The KLF, but Buddhists?

Casual conversation between friends. Anything goes (almost).
Hazel

The KLF, but Buddhists?

Post by Hazel »

I'm trying to imagine the outrageous experimental hiphop of the KLF, but Buddhist instead of Discordian. I think this is what I'm going to try to make for my next track.

Any other KLF fans here?

Klesha Liberation Front...
Justified Ancients of Rajagaha...
Kick out the Delusions....

108 Skidoo!

:crazy:
Johnny Dangerous
Global Moderator

Re: The KLF, but Buddhists?

Post by Johnny Dangerous »

The KLF is gonna rock ya.

Yeah, I have definitely been a fan.
"...if you think about how many hours, months and years of your life you've spent looking at things, being fascinated by things that have now passed away, then how wonderful to spend even five minutes looking into the nature of your own mind."

-James Low
FiveSkandhas

Post by FiveSkandhas »

I'm not going to lie: while I do not wish to slander members of the Sangha, I can't really get behind this...uh...approach. I think it lacks dignity, and dignity today is one of the least-recognized but most rapidly vanishing of human necessities.

But hey, they exist, so I'm reporting on 'em.

Hoodie Monks
We are a group of Buddhist Monks, MC's, DJs, B-Boys and Street Artists dedicated to sharing Buddhist thought and practice through hip hop culture.
https://www.hoodiemonks.com/

Could the introduction of hip hop in a Buddhist temple signify a new revolution in the Buddhism religion? One priest has it all. An American Buddhist priest who lives in Japan, Kevin Seperic, popularly known as Gomyo, has made this possible through his movement ‘Hoodie Monks.’
https://www.worldreligionnews.com/relig ... ist-wisdom
"One should cultivate contemplation in one’s foibles. The foibles are like fish, and contemplation is like fishing hooks. If there are no fish, then the fishing hooks have no use. The bigger the fish is, the better the result we will get. As long as the fishing hooks keep at it, all foibles will eventually be contained and controlled at will." -Zhiyi
Johnny Dangerous
Global Moderator

I like Buddhist music which is actually practice-based myself. I think Buddhist pop music tends to end up as music about being Buddhist which can be kind of superficial at times.

Not saying it has to be, just that it's a tendency.
"...if you think about how many hours, months and years of your life you've spent looking at things, being fascinated by things that have now passed away, then how wonderful to spend even five minutes looking into the nature of your own mind."

-James Low
DharmaN00b

Post by DharmaN00b »

A tendency for Buddhist people to be joyful! yeah :twothumbsup:
Johnny Dangerous
Global Moderator

DharmaN00b wrote: Sat Jan 09, 2021 8:55 pm A tendency for Buddhist people to be joyful! yeah :twothumbsup:
Hey everyone has their own deal, music is of course very subjective and people should do what makes them happy. Just because I don't like doesn't mean it isn't wonderful.

-James Low
Caoimhghín

Post by Caoimhghín »

Johnny Dangerous wrote: Sat Jan 09, 2021 7:51 pm The KLF is gonna rock ya.
For some reason, I read this to the tune of "Juicy Fruit, it's gonna move ya!"
Last edited by Caoimhghín on Sat Jan 09, 2021 10:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Then, the monks sang this gāthā:

These bodies are like foam.
Them being frail, who can rejoice in them?
The Buddha attained the vajra-body.
Still, it becomes inconstant and rots.
The many Buddhas are vajra-entities.
All are also subject to inconstancy.
Quickly ended, like melting snow --
how could things be different?

The Buddha passed into parinirvāṇa afterward.
(T1.27b10 Mahāparinirvāṇasūtra DĀ 2)
Genjo Conan

Post by Genjo Conan »

I think the key test of religious music is that it has to be good music first. There's oodles of great music dealing with Christian themes, but there's also dreadful "Christian Rock." Unfortunately, most of the modern Buddhist pop/rock/rap/etc. that I've heard just isn't that good--or at least, not to my ear.
Johnny Dangerous
Global Moderator

Caoimhghín wrote: Sat Jan 09, 2021 10:23 pm
For some reason, I read this to the tune of "Juicy Fruit, it's gonna mova ya!"
For reference:

-James Low
Norwegian

Post by Norwegian »

Johnny Dangerous wrote: Sat Jan 09, 2021 10:35 pm
Caoimhghín wrote: Sat Jan 09, 2021 10:23 pm
For some reason, I read this to the tune of "Juicy Fruit, it's gonna mova ya!"
For reference:

Good times.
"The Guru is the Buddha, the Guru is the Dharma,
The Guru is the Sangha too,
The Guru is Śrī Heruka.
The All-Creating King is the Guru."

