Is Buddhism a methodological solipsism?

Casual conversation between friends. Anything goes (almost).
Bristollad

Re: Is Buddhism a methodological solipsism?

Post by Bristollad »

tkp67 wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 4:44 pm
PeterC wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 4:41 pm
tkp67 wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 4:13 pm

I know my friend, I know. I am not patronizing here. While I seem frivolous with belief that isn't a projection of my own mind. Do you realize I had to challenge the same distinctions. For me I could only do this through the lowest common denominator of empirical evidence.
No, that’s not it. It’s not that we don’t understand you because your ideas are profound. It’s that we simply can’t understand what you’re saying because your posts are very confusingly written, and seem not to address the questions being discussed. Sorry.
What I am saying isn't profound.

I simply don't let my mind adhere to paradigms that serve 0 purpose.

That is why I say where is the benefit to your statements.

Remember friend one's mind determines the aspect of phenomenon one chooses to recognize (or not).

:anjali:
Profundity or the lack of it isn't the problem. It's your use of English. Is English your native language? I wondered because you often seem to mix up nouns, adjectives, verbs and adverbs. This is often why I give up trying to understand any point you're trying to make - because what you write is incomprehensible.
The antidote—to be free from the suffering of samsara—you need to be free from delusion and karma; you need to be free from ignorance, the root of samsara. So you need to meditate on emptiness. That is what you need. Lama Zopa Rinpoche
Queequeg
Former staff member

Post by Queequeg »

tkp67 wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 4:13 pm

I know my friend, I know. I am not patronizing here. While I seem frivolous with belief that isn't a projection of my own mind. Do you realize I had to challenge the same distinctions. For me I could only do this through the lowest common denominator of empirical evidence.
No, that’s not it. It’s not that we don’t understand you because your ideas are profound. It’s that we simply can’t understand what you’re saying because your posts are very confusingly written, and seem not to address the questions being discussed. Sorry.

Remember friend one's mind determines the aspect of phenomenon one chooses to recognize (or not).

It would help if you at least stuck to English, with its generally accepted meanings and syntax, as a paradigm. That's just a suggestion, though.
There is no suffering to be severed. Ignorance and klesas are indivisible from bodhi. There is no cause of suffering to be abandoned. Since extremes and the false are the Middle and genuine, there is no path to be practiced. Samsara is nirvana. No severance achieved. No suffering nor its cause. No path, no end. There is no transcendent realm; there is only the one true aspect. There is nothing separate from the true aspect.
-Guanding, Perfect and Sudden Contemplation,
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

Queequeg wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 6:24 pm

It would help if you at least stuck to English, with its generally accepted meanings and syntax, as a paradigm. That's just a suggestion, though.
Based on cause and condition and without resort to predetermined outcomes, the awakening of the buddha surpasses the localized variants of time in your outlook, which prevaricates in tandem with the integration of all ten realms in one moment. QED.

We just have to learn his language...
tkp67

Post by tkp67 »

My language is fine. Meaning is based on two variables. Intent and interpretation both of which are driven by desires.

It is like a weird variant of mad libs.
tkp67

Post by tkp67 »

Bristollad wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 6:17 pm Profundity or the lack of it isn't the problem. It's your use of English. Is English your native language? I wondered because you often seem to mix up nouns, adjectives, verbs and adverbs. This is often why I give up trying to understand any point you're trying to make - because what you write is incomprehensible.
How can you talk about something that cannot be defined by distinction? You can't.

You can talk around it in a myriad of ways.

I understand that people are conditioned for an academic discourse as a sign of possession of knoweldge but as I said before I don't put much into counter intuitive positions regardless of how powerfully they are adhered to in other minds.

I have yet to find the benefit. I am open to understanding one but I can't find it from my perspective.
Johnny Dangerous
Global Moderator

Post by Johnny Dangerous »

Ok this has really gone off the rails, and I'm not sure the original post was even done in good fatih. Gonna go ahead and call it a day with this one.
Meditate upon Bodhicitta when afflicted by disease

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when sad

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when suffering occurs

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when you are scared

-Khunu Lama
Cool-team

Re: Does Buddhism preach any form of solipsism?

