Why can't Buddha liberate beings?

Casual conversation between friends. Anything goes (almost).
Schrödinger’s Yidam

Why can't Buddha liberate beings?

Post by Schrödinger’s Yidam »

1.The problem isn’t ‘ignorance’. The problem is the mind you have right now. (H.H. Karmapa XVII @NYC 2/4/18)
2. I support Mingyur R and HHDL in their positions against lama abuse.
3. Student: Lama, I thought I might die but then I realized that the 3 Jewels would protect me.
Lama: Even If you had died the 3 Jewels would still have protected you. (DW post by Fortyeightvows)
Queequeg
Former staff member

Re: Why can't Buddha liberate beings?

Post by Queequeg »

The mudra for that teaching starts with the welcoming gesture, and as easily as a strong man bends his arm, the hand is brought up to cover the face.
There is no suffering to be severed. Ignorance and klesas are indivisible from bodhi. There is no cause of suffering to be abandoned. Since extremes and the false are the Middle and genuine, there is no path to be practiced. Samsara is nirvana. No severance achieved. No suffering nor its cause. No path, no end. There is no transcendent realm; there is only the one true aspect. There is nothing separate from the true aspect.
-Guanding, Perfect and Sudden Contemplation,
Norwegian

Post by Norwegian »

Queequeg wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 7:36 pm
The mudra for that teaching starts with the welcoming gesture, and as easily as a strong man bends his arm, the hand is brought up to cover the face.
The Picard Facepalm is a go-to for the above video.
Johnny Dangerous
Global Moderator

Post by Johnny Dangerous »

Oh man that's a keeper.
Meditate upon Bodhicitta when afflicted by disease

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when sad

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when suffering occurs

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when you are scared

-Khunu Lama
Schrödinger’s Yidam

Post by Schrödinger’s Yidam »

A friend said the teaching the video describes is on "Habitual Tendencies".
1.The problem isn’t ‘ignorance’. The problem is the mind you have right now. (H.H. Karmapa XVII @NYC 2/4/18)
2. I support Mingyur R and HHDL in their positions against lama abuse.
3. Student: Lama, I thought I might die but then I realized that the 3 Jewels would protect me.
Lama: Even If you had died the 3 Jewels would still have protected you. (DW post by Fortyeightvows)
Budai

Post by Budai »

So we can eliminate more than a bajillion years of bad karma by looking at a mantra that can open up Awakening (Edit), go to Heaven by saying another important one (Namu Amida Butsu) ten times, so how much closer is the most important thing, a liberation from the Buddha, to us, if we are receptive to it? What is Transmission, Empowerment, and Teaching?
Last edited by Budai on Mon Apr 19, 2021 5:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
FiveSkandhas

Post by FiveSkandhas »

LOL. May that sheep soon reach the shore of non-retrogression beyond all ditches (and beyond the three poisons too, of course).
"One should cultivate contemplation in one’s foibles. The foibles are like fish, and contemplation is like fishing hooks. If there are no fish, then the fishing hooks have no use. The bigger the fish is, the better the result we will get. As long as the fishing hooks keep at it, all foibles will eventually be contained and controlled at will." -Zhiyi

"Just be kind." -Atisha
Giovanni

Post by Giovanni »

That’s me... Giovanni the sheep.
Budai

Post by Budai »

Some people are just so sick of this world that they would rather be in that condition. Some of us have been there. A sheep’s life isn’t easy. So let’s be good shepherds! :namaste:
FiveSkandhas

Post by FiveSkandhas »

Not to be a party-pooper, but once you have received decisive rebirth in the Pure Land through the other-power of Amida Nyorai's Fundamental vow, you are "Grasped...never to be let go" (摂取不捨) and there is no more retrogression.
南無阿弥陀仏。
"One should cultivate contemplation in one’s foibles. The foibles are like fish, and contemplation is like fishing hooks. If there are no fish, then the fishing hooks have no use. The bigger the fish is, the better the result we will get. As long as the fishing hooks keep at it, all foibles will eventually be contained and controlled at will." -Zhiyi

"Just be kind." -Atisha
Budai

Post by Budai »

FiveSkandhas wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 1:27 am Not to be a party-pooper, but once you have received decisive rebirth in the Pure Land through the other-power of Amida Nyorai's Fundamental vow, you are "Grasped...never to be let go" (摂取不捨) and there is no more retrogression.
南無阿弥陀仏。
That is quite good. The state of no regression is quite important in Buddhism. Can one “pretend” to let go of it (impossibly) by an act of Expedient Means to help someone in a very low place? That is how Gautama came to an Enlightnment He already had. One can still [seemingly] suffer quite greatly while being [seemingly] in the divide and simultaneously in the Pure Land, so we should still take care of each other even though our Masters may be Realized and some Bodhisattvas we know may have already visited the Pure Land.

But yes, the state of no regression in the Pure Land, is a great blessing. Namu Amida Butsu. There are also those Myriad of denizens and Buddhas who never leave the Pure Land. May they prosper. :anjali:

Nam Myoho Renge Kyo.

Return to “Lounge”