-- The Secret Assembly Tantra
Hazel

Post by Hazel »

Genjo Conan wrote: Sat Jan 09, 2021 10:31 pm I think the key test of religious music is that it has to be good music first. There's oodles of great music dealing with Christian themes, but there's also dreadful "Christian Rock." Unfortunately, most of the modern Buddhist pop/rock/rap/etc. that I've heard just isn't that good--or at least, not to my ear.
Why does it have to be good?

I just want to make music and work closely with the prayers and mantras that inspire me. Sharing with others I know I can bring some joy to the hearts of the people who know me personally. And it just feels good to share.

If goodness were truly the test then it would suggest no one should make music, because bad is where everyone starts out. And to certain people's perspectives, that's where they remain forever.

Edit: Sorry, this both came across as confrontational AND read more into what you said than I think you meant. Consider this just using what you said as a platform for working out ideas.
Last edited by Hazel on Sun Jan 10, 2021 9:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hazel

Post by Hazel »

Johnny Dangerous wrote: Sat Jan 09, 2021 8:23 pm I like Buddhist music which is actually practice-based myself. I think Buddhist pop music tends to end up as music about being Buddhist which can be kind of superficial at times.

My artistic vision is more just musical recitation of prayers to a beat with some embellishments. Maybe some sutras. I don't feel qualified to share original words about Dharma.
taleen

Post by taleen »

Hazel wrote: Sun Jan 10, 2021 9:48 pm
Johnny Dangerous wrote: Sat Jan 09, 2021 8:23 pm I like Buddhist music which is actually practice-based myself. I think Buddhist pop music tends to end up as music about being Buddhist which can be kind of superficial at times.

My artistic vision is more just musical recitation of prayers to a beat with some embellishments. Maybe some sutras. I don't feel qualified to share original words about Dharma.
Something like this?

Last edited by Ayu on Mon Jan 11, 2021 12:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Fixed link: www,youtube is needed instead of m.youtube. [url] is not necessary.
Ayu
Global Moderator

Post by Ayu »

Hazel wrote: Sun Jan 10, 2021 9:45 pm
Genjo Conan wrote: Sat Jan 09, 2021 10:31 pm I think the key test of religious music is that it has to be good music first. There's oodles of great music dealing with Christian themes, but there's also dreadful "Christian Rock." Unfortunately, most of the modern Buddhist pop/rock/rap/etc. that I've heard just isn't that good--or at least, not to my ear.
Why does it have to be good?

I just want to make music and work closely with the prayers and mantras that inspire me. Sharing with others I know I can bring some joy to the hearts of the people who know me personally. And it just feels good to share.

If goodness were truly the test then it would suggest no one should make music, because bad is where everyone starts out. And to certain people's perspectives, that's where they remain forever.

Edit: Sorry, this both came across as confrontational AND read more into what you said than I think you meant. Consider this just using what you said as a platform for working out ideas.
IMO music should be 'good' in the sense of 'fine'. That's helpful for my emotional nervous system. Stamping idiots melodies are crude and stupid in my view. Instead some blue notes and an unexpected melody is needed. Then it helps to widen the mind.
Only in my taste. :smile:
For the benefit and ease of all sentient beings. :heart:
Hazel

Post by Hazel »

taleen wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 9:51 am
Hazel wrote: Sun Jan 10, 2021 9:48 pm

Something like this?

I'd aim to be way less saccharine. Also would avoid like the plague trying to include traditional elements like instruments... There are songs that seem like they are trying to sound like Buddhism (whatever that means to the artist), which I don't think is possible so comes across as hokey.

In summary, too happy, too cheesy.

I want like an actual song, just with prayers for lyrics.

Return to “Lounge”