign that were brutally murdered.

In her name for her empire

Canada was built on murder and theft. The murders at the hands of the state are still ongoing though not as in the open or accepted as it once was but it's still ongoing.

frak queen vic and Liz. may they kiss my Buddhist ass
Generation's shall pass, our determination shall grow, at the foot of Mount Fuji
Like smoke that reaches far beyond the clouds.--nichimoku shonin. Third high priest of Nichiren Shoshu

Hokekko of true Buddhism https://nstny.org

Introduction to Nichiren Shoshu Buddhism
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source= ... VKyEQ_cxK9
Danny

Post by Danny »

Minobu wrote: Mon May 24, 2021 11:48 pm

Try the Portuguese. (Modern slave trade)
Ancient slavery was everywhere to the point of normalcy.
The British ended slave trade.

Minobu

Post by Minobu »

Danny wrote: Tue May 25, 2021 4:19 pm

Try the Portuguese.
i was referring to the whole use of jamaica as a landing point to sell slaves in america.

yeah even jesus sort of condoned slavery in the bible...like render unto caesar what is caesar's..

and somewhere in the bible there is a mention of slaves like it is normal..

so i know they did not invent it...but they sure did monetize it in the americas.. They were america..

and look at what they did when drawing up lines in geography..

they made sure of conflict.

When colonialism became an embarressment and had to change...they gave India the Kashmir, they divided Pakistan and Bangladesh thing..

They took British occupied Iraq and made one state instead of three...kurds shites and suni are still at each others throats.

When jews were bombing the King Eddy hotel and the prison and drive by shootings they caved in and displaced palestinians....before anyone starts i trully believe Israel has a right to land as does Tibet...but look at that mess...

it's like that every where Britain drerw lines in the sand...

meh ...

God the Creator was invented in order to place a crown on a king and forever assure his blood line power...Read Guns germs and Steel ..

we were doing fine as hunter gathers and there were no bosses..this all came later with agriculture.

Queen elizabeth said she believes God put her there...i mean it's 2021 and people believe this crappolla..

I recall a Saudi prince of being accused of stealing 65 million dollars ..he practically admitted and then pointed his finger and said on 60 minutes....He said look at britain...what about that star...

He knew...they all know...

and yeah Canada is born from the same crap...the whole system is flawed...and based on lies...

i grew up in montreal and the first thing you learn is to fight the French...divide and conquer eh..no one talks about it...the french and english bullshit in quebec is legendary and is just brushed under the rug..

the french are told not to learn english ...which is like a huge collar around their neck to keep them in quebec..

anyway the queen and all this pomp and ceremony is bullshit.

i have to watch my wife adore these people...nightmare....lol...
Last edited by Minobu on Tue May 25, 2021 4:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Shotenzenjin

Post by Shotenzenjin »

Danny wrote: Tue May 25, 2021 4:19 pm

Try the Portuguese. (Modern slave trade)
Ancient slavery was everywhere to the point of normalcy.
The British ended slave trade.

The Brits ended the slave trade after They made their loot with it.
Meh
Generation's shall pass, our determination shall grow, at the foot of Mount Fuji
Like smoke that reaches far beyond the clouds.--nichimoku shonin. Third high priest of Nichiren Shoshu

Minobu

Post by Minobu »

Recently i had a chat in the park with a stranger...

I was explaining that when i grew up we had no idea that slaves were part of the Canadian thing as well..we were not taught this..

now it is out in the open..

she went bonkers . she was from Britain and she said i was lying for everyone was taught this in school..

i said maybe in Britain not in Canada in the 60's...

the convo ended in her huffing off...

so i guess Britain teaches how nice they were to end slavery...

unreal,..,.
Shotenzenjin

Post by Shotenzenjin »

Revolutionary France ended it before the Brits. Though Napoleon re established it.

Minobu

Post by Minobu »

Shotenzenjin wrote: Tue May 25, 2021 4:58 pm Revolutionary France ended it before the Brits. Though Napoleon re established it.
Slavery ? wow very cool..

when i see documentaries of how France accepted Black American jazz muscians with total dignity it makes me proud to be of the human race.