Post by Cool-team »

Johnny Dangerous wrote: Fri Feb 05, 2021 10:05 pm
Cool-team wrote: Fri Feb 05, 2021 10:03 pm about 10 percent of the population are Buddhists. I read on the Internet that Buddhism is solipsism. This is why I want to ask you: 1. Does Buddhism preach solipsism and skepticism of other minds?
Nope, absolutely not.
(that is, one who believes in Buddhism must believe that only he has consciousness, and other people - philosophical zombies)? 2. Does this mean that Buddhism supports all forms of solipsism? That is, 10 percent of the population are people who do not believe that other people have the same consciousness, mind and feelings as they do? In other words, are all Buddhists or all other people just an illusion (philosophical zombies)? For example, when I talk to a Buddhist, does he think I'm a philosophical zombie? Thanks
Nope, don't know where you heard it, but that viewpoint would be uniformly rejected in Buddhist thought.
I read on the Internet that Buddhism is solipsism
Again nope, you either misinterpreted something or read something which simply was not true.
why is Buddhism not a form of solipsism (epistemological, methodological, metaphysical? thank you
Johnny Dangerous
Global Moderator

Post by Johnny Dangerous »

Cool-team wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 1:31 am
Cool-team wrote: Fri Feb 05, 2021 10:03 pm about 10 percent of the population are Buddhists. I read on the Internet that Buddhism is solipsism. This is why I want to ask you: 1. Does Buddhism preach solipsism and skepticism of other minds?
Nope, absolutely not.
(that is, one who believes in Buddhism must believe that only he has consciousness, and other people - philosophical zombies)? 2. Does this mean that Buddhism supports all forms of solipsism? That is, 10 percent of the population are people who do not believe that other people have the same consciousness, mind and feelings as they do? In other words, are all Buddhists or all other people just an illusion (philosophical zombies)? For example, when I talk to a Buddhist, does he think I'm a philosophical zombie? Thanks
Nope, don't know where you heard it, but that viewpoint would be uniformly rejected in Buddhist thought.
Again nope, you either misinterpreted something or read something which simply was not true.
why is Buddhism not a form of solipsism (epistemological, methodological, metaphysical? thank you
Because it doesn't deny that sentient beings have individual mindstreams. In fact, it is predicated on the fact that they do, otherwise Buddhahood would not be possible.

Beyond that, if you want to continue you need to explain why you think Buddhism *is* or might be a form of solipsism. You are here on a Buddhist site, asking a random question with no background as to what school or part of Buddhism you are talking about.

So basically, you are taking a philosophical concept unrelated to Buddhism and asking people to "disprove" that Buddhism meets the criteria for that philosophy.

Rather, you should figure out what part of Buddhist doctrine you are asking about, then specifically either explain why it's solipsism, or simply ask about it.

The approach you are taking here is possibly contrary to the ToS, and moreover is probably a waste of time. I will shutter the thread if you can't be more specific about your questions, and/or learn enough about Buddhism to properly criticize it or compare it to something else.
Meditate upon Bodhicitta when afflicted by disease

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when sad

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when suffering occurs

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when you are scared

-Khunu Lama
muni

Post by muni »

We have our own individual karmic dream, which is our prison. That is why there is great variety of medicines in Buddhism, to come out, to awaken by compassionate enlightened guidance.

Buddhism makes clear: dependence-emptiness. No independent self standing alone. Then what to compare?

Possible not having studied different philosophies could be more easy? Then there is not the problem "is it like this or like that." Then clarity is necessary.

ps The words by Garchen Rinpoche here below are explanation of meditation, coming out of prison, NOT object to discuss or argue.
“We are each living in our own soap opera. We do not see things as they really are. We see only our interpretations. This is because our minds are always so busy...But when the mind calms down, it becomes clear. This mental clarity enables us to see things as they really are, instead of projecting our commentary on everything.” Jetsunma Tenzin Palmo.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6bg9jOYnEUA
PeterC

Post by PeterC »

Cool-team wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 1:31 am
Nope, absolutely not.
Didn't we have this discussion here ->https://www.dharmawheel.net/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=35834 ?

Is there more to be gained from this discussion?
tkp67

Post by tkp67 »

Cool-team wrote: Fri Feb 05, 2021 11:11 pm
Queequeg wrote: Fri Feb 05, 2021 11:02 pm Even though there are no beings, including ourselves, we vow to liberate them.

I think many people who don't bother to try and understand Buddhism will try to put the teachings into neat little boxes by which they order their own worlds. If they only understood what Buddhists are actually saying... their minds might melt, much of it in a good way!
Thank you, but i don't understand you, can you explain your answer?
The formulation of thought is biased by every moment one's mind has existed in one's body. For example the definition of mother is personalized by your own familial experiences. Same with culture, language and even palate.

All of the defined concepts that one would use to invalidate/validate solipsism are in and of themselves manifestations of the very same mind. The mind creates the very illusions that would allow them to appear as such (true reality).

How do you measure the boundaries of a concept when one's own mind is the one that imposes them?

Return to “Lounge”