No real sense of how I come across

Casual conversation between friends. Anything goes (almost).
Hazel
Former staff member

No real sense of how I come across

Post by Hazel »

Something I struggle with is a sort of disconnect between how I perceive myself to be at work versus how people report I am.

I see myself as short tempered, argumentative, insensitive, and highly demanding. All qualities I want to decrease and manage the damage of.

The feedback I get is that I am a pleasure to work with, constructive in my discussions, respectful of others, and in a general good mood.

I don't know what to do about this. I want to work to be a better person, but where do I draw the line between what I am and what I am afraid of being?
Happy Pride month to my queer dharma siblings!

What do you see when you turn out the lights?
Queequeg
Former staff member

Re: No real sense of how I come across

Post by Queequeg »

Sounds like you are finely attuned to your inner life. Being so conscientious, you are a good and pleasant fellow to others Sounds like you are doing it right.

Just one thing, don't be so hard on yourself. You are probably your biggest critic.

As my teacher would say, have compassion for yourself because he is my student. You are the buddha's adored student. Have compassion for them.
There is no suffering to be severed. Ignorance and klesas are indivisible from bodhi. There is no cause of suffering to be abandoned. Since extremes and the false are the Middle and genuine, there is no path to be practiced. Samsara is nirvana. No severance achieved. No suffering nor its cause. No path, no end. There is no transcendent realm; there is only the one true aspect. There is nothing separate from the true aspect.
-Guanding, Perfect and Sudden Contemplation,
narhwal90
Global Moderator

Post by narhwal90 »

I have to keep reminding myself that nothing I observe is truely as it appears. That internal critical voice has the sound of truth but that does not make it so and if I leave it alone in a few minutes it will be off tilting at a different windmill.
PeterC

Post by PeterC »

Hazel wrote: Fri Mar 12, 2021 4:47 pm Something I struggle with is a sort of disconnect between how I perceive myself to be at work versus how people report I am.
Neither of these people truly exist in the first place anyway

Return to “Lounge”