Grand Dad was half French half Italian from norther Italy. His mom died at his birth so his dad named him Jean Batiste.

He ended up being the head pastry chef for around 47 years at the Ritz Carleton in montreal..

when they wanted to bring talent from europe he had them instead take from French quebec...There were head chefs from Quebec due to him...He loved Quebec.
He was never political, although Premier Duplessi referred to him as 'Mon Petite Itlaienne "
Shotenzenjin

Post by Shotenzenjin »

Minobu wrote: Tue May 25, 2021 5:10 pm
Shotenzenjin wrote: Tue May 25, 2021 4:58 pm Revolutionary France ended it before the Brits. Though Napoleon re established it.

when i see documentaries of how France accepted Black American jazz muscians with total dignity it makes me proud to be of the human race.

Grand Dad was half French half Italian from norther Italy. His mom died at his birth so his dad named him Jean Batiste.

He ended up being the head pastry chef for around 47 years at the Ritz Carleton in montreal..

when they wanted to bring talent from europe he had them instead take from French quebec...There were head chefs from Quebec due to him...He loved Quebec.
He was never political, although Premier Duplessi referred to him as 'Mon Petite Itlaienne "
Yep slavery.
Cool about your granddad

Minobu

Post by Minobu »

Shotenzenjin wrote: Tue May 25, 2021 5:22 pm
Minobu wrote: Tue May 25, 2021 5:10 pm

Yep slavery.
Cool about your granddad
man the guy was incredible. He won top world wide prize for Sucre Fantasie for over 40 years.
He made a beautiful birthday cake for and presented it to Queen elizabeth..

there is this old French are of using heat and cold to turn raw sugar into any color of the rainbow .

I actually stopped believing this until i met Anna Olson of the show sugar...and she said they teach it now at Sheridan collage.

So like he made Elizabeth's taylor's wedding cake when she married Burton the first time.

he loathed people who thought they were better than others and there is a reason you won't find a picture of it online.

So like he could not believe she was in her 20's and this was already like her 5th wedding or something..

so she was bugging him about the cake and he said you are worried about the cake but this is your 5th(? don't recall exact) marriage. I've talked to your fiance and he is a very nice man now you marry him and make it the last...well people went bonkers you cannot talk to her like that blah blah...

he just shrugged it off...Royalty used to hang with him and watch him bake...the previous prince of wales would always try to lose his handlers and when in montreal the first place they would look and find him would be the Ritz's kitchen where he would have grand dad make fresh strawberry ice cream...he made everything from scratch totally...including chocolate..

he would bring this bars that looked like one of those huge gold bricks...of solid chocolate to me and brother...you needed a hammer and knife to chip a piece of it...and it was divine..

very cool guy...never fired anyone..

he would find the guy a job and tell him he recommended him to such and such hotel because he had cut staff..but because he was so good he recommended him...most of the time the person would end up trying there best at the new job not to let him down...even though he was lousey to start with..

yeah grand da..what a guy..
came to America went through ellis island on the way over he heard how italians were treated in new york so he tossed his papers over board and came in as a french man...later in montreal he reinstalled his whole name.....

was in San Fran earthquake..the st louis world's fair...ended up in montreal , oh yeah he worked at and opened the plaza hotel in NYC...then moved to montreal...

was in WWI saved a few guys and had a mention in the Royal Montreal Regiment ..

worked till he was 82...could not take retirement and went back at 84 ..i have the news paper clipping huge spread where he returned to Ritz ..big news at the time...retired at 86...

around 87 ended up in retirement home..

taking him there me and the old man were pretty glum...when we got there they put him in a room with another Italian guy...when they met they exchanged words fell into each other's arms..cried..me and dad knew all his friends...who was this guy...

it was the guy , another chef, who met on the boat coming to america...they parted only to be together again in their last years....

Return to “Lounge”